PDA

View Full Version : Error 8024402C

tophook
04-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Not sure if this has been spoken about earlier but if it has my apologies. I'm tearing my hair out with the error message 8024402C which I get when I try to access windows security updates which tells me I am unable connect to the update webpage.
I've gone through the advice given in the help page, checked that my lan settings are ticked to automatically detect settings, still no joy.
I've uninstalled my firewall (Comodo), still no joy. I've got AVG free edition anti virus and anti spyware and Spy Bot still installed. The o/s is Vista Ultimate and up until now I've never had a problem accessing MS downloads.
Anybody got any ideas on how to rectify this?:help:

Speedy Gonzales
04-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Read this (http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/261ae42d-8c84-496e-88cb-a46dff5504611033.mspx)

Did you click on the link/s that gave you the error for the cause?

wainuitech
04-03-2008, 09:58 PM
See if This helps (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900936)

Speedy Gonzales
04-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Did you have the latest version of Comodo installed? 3.0.18.309?

Altho, I dont think 2.4 was compatible with Vista

wainuitech
04-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Just a thought carried through from XP - If you don't have any other Firewall apart from the inbuilt in Vista, go to control Panel / firewall and disable it.

Even if you do have another firewall, double check the Windows one anyway - some times it wont turn off automatically if another third party FW is installed.

There has been MANY times on customers PC's (vista inclusive) the windows inbuilt firewall will stop windows updates from working.

PENTIUM
05-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Congrats to the two top good guys info providers on this Forum [see above].

tophook
05-03-2008, 08:40 PM
:clap Wainuitech - you're a legend!! You've solved the problem, thank you.
A big thank you to you other good people who offered solutions. I had already read both the articles you suggested, did what they suggested to no avail - trust a Kiwi to come up with the answer lol.
Once again, thank you all, your help and advice was much appreciated.

wainuitech
05-03-2008, 09:10 PM
:lol: No worries - glad it was resolved.:thumbs:

How good is MS though ?

Their own Firewall stops their own software from updating - you thought they could have gotten that right.

tophook
06-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I must admit I did think WT!! - their own firewall is the root cause of the problem and they don't even appear to realise it!

Interestingly Windows security centre shows me as still having Comodo running, one of the first things I did trying to rectify the problem was uninstalling it.

You tell me lol!!