PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Internet connection

jerrybali
05-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Hi
Posted this previously but still wondering if someone may have a brainwave before I ring some computer expert to come and look and spend countless $$ without possible results......

Any ideas out there on my frustrating problem.

Have a main computer with a linksys adsl wireless gateway router. The wireless laptop connection(which feed off this wireless router) works fine as does a second connection to another computer via a wire feed feed to the router. The main computer though is always in and out of internet connection. Throws you out continuously and the little icon comes up limited connectivity and then sometimes no connectivity.

As the laptop and 2nd computer, feeding off the same connection, work fine with internet, the internet connection is therefore sound, as is the router.Thought it therefore might be the feed between the router and the main computer but changed the connection lead between router and main computer but still the same.
Also had this problem for some time now, recently bought a new hard drive and changed all data and connection programs over to it and still the same problem even though new hard drive.
V Frustrating!! any ideas anyone???
Thanks
JerryBali

Safari
05-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Sounds like it could be an IP address problem.
You could try adding the IP and DNS manually into your Local Area connection properties.

Also have a look at the suggestions at this link
http://kb.resnet.purdue.edu/viewarticle.php?articleid=1383

jerrybali
05-03-2008, 09:34 PM
thanks Safari!, a bit to try there, esp article fixes. Will report back after I've tried all the suggestions. Cheers Jerrybali

wainuitech
05-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Might be just the way its worded but
recently bought a new hard drive and changed all data and connection programs over to it and still the same problem even though new hard drive

A question was asked and your reply from last posting

no i copied the connections and settings over from the previous computer.
1st to an external hard drive then over to new computer.

It still reads a bit confusing : Was the whole system completely reinstalled ?

You DONT copy the (as you call them ) "connection programs " over - each Install already comes with its own software. (or you addin software) You only need to have 1 file missing or damaged and it will cause all sorts of problems.

As Safari mentions it sounds like a IP problem or a TCP/IP stack problem.

Try running WinsockFix (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml) it will rebuild the TCP/IP Stack and may fix the problem.

jerrybali
05-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Just completed all Safaris article fixes to no avail, including winsockfix. says though winsock fix does work for vista which I'm running. Ran it anyway but didnt work.

No havent copied over everything just programs and files, thought though the internet connection details were transferred over too. But did set up a new broadband internet connection but exactly same problems.

Only thing I havent done is manually set IP and DNs details. I know the Ip address but not sure where I locate the dns?? Is this worth trying??

jerrybali
05-03-2008, 11:34 PM
PS Just noticed in my network connection details under prperty it mentions "connection specific DNS suffix" and on oppsaite side under 'value' column it says "domain not set invalid" Does that mean anything significent/

Agent_24
06-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Have you tried just a cable? to rule out the wireless having bad reception?

Thebananamonkey
06-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Can you log in to the router from your computer? Is there network activity? Have you turned your firewalls off? Are all the IP settings configured to automatic? Does your router automatically assign IP's? If not you may have to assign one yourself through the router and then set your comp up from there.

jerrybali
06-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Well, not entirely sure how to log into the router only. I do know though the IP adressed is configured automatically. Afraid not totally savvy and knowledgeable in this area!

Thebananamonkey
06-03-2008, 01:03 PM
That's cool. Look on the back of your router and there should be an IP address there. Type this into internet explorer, or your browser of choice. This should log you in to the router, if it uses the standard address that is.

Do you know any geeks who would be happy to look at it for free? With these things I often find it's easier to do it than try and explain how. I agree about trying to avoid paying zimbabwe's national deficit to IT people if you can do it yourself though.

mOOseCaNNoN
06-03-2008, 02:02 PM
I have a few questions.
The computer that is intermittent with the internet, is that connected via ethernet cable to the router?
When the computer's internet fails, does the whole network connection fail or just the internet? e.g. when the internet is not working can you access other computers on your network?

If the computer that is being intermittent is connected via a wire connection then it maybe your network card that's playing up (in xp it will say limited or no connectivity every now and then), I've seen this before in some cards, you can buy a new card for about 30$

jerrybali
06-03-2008, 10:24 PM
The intermittent computer is connected to the router by an ethernet cable.
also looked at the router to get an IP adress but sorry confused .quite a few numbers and none look like an Ip adress. Theres a number with the telecom telepermit PTC XXX/xx/xxx. theres also serial nos, mac nos whatever they are. God I'd love to be more of a computer geek!!!!
I did have a computer guy who helped me but just didnt have confidence in all his work and charged me so I no longer have arms and legs!!! sometimes I thought I even might know a bit more than him and thats a worry I can tell you.

wainuitech
06-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Finding the IP address of the router is quite easy - looking back at post 5 this is a vista PC ??

If so click the start orb, in the search type in cmd in the results up top, select command Prompt.

In the command prompt type in ipconfig - Press enter, look for your gateway - that will be the routers address, should be something like 192.168.1.1 or maybe 10.1.1.1.

To access the routers configuration page, open a web browser - in the address bar type in the address, EG: http://192.168.1.1 - press enter, you will then get a log in window.

Also have you turned off the windows firewall from the control center as asked in post 8 ( i think it was)

jerrybali
06-03-2008, 10:39 PM
thanks wainui, clear instructions and now have Ip adress as you said. A question,though... why does that field with the info on it come up with the DNS value and say 'domain not set dns invalid' Is that soemthing to be concerned about?

jerrybali
06-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Ps turned off norton firewall but windows firewall stil on!

Agent_24
07-03-2008, 12:16 AM
firewall shouldn't interfere with the network adapter's ability to get an IP address..