PDA

View Full Version : Xvid compression question

russell108
04-03-2008, 02:51 AM
I recently used Virtualdubmod to convert a VOB file to AVI/xvid..the vob file was 99MB and the xvid file was 82MB...although it looked great it isn't much of a reduction in size..

How then do you get a full DVD down to 700MB using xvid compression
?:confused:

autechre
04-03-2008, 08:24 AM
You lower the bitrate/resolution until it fits :)
The easiest method is to get a tool such as AutoGK to do it for you.

Chilling_Silence
04-03-2008, 01:40 PM
If you lower the resolution then you can lower the bitrate also, however it wont look quite as sharp if you full-screen it :)

Using the newer h.264 compression (x264 is a good encoder!) you'll get better picture quality at the same bitrate vs XviD. Also, do a 2-pass encode for better quality at lower bitrates also :)

autechre
05-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Yep, would recommend x264 too. Though most DVDs that have been compressed that much look pretty bad at full screen - 2 disc versions are usually ok.

michael_elliston
08-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Depends how big your screen is ;-)
Yep use AUTOGK 2pass - pretty much idiot proof.

1pass can do that - you end up with a file larger or similar to uncompressed original.
If im being fussy I prefer 1400mb. In IFO mode it will give you one avi output file.

Selecting the resolution will be done for you.If you have an ancient 2ghz P4 like me,it takes a few hours for a movie.

Most people will find 1 CD with a good 2pass fine.The problems appear when people use the FAST divx mode etc sacrificing quality for time.

264 is becoming more popular.I think Gordian Knot can use that.
I use WINFF on other stranger files.