PDA

View Full Version : uninstalling win xp sp3 rc1

fnphoto
06-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Does anyone know how to remove xp sp3 rc1 from a computer that has lost it's entry from add/remove programs (even when checking the show updates box). I have also tried using CCleaner & Tune Up utilities which also do not show any entries.

wainuitech
06-03-2008, 06:13 PM
According to MS

Uninstall information for the Windows XP SP3 Release Candidate

To uninstall Windows XP SP3, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
2. Click Change or Remove Programs.
3. Click Windows XP Service Pack 3 (936929), and then click Remove.
4. Restart the computer.

jwil1
06-03-2008, 07:49 PM
According to MS

Uninstall information for the Windows XP SP3 Release Candidate

To uninstall Windows XP SP3, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
2. Click Change or Remove Programs.
3. Click Windows XP Service Pack 3 (936929), and then click Remove.
4. Restart the computer.

WT, he said it doesn't appear in there ... :)

Try going to Start>Run>C:\Windows\$NtUninstallKB936929$\spuninst\spuninst .exe and see if that uninstalls it. Maybe...

EDIT: spuninst is all one word.

fnphoto
06-03-2008, 07:52 PM
The entry "Windows XP Service Pack 3 (936929)" doesn't appear in Add\Remove Programs (appwiz.cpl) for some reason. That is why I'm looking for an alternative way to remove it.

jwil1
06-03-2008, 07:58 PM
see my previous post :)

fnphoto
06-03-2008, 07:58 PM

Try going to Start>Run>C:\Windows\$NtUninstallKB936929$\spuninst\spuninst .exe and see if that uninstalls it. Maybe...

EDIT: spuninst is all one word.
The uninstall dir seems to have been removed from Windows .... only a few of the latest updates exist there. Probably the reason there is no tool to remove it?
I will try installing it again & then see if the Add/Remove shows an entry.

wainuitech
06-03-2008, 08:06 PM

EDIT: spuninst is all one word. I know that - what I posted is the "official way" to uninstall it.

If the System has been cleaned out of the install files (as some people do to save space) then you wont be able to uninstall it.
The uninstall dir seems to have been removed from Windows This May be the case ??

You can always try Windows cleanup (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301) it may pick up the SP - Dont know I don't use it for uninstalling the updates - as I leave the update/install packages in place.

You can also try running system Restore back to before installing SP3 if it wasn't to long ago, as it will have made a restore point before installing.

wainuitech
06-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Out of Interest, have you got the Show Updates( check box at top of window) ticked in the Add/remove programs ? It may be there.

Cant check as I don't have the RC installed on any XP PC's - its still in its testing stages, so not interested until its finshed.

I have just checked on This XP PC, and by ticking that box it then shows ALL the updates and Service Packs for Office etc, where normally they wouldn't be showing.

fnphoto
06-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Out of Interest, have you got the Show Updates( check box at top of window) ticked in the Add/remove programs ? It may be there.

Cant check as I don't have the RC installed on any XP PC's - its still in its testing stages, so not interested until its finshed.

I have just checked on This XP PC, and by ticking that box it then shows ALL the updates and Service Packs for Office etc, where normally they wouldn't be showing.
Thankyou for your help Wainuitech, yes as I said in the original post the 'show updates' box is ticked and quite right - you shouldn't install a beta on an important machine, this is installed on a 'muck - about' old Athlon 2.4. but I want to remove RC1 to try RC2 as you have to remove any earlier SP3 betas first.

wainuitech
06-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Thankyou for your help Wainuitech, yes as I said in the original post the 'show updates' box is ticked and quite right - you shouldn't install a beta on an important machine, this is installed on a 'muck - about' old Athlon 2.4. but I want to remove RC1 to try RC2 as you have to remove any earlier SP3 betas first. Sorry for not reading your original post correctly - Its been one Pr*k of a day with a couple of customers Vista PC's " not playingthe game" so to speak.

I was going to suggest downloading XP SP3 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=114f3599-12af-42b2-aab1-b969a62c68a7&displaylang=en) and over writing the other one, but I see they suggest to remove the old one first, but the way that page reads windows will not offer the SP3 when its available with the beta installed, it doesn't say it WONT install as a standalone.
To obtain RC2 via Windows Update, download the script and run it on a machine currently running Windows XP Service Pack 2. The script sets a registry key on your system. The registry key is required for Windows Update to recognize your machine as a valid target for Windows XP Service Pack 3 RC2

Have you tried to reinstall SP3 RC1 over the top ??

Sorry but I cant test that at the moment as I don't have a spare workshop PC with XP on to " Play with", Vista - No problems - but I kind of think XP RC might not like Vista to much :yuck: Might have to do it over the weekend with XP .

fnphoto
07-03-2008, 09:47 PM
After trying to reinstall RC1 several times (once in safe mode) there still were no removal entries either in add/ remove programs or c:\windows , so I took a gamble , bit the bullet & installed RC2 straight over the top, against Microsoft's advice, Been running the machine hard out now all day - no problems & running sweet as!!
Although there is still not a sign of any removal options etc.??? I'll look into it more when I have the time.

DoubleR
09-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Good new for me I think. When I built the box I using now over the Christmas holidays I slip streamed win XP SP3 RC1. So I was hoping I would be able to install the final SP3 on top. And it looks like the final is out. The MS download center has SP3 available for download (no RC number to be found) published 3/6/2008

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Do you mean this ? (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=114f3599-12af-42b2-aab1-b969a62c68a7&DisplayLang=en)

Its RC2 that came out on 6/3/08.

Its the same version that puts an entry in the registry, so you could get it from the WU site (but it was only 38k).

This is the full install of the same file

DoubleR
09-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Embarrassing... I saw thishttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=68c48dad-bc34-40be-8d85-6bb4f56f5110&displaylang=en and thought it was out. and reading post about RC2 coming out last February, well... thanks for getting me straight.