PDA

View Full Version : Hard Disk problem!

JOYBEBA6679
05-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Hi to all my friends, Im writting you today cuz I have an old Compaq presario that has Windows XP SP2 installed, its about 5 to 6 yrs old. The problem is that while it was working it freezed up on the screen and then it began to make like a scratching noise, like if it something was scratching the Hard Drive.

I turned it off and then on again, it kept doing the noise and after 6 minutes or so it gives me an error of No system disk or disk error. I turned it off for a day and then turned it on again and it booted up normally, so I thought it was fixed,but after 10 minutes it freezed up again and did the same sound.

My question is, is there a way I can make this machine to work with out using the HD, I dont have the money to buy a new computer nor a new HD. Also, is there a way to boot WIndows XP or anyother OS like Ubunto from the CDrom or a USB flash drive so it will not use the damaged HD, Thanks in advance!

drcspy
05-03-2008, 03:26 PM
is there a way I can make this machine to work with out using the HD, I dont have the money to buy a new computer nor a new HD. Also, is there a way to boot WIndows XP or anyother OS like Ubunto from the CDrom or a USB flash drive

there are plenty of operating systems around which will run from cd.........you MAY be able to install windoze onto a usb drive and run the pc from that but it'll be very tricky, and probably unlikely to work on an older machine.....linux has several choices of cd operating systems.....

pctek
05-03-2008, 03:29 PM
My question is, is there a way I can make this machine to work with out using the HD,

Buy a used one then, plenty on Trade Me.
Stick to Seagate.

JOYBEBA6679
05-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Ok, lets say I have Ubuntu (linux) on a CD and I want to boot that machine with it, I want the computer just for surfing the net, chat and using a messenger type software. Will this work with out using the hard drive.

After all the machines Hard drive is useless, I need something that can work without the need of that hard drive.

Edit:
On a side note, I also own a Maxtor OneTouch III Mini Edition (80GB) Hard Drive, will this be anygood into keep using this computer?

JOYBEBA6679
06-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Well, anyone else has another idea?

Colpol
06-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Well, anyone else has another idea?

If your HD is dead booting from a cd will start the computor but without the HD you can do nothing as the programs you want to run are all on it.
The Maxtor will probably only work if it has an OS on it. and your setup has been told to boot from it.

JOYBEBA6679
06-03-2008, 09:52 AM
And how do I do that?, thanks in advance

Colpol
06-03-2008, 09:59 AM
And how do I do that?, thanks in advance

Unsure if booting from external drive is possible. May need to see if anyone else knows.

JOYBEBA6679
06-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Ok, thanks.

FoxyMX
06-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Ok, lets say I have Ubuntu (linux) on a CD and I want to boot that machine with it, I want the computer just for surfing the net, chat and using a messenger type software. Will this work with out using the hard drive.

If you use a "Live CD" then you should be able to do that. Live CDs boot off the CD, uses the RAM and does not write to the hard drive.

If your HD is dead booting from a cd will start the computor but without the HD you can do nothing as the programs you want to run are all on it.

You can run all the programs contained on a Live CD's disc. Unless you have a flash drive you won't be able to save anything, however.

JOYBEBA6679
06-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Thank you all for your help.