PDA

View Full Version : Acronis Backup

Pato
03-03-2008, 10:35 AM
I think I have made a backup. Is there anyway of testing it other than doing a validate.?
Or do I have to wait until I need the backup and keep my fingers crossed.?

wratterus
03-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Just restore a backup right after you've made one, if it goes without erroring, it's working! :thumbs:

wainuitech
03-03-2008, 10:42 AM
If its a whole drive backup / Image, try it on another drive that can be wiped by unplugging your working drive and attach a spare to test the image.

If its simply files / folders - make sure you do a manual copy / paste of the originals to another location Before trying other wise IF there is a failure for what ever reason you could lose every thing.

NEVER just "hope" or "Assume" its been done right - backups are of no use if they don't work, they do need to be tested every so often.

nofam
03-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Is there any reason you couldn't use vmware etc to test this?

The same thought had crossed my mind too, to be honest

Neil McC
03-03-2008, 01:17 PM

That's a good thought.Had to do a restore last week which worked but it would be nice if the image could be tested in Virtual PC.Any one tried it?

Pato
03-03-2008, 01:28 PM

The same thought had crossed my mind too, to be honest
I will have a look at vmware and see what it does. Thanks.

Pato
03-03-2008, 01:32 PM
If its a whole drive backup / Image, try it on another drive that can be wiped by unplugging your working drive and attach a spare to test the image.

If its simply files / folders - make sure you do a manual copy / paste of the originals to another location Before trying other wise IF there is a failure for what ever reason you could lose every thing.

NEVER just "hope" or "Assume" its been done right - backups are of no use if they don't work, they do need to be tested every so often.
Sounds easy when you have spare drives to play around with but I am not in the position. Will bear in mind about copy/paste. I agree one shouldn't hope but it looks as though that is what I will be doing LOL.

wainuitech
03-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Backing up Data, Downloaded software that you paid for, with product keys , any personal items - Photos, Email etc are the main things that should be backed up and checked.

Hardware can usually be replaced - Operating systems and programs as long as you have the Install disks can always be reinstalled. (its a pain but not the end of the world).

jberries
03-03-2008, 02:11 PM
I know acronis does have a validate function, but I guess you can never really tell if that will work.

Pato
03-03-2008, 02:22 PM
I know acronis does have a validate function, but I guess you can never really tell if that will work.
I find Acronis is not very user friendly and I am sure there are other programs that are easier to use. Perhaps I haven't studied the Manual sufficiently.

martnz
03-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Hi guys,

I''ve used Acronis V8 for a few years, and certainly gets my vote!

Assuming you've made an "image" backup (ie the entire HDD has been copied to one huge file), V8 has an "explore image" option (am sure other versions will have a similar function somewhere). This "mounts" the image as a sort of virtual drive, and lets you browse all files and open (or copy) individual files.

If sample data files can be found and opened in this way, guess increases confidence the backup has worked!

Depending on how important (or easy to replace) your data is, off-site copies are another great idea...

Regards, Martnz

jberries
03-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Yeah I find acronis quite verbose

Pato
03-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Hi guys,

I''ve used Acronis V8 for a few years, and certainly gets my vote!

Assuming you've made an "image" backup (ie the entire HDD has been copied to one huge file), V8 has an "explore image" option (am sure other versions will have a similar function somewhere). This "mounts" the image as a sort of virtual drive, and lets you browse all files and open (or copy) individual files.

If sample data files can be found and opened in this way, guess increases confidence the backup has worked!

Depending on how important (or easy to replace) your data is, off-site copies are another great idea...

Regards, Martnz
Therein lies my quandary. I am fairly sure I have made an "image" backup of the entire HDD. I will explore V10 and see if that option is available and if it tells how to use it.

wainuitech
03-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Therein lies my quandary. I am fairly sure I have made an "image" backup of the entire HDD. I will explore V10 and see if that option is available and if it tells how to use it.

Acronis is easy to use, The latest version is V11.

Basically it asks you want you want to do- back up the whole drive, certain files or folders, then the wizard asks where you want it backed up to - HD, network Storage, CD/DVD.

The old saying if in doubt READ THE MANUAL (http://download.acronis.com/pdf/TrueImage11_ug.en.pdf) - <<< Thats a direct download of the Manual 10.5Mb PDF File. To save that to your PC, RIGHT click / Save as

Pato
03-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Acronis is easy to use, The latest version is V11.

Basically it asks you want you want to do- back up the whole drive, certain files or folders, then the wizard asks where you want it backed up to - HD, network Storage, CD/DVD.

The old saying if in doubt READ THE MANUAL (http://download.acronis.com/pdf/TrueImage11_ug.en.pdf) - <<< Thats a direct download of the Manual 10.5Mb PDF File. To save that to your PC, RIGHT click / Save as
I have v10 installed and have followed the Manual for back-up. Thanks for your help.

wainuitech
03-03-2008, 08:36 PM
No Prob's hope it works OK for you.

Most Backup software can be a bit daunting at first, no matter what it is.

After you use the software for a while, it becomes second nature, usually backup software has many options and choices - sometimes to many. ;)

psycik
03-03-2008, 09:39 PM
I've used acronis for a number of years. I run it on my pvr and find it great to be able to make large os changes/channel lineups etc and revert in 12 mins back to to its pre-play around state.

I can't recommend it enough. And with version 10+ there is a data back up as well which is like a regular directory based back up rather than partition based.

mzee
04-03-2008, 10:25 PM
If you think Acronis is not user friendly try Norton Ghost 12!!

The Validate function does work, & I have never had a crook backup in several years. I can not say the same for Norton Ghost.

Pato
05-03-2008, 09:16 AM
If you think Acronis is not user friendly try Norton Ghost 12!!

The Validate function does work, & I have never had a crook backup in several years. I can not say the same for Norton Ghost.
That is good to hear. From observations I wouldn't try anything Norton!!