PDA

View Full Version : Explorer toolbar buttons in Vista

Colpol
03-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Can anyone tell me if you can get the Button toolbar for Vista Explorer, the same as available in all previous versions of Windows.

Cheers
Colin

wainuitech
03-03-2008, 09:56 AM
If you mean the menu Bar as in File, View Edit Tools etc open a folder, click Organize/layout/menu Bar.

If you mean Internet Explorer on the Right hand side click Tools/Menu Bar.

The back and forward buttons are already there in the top left hand corner.

darroll
03-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Don't get the question.
Are you talking about Windows Explorer.
Explorer is under Accessories in Vista.
darroll

Colpol
03-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Thank you for your prompt reply Wainuitech.
In XP explorer (not Internet Explorer) you have a tool bar with buttons. This is customisable and you can add or remove buttons as required i.e.
In Vista I only have the file/edit/view/tools/Help. and below that the toolbar with Organise/Views on it. I cannot see a way to customise it.
I selected organise as you suggested but unable to find anything that will bringup the button toolbar I am looking for.

wainuitech
03-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Okay - Found This Here (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/tabbed-explorer-add-on-for-windows-vista-and-an-up-button-too/) Its an Addin for Vista - NORMALLY I test any of these things before posting unless I've tried it before - At present I have not tried it, to busy with work at the moment - so I don't know if it will work or have any " Side Effects".

May or may be what you want.??

Colpol
03-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Okay - Found This Here (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/tabbed-explorer-add-on-for-windows-vista-and-an-up-button-too/) Its an Addin for Vista - NORMALLY I test any of these things before posting unless I've tried it before - At present I have not tried it, to busy with work at the moment - so I don't know if it will work or have any " Side Effects".

May or may be what you want.??

Thanks WT. Looks good. Will try it tomorrow and let you know.

Cheers
Colin

Colpol
04-03-2008, 07:55 AM
Hi WT.
Instaled the tool bar. Installed with no problems.
Thanks for you suggestion but it didnt have the buttons I wanted i.e. Delete, Map Drive, Disconnect Drive, Cut, Copy, and Paste.
Will do some hunting and see if I can sus something.
Once again thanks for the time you took.

Cheers
Colin

sal
04-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I was going to recommend QTTabBar (http://qttabbar.wikidot.com/) which is what is used in the How-To Geek article. It's quite good (especially with the tab support for explorer windows) but I haven't used it since a couple of fresh installs ago, I might look back into. I'm quite certain also that Cut/Copy/Paste is available as buttons in this add-on.

A couple of things I like QTTabBar is the double-click to go up a directory and the hover-preview for images. It works just as well in XP as Vista too. It does have a few tiny tiny annoyances though but it's still a great app so maybe they've sorted the rough edges I felt it had 6 months ago.

Colpol
05-03-2008, 07:48 AM
Thanks Sal.
You inspired me to look further. Found a plugin for QT that has it all.
Thanks a million. Your blood is worth bottling.:thumbs:

Cheers
Colin