PDA

View Full Version : Streaming video over network lag issue

Agent_24
04-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Trying to watch shared avi files from another computer, I get some lag problems with the video

Windows can copy the file over in 1 minute, which is 45min long, so it's not a throughput issue (I don't think)

All network adapters are on 100mbit, Full duplex so there's no conflicts with anything running half there

When playing the video, task manager on the computer with the video shows minimal CPU usage, and network usage doesn't even go past 25% - so how is it lagging?

beeswax34
04-03-2008, 07:46 PM
I was going to say that maybe the program you are using to watch the videos is the problem but with minimal CPU usage, maybe thats not it.

What program are you using? Have you tried any others AND is this a problem with say .wmv files?

golam
04-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Some players will buffer the data until they have received a certain amount of data - see if there is a setting in the player to play immediately rather then buffer the data

CYaBro
04-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Does the AVI file play OK if you copy it over the network first and play it localy?

Agent_24
04-03-2008, 10:13 PM
No, it seems to have the same problems when played locally which would mean it's probably the computer playing it, not the network or the computer sharing the file

But I've not had this problem with networked or local files before

Chilling_Silence
04-03-2008, 10:49 PM
What type of codec is the audio / video?
What player?

Agent_24
05-03-2008, 11:26 AM
What type of codec is the audio / video?
What player?

Video is DivX 5, Audio MP3 I think...

was using GB-PVR on one computer, tried Nerovision on the other, both get the lag

it's not very often, but when it does it's a slight jerk as if it was paused for fraction of a second, but it's there.

Both computers are using latest Xvid codec

Seems to work fine on this using VLC but haven't watched a whole video to see

I guess it's probably the codec, but I can't use DivX because the stupid thing unfocuses my mediacenter (GB-PVR) somehow and then the remote control doesn't work until I walk over and click the mouse in the window again (which defeats the purpose of the remote control and pisses me off)

I've tried turning the tray icon of DivX off but somehow it still does it.

Any way to install the latest DivX codec somehow without all the other crap? Because I'm thinking that's what I need to use to run these videos properly in GB-PVR (VLC while great at working, is not a great mediacenter program)

Agent_24
06-03-2008, 10:13 AM
OK, I have confirmed it is definitely NOT the network or the PC hosting the files

Copied one of the videos over to the other PC, played with GB-PVR - getting exact same problems

Am I right in saying that VLC uses its own plugin codecs which are separate to the system codecs?

beeswax34
06-03-2008, 10:01 PM
I think so because VLC plays a lot of formats that my computer doesn't support natively. But when you install VLC, does it install its codecs into the OS?

heni72847
06-03-2008, 10:09 PM
from what I understand VLC's codecs are internal
so no new directshow codecs are installed

hence how VLC can play h264 material doesn't mean your WMP can

Agent_24
06-03-2008, 11:41 PM
from what I understand VLC's codecs are internal

yeah that's what I thought