PDA

View Full Version : Is my laptop dead?

MasturJeff
07-03-2008, 08:47 AM
I've had my HP dv5000 since Sept 06.

I used my laptop just fine this morning.

I put it in standby, unplugged it and took it to school (didn't use it though).

Just came home, plugged it in, opened it up and now it's been at the WindowsXP loading screen for over 4 minutes and 10 seconds now.

My average loading time for that part of the startup is maybe 10 seconds at most.

Kind of worried. My laptop had been slightly damaged recently. Whenever I opened up the screen the screen would go out of control. The fan inside needs to be replaced (it sounds like it is screaming and its rythym is being interrupted despite nothing be stuck inside).

Now this. Anybody have any ideas?

MasturJeff
07-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Now I tried to boot it in safe mode and it just is stuck with all the list of command prompts.

I let the Windows XP screen load for a while, and it just went to a black screen after maybe 20 minutes.

I know my battery is very weak. So when I left it in standby mode, I suppose it tried to go into hibernation and din't have enough power to do so, in turn causing a major crash.

pctek
07-03-2008, 09:10 AM
My laptop had been slightly damaged recently. The fan inside needs to be replaced (it sounds like it is screaming and its rythym is being interrupted despite nothing be stuck inside).

Well thats what Insurance is for.

The fan - sounds like overheating, is it full of dust and fluff?

GrahamB
07-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Try connecting it to mains and rebooting it. If that doesn't work, use your System CD that should have come with it and reboot with that in the CD Drive.

HTH
GrahamB

MasturJeff
07-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Well thats what Insurance is for.

The fan - sounds like overheating, is it full of dust and fluff?

The fan has been like that for maybe a month, but the PC was functioning fine.

MasturJeff
07-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Try connecting it to mains and rebooting it. If that doesn't work, use your System CD that should have come with it and reboot with that in the CD Drive.

HTH
GrahamB

I have to get to work but I'll try it when I get home.

Are you referring to the System Recovery DVD that came with it?

That's the only thing I have. My system has the D drive partitioned as the system recovery, and I also purchased a system recovery backup dvd.

I don't want to have to get to that point though because I'd like to retrieve some of my data.

Thebananamonkey
07-03-2008, 09:38 AM
System recovery SHOULDN'T (may do... but shouldn't) delete anything. Try at the safe mode boot screen to go back to a previous restore point (assuming that these are turned on). See what that does.

Driftwood
07-03-2008, 10:04 AM
If you have unsaved data on there that you don't want to loose proceed with caution.
You mentioned damage but not to what extent.
I would have a look at the fan to see if it needs cleaning. You may have to go inside to get at it. If it's getting stuffed a small shot of WD40 or CRC may revieve it for a while.
If it's not been doing it's job properly you may have overheated something anyway.
Plug in your AC power. You won't get a good boot if the battery is down.
Then if it wont boot you have to decide weather try the options above or remove the hard drive & take it to someone who can save the data for you.

MasturJeff
07-03-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm guessing there's a problem with the harddrive.

I tried to do a harddrive diagnostic test from the setup menu, but there was no cigar. Said it failed.

feersumendjinn
07-03-2008, 04:31 PM
HDD may have been the noise source, not the fan :horrified

MasturJeff
07-03-2008, 04:38 PM
HDD may have been the noise source, not the fan :horrified

I'm almost 100% certain it is the fan.

If I pushed the fan to stop it, the noise would stop as well.

Morgenmuffel
07-03-2008, 05:11 PM
MasturJeff

have you tried a linux rescue CD, just to see if it will see the harddrive and be able to transfer data off, I think there are even some that will run off a USB key, but i'm not sure if you can boot from a USB key

MasturJeff
07-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Ok. I switched out my sister's HDD with mine and put mine in hers.

Results:
My HDD didn't load and did the same thing in her laptop.

Her HDD loaded fine on my laptop.

----

I put mine back in my laptop and let it sit for a few minutes. It went to the disk check for accuracy thing. It appeared to skip over the C: scan altogether and did a successful scan of the D: drive.

Morgenmuffel
07-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Ok. I switched out my sister's HDD with mine and put mine in hers.

Results:
My HDD didn't load and did the same thing in her laptop.

Her HDD loaded fine on my laptop.

Is her laptop identical to yours?,

if you have a desktop machine there have you tried putting this drive in that as the secondary harddrive, then booting the desktop into it's normal OS and seeing if your drive shows up through windows explorer, or the control panel thingie that i can't remember now as E or F drive?

MasturJeff
07-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Is her laptop identical to yours?,

if you have a desktop machine there have you tried putting this drive in that as the secondary harddrive, then booting the desktop into it's normal OS and seeing if your drive shows up through windows explorer, or the control panel thingie that i can't remember now as E or F drive?

Yes. WE bought our laptops at the same time, same model (HP dv5000t).

Only difference is I have more RAM, more GHz on the Original Duo Core Processor, lightscribe drive, and nVidia graphics card.

Her HDD ran smoothly with my laptop. I got the same results on her laptop as I had been getting with mine.