PDA

View Full Version : PC Taking forever to boot...please help!

ajwhite10
04-03-2008, 03:09 PM
First off, I'm what you would call computer stupid.....not even a novice.

I have a 5 year old Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop PC & it has been freezing up on me a lot lately. Just recently, upon re-booting the computer, everything seems to start up just fine & then, after the screen shows the Dell startup page, the screen goes black, except for the blinking underscore key in the top left part of the screen & stays this way for at least 10 minutes until the system boots up & I get into windows xp. From there, XP & all programs seem to run slower than usual. I have system restore turned on...whatever that means. I haven't backed up all my files from my C drive, at this point, as I just bought the drive & doubt seriously that it is crashing.

Am I looking at motherboard/cpu issues? Processor problems?

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks!

nofam
04-03-2008, 03:22 PM
I'd try running a check on your hard drive to see if there's any bad sectors. Let it boot into Windows as per usual, and open My Computer. Right-click on your hard drive (it's usually your C: Drive), and select properties from the menu that pops up. Along the top of that window, there's a bunch of tabs. . . .click the tab called Tools, and from there, click the Check Now button to launch Error Checking.

Tick both the options that are given to you (Automatically fix file system errors, and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors)

You'll get a prompt telling you than Windows needs to reboot to check your drive, so click Yes to schedule this on your next reboot.

Then reboot your PC, and go have a cup of tea while it's doing its thing. . . .can take an hour or two to do this.

Let us know how you get on.

pcuser42
04-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Probably a CPU issue - are you able to check the temperature of it while running? (Use monitoring software, not a thermometer :p.)

ajwhite10
04-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Probably a CPU issue - are you able to check the temperature of it while running? (Use monitoring software, not a thermometer :p.)

Check the temp? Not that I know of. I'm going to try the error check & get back to you guys. Thanks for all the help. Wish I could buy you a beer!

ajw

Speedy Gonzales
04-03-2008, 03:58 PM
And post a hijackthis log, its in my sig. We'll see if you've got any nasties / malware on your system

Put it in its own folder first, then click on scan the system and save a log. Copy and paste the log here

Have you scanned for malware / viruses etc recently?

B.M.
04-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Guys, AJW says he/she is an absolute novice and the Machine is 5 years old.

I guess it is reasonable to assume that no maintenance has been done in that time.

So, as a matter of interest, why donít we discuss where we would start to tidy up this machine?

My thoughts are that from the explanation given, Windows is having trouble loading so what is the first thing to do?

I have doubts about temperature problems because the machine is booting from cold.

Personally, I would wait for it to boot and run CCleaner just to get rid of the junk but what do others think? Yes I realise CCleaner would have to be downloaded and installed.

And Iím definitely not saying that nofams starting point is wrong either.

It would be good to get a consensus on where the best place is to start when this problem is encountered. :thumbs:

B.M.
04-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Whoops, Speedy beat me, heís Speedy alright. :D

Interesting, we now have four replies and four different approaches. :confused:

nofam
04-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Whoops, Speedy beat me, heís Speedy alright. :D

Interesting, we now have four replies and four different approaches. :confused:

Fair point B.M - my approach was to start with something built in to Windows - there's probably at least 4 valid places to start with this sort of issue!! :D

ajwhite10
04-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Guys, AJW says he/she is an absolute novice and the Machine is 5 years old.

I guess it is reasonable to assume that no maintenance has been done in that time.

So, as a matter of interest, why donít we discuss where we would start to tidy up this machine?

My thoughts are that from the explanation given, Windows is having trouble loading so what is the first thing to do?

I have doubts about temperature problems because the machine is booting from cold.

Personally, I would wait for it to boot and run CCleaner just to get rid of the junk but what do others think? Yes I realise CCleaner would have to be downloaded and installed.

And Iím definitely not saying that nofams starting point is wrong either.

It would be good to get a consensus on where the best place is to start when this problem is encountered. :thumbs:

I do run adaware & spyware doctor(free versions) on a fairly regular basis. I recently replaced the c drive, as mentioned above. I haven't de-fragged in awhile & other than the new hard drive, there has been no hardware replacements. I have had to re-install windows a couple times. I'm posting from my palm now...waiting for chkdsk to finish going through my c drive.

B.M.
04-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Fair point B.M - my approach was to start with something built in to Windows - there's probably at least 4 valid places to start with this sort of issue!! :D

Excellent point nofam.

Start with something you've got!

I'm convinced! :thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
04-03-2008, 04:27 PM
I would say if it was overheating, you'll be lucky to use it for more than 1-2 mins at least.

It would / should have shut off, so it doesnt fry.

You wouldnt even get as far as windows

B.M.
04-03-2008, 04:37 PM
I do run adaware & spyware doctor(free versions) on a fairly regular basis. I recently replaced the c drive, as mentioned above. I haven't de-fragged in awhile & other than the new hard drive, there has been no hardware replacements. I have had to re-install windows a couple times. I'm posting from my palm now...waiting for chkdsk to finish going through my c drive.

Ahhh, the scene is changing. :D

You're not quite the novice you made out.

Do you run any antivirus as well as adaware & spyware doctor?

Why did you have to re-install windows?

I assume you have XP?

nofam
04-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Ahhh, the scene is changing. :D

You're not quite the novice you made out.

Do you run any antivirus as well as adaware & spyware doctor?

Why did you have to re-install windows?

I assume you have XP?

Indeed. . . :) What brand is the replacement drive you put in?

Is it SATA or IDE?

wainuitech
04-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Slow start up and slow running is usually caused by to many un-required programs running on startup, and /or Spyware /Viruses.

look back at Post #5 - Do what speedy said and post back a Hijack Log - that way we can see whats actually going on.

Speedy is right in the post above, if it was over heating you wouldn't even get to windows - it would either shut down, or fry.

The Hard Drive DMA may also be disabled which will slow it down.

ajwhite10
04-03-2008, 05:05 PM
ok, so apparently chdsk is done, because I just walked down to the office & that dang blinking underscore is going right now. I have no idea what kind of hard drive was put in. it was installed at a repair shop after my last hd crashed, to the tune of 300 bucks.

ajwhite10
04-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Slow start up and slow running is usually caused by to many un-required programs running on startup, and /or Spyware /Viruses.

look back at Post #5 - Do what speedy said and post back a Hijack Log - that way we can see whats actually going on.

Speedy is right in the post above, if it was over heating you wouldn't even get to windows - it would either shut down, or fry.

The Hard Drive DMA may also be disabled which will slow it down.

Ok, here goes....

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 9:12:47 PM, on 3/3/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16608)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\Diagnostics\diagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\SDTrayApp.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\AdwareAlert\AdwareAlert.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Veoh Networks\Veoh\VeohClient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATIC DA.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Updater\GoogleUpdater.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\svcntaux.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
C:\New Folder\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {11DE0A6B-3C58-F10F-2F81-01DE6BB71BC3} - C:\Program Files\cbmxmyjy\dycnjxmm.dll
O2 - BHO: RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - {3049C3E9-B461-4BC5-8870-4C09146192CA} - C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\rpbrowserrecordplugin.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\2.1.615.5858\sw g.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Veoh Browser Plug-in - {D0943516-5076-4020-A3B5-AEFAF26AB263} - C:\Program Files\Veoh Networks\Veoh\Plugins\reg\VeohToolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [diagent] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\Diagnostics\diagent.exe" startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dujynmxa] regsvr32 /u "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\dujynmxa.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SDTray] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\SDTrayApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNo tifier.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AdwareAlert] C:\Program Files\AdwareAlert\AdwareAlert.exe -boot
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Veoh] "C:\Program Files\Veoh Networks\Veoh\VeohClient.exe" /VeohHide
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus CX7400 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATIC DA.EXE /FU "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\E_SA6.tmp" /EF "HKCU"
O4 - Global Startup: Google Updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Google\Google Updater\GoogleUpdater.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Google Photos Screensa&ver - res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\GPhotos.scr/200
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {E06E2E99-0AA1-11D4-ABA6-0060082AA75C} (GpcContainer Class) - https://cynosurelaser.webex.com/client/T23L/event/ieatgpc.cab
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~3\GOEC62~1.DLL
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Google Desktop Manager 5.5.709.30344 (GoogleDesktopManager-093007-112848) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Auxiliary Service (sdAuxService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\svcntaux.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Security Service (sdCoreService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdsvc.exe

--
End of file - 7482 bytes

Is that what you were looking for?

ajw

limepile
04-03-2008, 05:26 PM
thats a lot of stuff to run at start up! Speedy and the lads will tell you to turn some of it off...its easy really, but I'll leave it to them they're the experts!

Speedy Gonzales
04-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Run HJT again tick these then tick fix checked

Close browser/s

I would uninstall AdwareAlert. Even tho it says its been delisted (it was a dubious program)

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {11DE0A6B-3C58-F10F-2F81-01DE6BB71BC3} - C:\Program Files\cbmxmyjy\dycnjxmm.dll <-- delete this folder

Safe but dont have to be in startup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe"

This entry maybe the prob

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dujynmxa] regsvr32 /u "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\dujynmxa.dll"
<--- delete this file. If they come back, disable system restore and delete them again

Safe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

This can slow a system down. I would uninstall it

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup

Safe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AdwareAlert] C:\Program Files\AdwareAlert\AdwareAlert.exe -boot

O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE

Uninstall ALL versions of Java, yours is out of date, link is in my sig, under the here link

Get trojan remover in my sig too, run it click on scan, Then select all options under utilities

Then run my computer select/highlight c, and right mouse / scan with trojan remover

wainuitech
04-03-2008, 05:45 PM
These can be disabled as well, they are not actually needed, they are safe as speedy said, but no real need for them, all they do in simple English is allow the adobe reader/Quick time/ Itunes/Real Player to open a couple of seconds faster when required big deal :D , But will slow down the start up slightly as well.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot

ALSO according to what I see you don't have a antivirus installed ?

If you want a free one download Avast (http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html) or for a free trial of a good paid one Nod32 (http://www.eset.com/download/index.php)

Also downloadSuper Antispyware (http://www.superantispyware.com/) And make sure you have the latest Spybot S & D - run all those programs as mentioned above by speedy and what I posted that will get rid of any infections.

THEN - it should speed up. You can also uninstall any tool bars that you dont use from add/remove programs.

Speedy Gonzales
04-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Also, since I cant see it anywhere, HOW much ram is installed??

ajwhite10
04-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Run HJT again tick these then tick fix checked

Close browser/s

I would uninstall AdwareAlert. Even tho it says its been delisted (it was a dubious program)

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {11DE0A6B-3C58-F10F-2F81-01DE6BB71BC3} - C:\Program Files\cbmxmyjy\dycnjxmm.dll <-- delete this folder

Safe but dont have to be in startup

This entry maybe the prob

<--- delete this file. If they come back, disable system restore and delete them again

Safe

This can slow a system down. I would uninstall it

Safe

Uninstall ALL versions of Java, yours is out of date, link is in my sig, under the here link

Get trojan remover in my sig too, run it click on scan, Then select all options under utilities...

ok, so I did everything you said, cept after I uninstalled java, I got a msg saying that my processor could not support this vers. of java & to contact hardware vendor

ajwhite10
04-03-2008, 06:47 PM
not sure how much ram is installed. easiest way to find out?

Speedy Gonzales
04-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Did you download Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 4 ?

And get the jre-6u4-windows-i586-p.exe file?

Not the 64 bit version.

You right mouse on my computer / properties / general tab. The amount of ram shows here

After u tick those entries, reboot. See if its any faster

stormdragon
04-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Did you download the 32bit or 64 bit version of Java?

In XP under start, accessories, system tools, system information.
This will tell you the amount of RAM (listed as Physical Memory). Also tells you about the Processor etc.

edit: Damn looks like Speedy bet me again!

ajwhite10
04-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Intel Pentium 4 CPU, 2.6 ghtz, 2.59 ghtz, 512 MB of RAM.

Trojan Remover has been scanning my C drive forever.

ajw

Speedy Gonzales
04-03-2008, 07:02 PM
That should be enough ram then. So is it any faster, after you rebooted??

And did you get the file, in my previous post?

ajwhite10
04-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Did you download the 32bit or 64 bit version of Java?

In XP under start, accessories, system tools, system information.
This will tell you the amount of RAM (listed as Physical Memory). Also tells you about the Processor etc.

edit: Damn looks like Speedy bet me again!

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name USER-E3A3C86113
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model Dimension 8300
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2593 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2593 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A01, 4/28/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name USER-E3A3C86113\user
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 92.10 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.22 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

ajw

ajwhite10
04-03-2008, 07:10 PM
That should be enough ram then. So is it any faster, after you rebooted??

And did you get the file, in my previous post?

Sill waiting for TR to finish with the scan on my C drive, then I'll get Java again....then I'll reboot & let you know.

Appreciate all the help. If that blinking underscore continues to run for an extended period of time during the boot, can we assume that it is a motherboard/cpu issue?

ajw

wainuitech
04-03-2008, 07:17 PM
If that blinking underscore continues to run for an extended period of time during the boot, can we assume that it is a motherboard/cpu issue? NOPE!!! not yet, theres lots to check before a hardware issue - Did you also remove that Desktop search that speedy said and disable the start ups as I put in Post #19 ??

What about the Antivirus ??

One thing you can do as a quick test - when you restart the PC, keep pressing F8 - Select start in safe mode ( use the arrow keys)-this loads the PC with only basic drivers, it should load a lot faster, it may stop and appear to hang on the graphic drivers or the one called MUP maybe for a minute or two - things like the Internet wont work, the screen will look rubbish - but its only a diagnostic mode - once loaded reboot as normal and advice what happened.

ajwhite10
04-03-2008, 07:43 PM
just restarted the computer & it still is showing that blank screen with the blinking underscore for a long time immediatly after the dell screen with the white progress bar below it. F!

Speedy Gonzales
04-03-2008, 07:47 PM
But is it any faster, after you get into windows?

Right mouse on my computer in windows / advanced tab / startup and recovery / settings.

Click on the top edit

Paste whats in your boot.ini file here.

We'll see if theres anything else in it

nofam
04-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Did you restart in Safe Mode as Wainuitech suggested, to see if it still hangs on that same screen?

wainuitech
04-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Okay - time to get serious ;) Did you try safe Mode ??

If so and its still "hanging" something must be failing to work correctly - try this - restart the PC and again keep hitting F8 - the screen will look Like this here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/windows-xp-boot-options-796226.gif)this time select "Enable Boot Logging", press enter and let the PC boot (as slow as it may be) Drivers could be failing or something else not loading.

This will say if anything is obvious cause of the problem.

Next - find the boot log once the PC has started, Example (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Boot_Log.jpg) it is located in the C Drive in the windows Folder - it will be called ntbtlog.txt and look like a notepad file. (because it is)

To Get to it - Double click " My Computer" /C Drive then widows folder.

Open the log file and post back the complete contents - NOTE: it COULD be HUGE - you thought the Hijack file is big :D

ajwhite10
05-03-2008, 06:02 AM
But is it any faster, after you get into windows?

Right mouse on my computer in windows / advanced tab / startup and recovery / settings.

Click on the top edit

Paste whats in your boot.ini file here.

We'll see if theres anything else in it

The computer is running a bit faster, once I get into windows, but it still hangs on that screen. Here is the boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I'll try booting in safe mode next.

ajw

ajwhite10
05-03-2008, 06:19 AM
I started it up in safe mode. the screen immediatly listed a bunch of drivers, then went through a boot without hanging on any screen. Next up, I'll try the bootlog.

ajwhite10
05-03-2008, 06:26 AM
when I did the "enable boot log" thing there was no screen hang...everything loaded appropriatly(it seems) & everything seems to be running fast.

OK, so I needed to reboot again, because my keyboard stopped working & when I did, the hang screen was gone, everything loaded up appropriatly, & the computer seems to be running at a good speed. Here is the results of the last bootlog:

Service Pack 2 3 4 2008 10:16:54.375
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\KDCOM.DLL
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\BOOTVID.dll
Loaded driver ACPI.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\WMILIB.SYS
Loaded driver pci.sys
Loaded driver isapnp.sys
Loaded driver pciide.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\PCIIDEX.SYS
Loaded driver intelide.sys
Loaded driver MountMgr.sys
Loaded driver ftdisk.sys
Loaded driver PartMgr.sys
Loaded driver VolSnap.sys
Loaded driver atapi.sys
Loaded driver disk.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS
Loaded driver fltMgr.sys
Loaded driver sr.sys
Loaded driver ikfilesec.sys
Loaded driver PxHelp20.sys
Loaded driver KSecDD.sys
Loaded driver Ntfs.sys
Loaded driver NDIS.sys
Loaded driver Mup.sys
Loaded driver agp440.sys
Did not load driver ACPI Multiprocessor PC
Did not load driver Audio Codecs
Did not load driver Legacy Audio Drivers
Did not load driver Media Control Devices
Did not load driver Legacy Video Capture Devices
Did not load driver Video Codecs
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (L2TP)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (IP)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPTP)
Did not load driver Packet Scheduler Miniport
Did not load driver Direct Parallel
Did not load driver Intel Processor
Did not load driver Creative SB Live! Series (WDM)
Did not load driver Game Port for SB Live! Series
Did not load driver NETGEAR WG311v3 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter
Did not load driver Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Did not load driver NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420
Did not load driver Communications Port
Did not load driver ECP Printer Port
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbuhci.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbehci.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\fdc.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\i8042prt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\kbdclass.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\Afc.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\GEARAspiWDM.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\termdd.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mouclass.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\swenum.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\update.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mssmbios.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbhub.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\flpydisk.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\iksysflt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\hidusb.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\iksyssec.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\lbrtfdc.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Sfloppy.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\i2omgmt.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Changer.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Cdaudio.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Fs_Rec.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Null.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mouhid.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Beep.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\vga.sys
Did not load driver mnmdd.SYS
Did not load driver RDPCDD.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Msfs.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Npfs.SYS
Did not load driver RasAcd.SYS
Did not load driver IPSec.SYS
Did not load driver Tcpip.SYS
Did not load driver NetBT.SYS
Did not load driver AFD.SYS
Did not load driver NetBIOS.SYS
Did not load driver Serial.SYS
Did not load driver intelppm.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\PCIDump.SYS
Did not load driver WS2IFSL.SYS
Did not load driver Rdbss.SYS
Did not load driver MRxSmb.SYS
Did not load driver Fips.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Cdfs.SYS
Did not load driver mchInjDrv.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Fastfat.SYS
Service Pack 2 3 4 2008 10:23:17.375
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\KDCOM.DLL
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\BOOTVID.dll
Loaded driver ACPI.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\WMILIB.SYS
Loaded driver pci.sys
Loaded driver isapnp.sys
Loaded driver pciide.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\PCIIDEX.SYS
Loaded driver intelide.sys
Loaded driver MountMgr.sys
Loaded driver ftdisk.sys
Loaded driver PartMgr.sys
Loaded driver VolSnap.sys
Loaded driver atapi.sys
Loaded driver disk.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS
Loaded driver fltMgr.sys
Loaded driver sr.sys
Loaded driver ikfilesec.sys
Loaded driver PxHelp20.sys
Loaded driver KSecDD.sys
Loaded driver Ntfs.sys
Loaded driver NDIS.sys
Loaded driver Mup.sys
Loaded driver agp440.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\intelppm.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nv4_mini.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbuhci.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbehci.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ctoss2k.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ctsfm2k.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\P16X.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\gameenum.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\WG311v3XP.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\e100b325.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\fdc.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\serial.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\serenum.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\parport.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\Afc.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\GEARAspiWDM.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\audstub.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rasl2tp.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ndistapi.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ndiswan.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\raspppoe.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\raspptp.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\msgpc.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\psched.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ptilink.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\raspti.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\termdd.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\kbdclass.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mouclass.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\swenum.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\update.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mssmbios.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbhub.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\flpydisk.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\iksysflt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\iksyssec.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\lbrtfdc.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Sfloppy.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\i2omgmt.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Changer.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Cdaudio.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Fs_Rec.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Null.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Beep.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\i8042prt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\vga.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\mnmdd.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\RDPCDD.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Msfs.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Npfs.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rasacd.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ipsec.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\tcpip.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ipnat.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\wanarp.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\netbt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\afd.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\netbios.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\PCIDump.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rdbss.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\hidusb.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mouhid.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Fips.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Cdfs.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ndisuio.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rdbss.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Fastfat.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\wdmaud.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\sysaudio.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\splitter.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\aec.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\swmidi.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\DMusic.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\kmixer.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\drmkaud.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mrxdav.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\ParVdm.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\srv.sys
Loaded driver \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\PfModNT.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ipnat.sys
Loaded driver \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\mchInjDrv.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\HTTP.sys

Anyway to figure out what was going wrong?

Did starting in safe mode clear up some issues?

ajw

wainuitech
05-03-2008, 06:56 AM
Is this correct - by loading in safe mode first, then rebooting in normal the PC is now running as it should ?

ajwhite10
05-03-2008, 07:31 AM
Is this correct - by loading in safe mode first, then rebooting in normal the PC is now running as it should ?

it would appear so....

nofam
05-03-2008, 08:24 AM
I'd run Registry Mechanic or something equivalent to clean things up a bit - when you added your new drive, did you image your old drive and move things over that way, or did you rebuild it from the OS up? (Sorry if you've answered this elsewhere in your post!)

B.M.
05-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Just a thought. :)

If you go control Panel/system/Hardware/Device Manager are there any ! or ? to be seen?

Wonder if some drivers are wrong or not installed? :confused:

wainuitech
05-03-2008, 09:23 AM
looking at the boot log you can see when it booted correctly and when it failed. When it was failing this is why it took so long - drivers not loading.

In plain English - Non Technical---

Sometimes if the system is unstable drivers may get "stuck" and when trying to boot every thing slows down to a crawl or wont load, even turning off the PC wont unstick them.

Sometimes by rebooting in safe mode it forces the PC to boot bypass these drivers, and kind of "gives them a hurry up" or unstick them,and boots with the minimum of windows default drivers and after that it boots fine.

Looking at the other questions asked above, something obviously is not right - what I would do is test the the OS to make sure its working as it should.

Click start/run type in sfc /scannow this will scan the system and repair/replace any faulty system files windows needs to run correctly.
Depending if the I386 folder is already on the Hard Drive, you may need the Windows XP CD when it finds some problems and needs to replace files.
Being a 5 year old PC they may have supplied you with one.

But at the moment it looks like its going again.