PDA

View Full Version : Help please with setup for 2 PC's and broadband

Gedc
07-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Guys

Currently with Actrix ISP and the PC in the study is hardwired through a DLINK 302G ADSL modem into the wall. Original xtra issue around 4 years ago.

Looking at setting up a family PC in another room - Kid friendly and lets me actually get near my own machine without fighting through Lego websites.

I also have phone points in that room that work fine but in order to get both PC's working on the same broadband account ' think' I need a router setup.

I don't want to run extra cables so once again ' think' I am looking for a router with both hardwired ( study PC - as is) and wireless connectivity ( family PC in another room). I appreciate I would have to put a wireless card into one the kids PC.

So can anyone help/ confirm or indeed add their knowledge to the best setup and best products / brands to use. Cost and value is important but reliability and ease of use balance that out.

It would be good if the product was easy to port forward on as I also use filesharing a lot and need to do this to ensure connectivity. My IP address is not static if that makes a difference.

Thanks for reading and help

Ged

Bantu
07-03-2008, 02:05 PM
"hardwired through a DLINK 302G ADSL modem"

That modem has a RJ-45 socket, plug your other computer into that maybe.

If that does not work then yes you will need a router.

Wall (Phone Jack) to Router. Router to Each PC via RJ-45 patch cables.

Gedc
07-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks for your reply Bantu. The othe PC is in another room in the house - a different room from where the modem is.

I was planning on not running cables up walls into the roofspace and down into the next room hence was looking for a wireless setup for the kids pc?

Does that make sense?

Speedy Gonzales
07-03-2008, 03:09 PM
This doesn't support wireless does it?

If it doesnt, you'll have to buy a wireless router. Or wireless something

Or buy another modem/router, with wireless on it.

Which will make things easier.

I'm using the Dlink G604GT Gen II wireless/modem router.

I havent used the wireless on it tho. But, apart from that, I havent had any probs with the 2 of us on Xnet, and file sharing etc

This uses port forwarding. I only use it for IRC.

You have to have a static ip (your IP address that is, not from the ISP), for it to work properly

I dont use P2P programs tho, its an easy way of getting infected.

Taurus
07-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks for your reply Bantu. The othe PC is in another room in the house - a different room from where the modem is.

I was planning on not running cables up walls into the roofspace and down into the next room hence was looking for a wireless setup for the kids pc?

Does that make sense?

Get a wireless router. Price ranges from $140 to $200. You can still connect yours with the cable you have. Get a wireless USB network card. Just plug into your kid's computer, enter your ISP and router settings and you are connected in a jiffy (about 5-10 mins only).

I'm using USR9108 wireless with built-in USB print server. Connect a USB printer to the router. Your kid will be able to print wirelessly as well.

Speedy Gonzales
07-03-2008, 03:19 PM
uh you only have to put in ips on the wireless cards.

And configure the security. And configure firewalls (if any are installed).

If you've done it right, (once you configure all of them that is), they'll share files / print (once u configure the printer), and share the net.

And make sure both have the same workgroup name

Gedc
07-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Sounds great guys.

The router with wireless print sounds perfect as well...

Will take a looksee and then decide on the new PC next... See how much I can get past the mrs :):drool

Cheers

Ged

Speedy Gonzales
07-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Iit doesnt support wireless printing by default / natively.

If you configure the printer properly, printing will work that is.

As if it were connected by ethernet cable.

(Well it has worked using wireless here, it may not with all printers).

Altho this may also depend on how far apart the 2 pc's are. On how good filesharing / the net works, (likewise for the printer)

mzee
12-03-2008, 06:09 PM
I have a 'Netgear' WGR614 Wireless router and it works well. I forget the price but it wasn't expensive. The setup is standard, but you have security options for if you have neighbor who is within range (100ft). most laptops have built in wireless but as mentioned before, the easiest one is a USB connection.

You can also get adapters which allow you to use the mains power lines for a Network, but it is more expensive and there are security issues.

TideMan
12-03-2008, 09:17 PM
A few years ago, we tried to solve a home networking the same way you're planning (with wireless), but it was so slow and unreliable - possibly because we were transmitting upstairs and receiving downstairs - that we bit the bullet and got the house wired with ethernet cable. It didn't cost much, $300 or so for labour + materials - less than the cost of an access point and remotes. For a sparky who knows what he's doing, it's a couple of hour's work. And they're crafty buggers, running wires down walls inside wardrobes etc.

Now we have 3 PCs + a laptop running WinXP and an old PC running Linux on our LAN and it's trouble free. We figure the investment in ethernet was worthwhile for the reduction in frustration and hassles.

beeswax34
13-03-2008, 12:23 AM
A few years ago, we tried to solve a home networking the same way you're planning (with wireless), but it was so slow and unreliable - possibly because we were transmitting upstairs and receiving downstairs - that we bit the bullet and got the house wired with ethernet cable. It didn't cost much, $300 or so for labour + materials - less than the cost of an access point and remotes. For a sparky who knows what he's doing, it's a couple of hour's work. And they're crafty buggers, running wires down walls inside wardrobes etc.

Now we have 3 PCs + a laptop running WinXP and an old PC running Linux on our LAN and it's trouble free. We figure the investment in ethernet was worthwhile for the reduction in frustration and hassles.

A good draft-n or even a new wireless-g router won't have many issues with speed and response times especially draft-n. And remember, you can always take the router with you if you ever move whereas you'd have to pay someone again to wire up Ethernet cable in a new house.

Its a one time investment into something that can handle multiple additions of computers and other devices, pretty fast (even for streaming video) and allows you the freedom to be anywhere (hiding from the kids perhaps :D)

nofam
13-03-2008, 08:06 AM

If you're going to get ethernet cabling around your site, don't get a sparky to do it. No disrespect to electricians, but a lot of them claim to be good with CAT5e when they're not experienced or equipped to deal with it.

Having project-managed the structured cabling for a $13 million, green-fields construction, (and smaller ones too) I can speak from experience!!

Go with a proper structured cable tech.

xmojo1
13-03-2008, 08:38 PM
I'm using USR9108 wireless with built-in USB print server. Connect a USB printer to the router. Your kid will be able to print wirelessly as well.

I use the U.S. Robotics 9108 wireless router too. It has 4 ethernet ports, wireless signal and a USB port to connect a printer to for wireless printing. I have 2 desktops connected to the router with cables and 2 other desktops with wireless network cards for wireless access. As well my wife and I often bring our work laptops home and we connect to the router wirelessly. The wireless signal covers our entire house; I can connect my laptop wirelessly in our bedroom, outside on the deck, on the lawn, in the garage. The router is also easy to set up for port forwarding. I highly recommend this brand of router.