PDA

View Full Version : Read Only

18-04-2001, 08:58 AM
Recently I installed a software programme, and the bar at the top of the programme, states that it is a 'Read - only'

This restricts me to view only and am unable to print

How did this happen and what does it mean ? I have checked with the supplier and they say there is something wrong with my system.

I have only Windows 95.

Interestingly enough occasionally when I have tried to save a Word document I have had the same response and have had to change the name of the file to save it.

I would appreciate any comments

Thanks

Milton

18-04-2001, 05:21 PM
Read only means what it says you can read it but cannot alter it and save it under the same file name. It is useful when you have an original doc and want to preserve it. If you alter it you save it on a different filename and it should print OK. If you check File Properties of the file you will see the read only box checked and you can uncheck it and try that. Hope this helps or puts you on the right track. You can always try the Help Menu in Word etc.

20-04-2001, 04:09 PM
Hi,
without knowing what program you are using there isn't a lot to suggest. Rene's comments regarding Word may apply to this program as well. It depends what is read only -the program you are using or the file you are working on? If it's the file then right clicking the file in explorer, going into properties and removing the Read Only tick will fix it. If it's the program then it could be anything.

21-04-2001, 12:02 AM
Anon,

Many thanks for taking the time out to reply.

You are right that the problem was in the Properties
Box, but have now solved it by installing the whole CD ROM - 50 Mb- onto my hard drive on the advice of the supplier. The tick is now in the Archives box, which means that I can print from the proramme.

Thanks again

Milton

21-04-2001, 12:12 AM
Hi Rene,

Many thanaks for your assistance, I tried doing what you said but was unable to clear the tick from the Read only box (why I don't know), so I went back to the Supplier of the CDROM and on their advice did a complete installation onto my hard drive - 50Mb - which is what I was trying to avoid. But now it is working OK.

Many thanks for taking time out to reply

Milton