PDA

View Full Version : ADSL- Cable Router purchasing advice

Sick Puppy
03-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Hi everyone, I'm looking at purchasing a wireless router (modem?) for the flat I've just moved into- problem is that I know nothing about them! lol

What I do know is:
*I will be using it for broadband cable (Telstra) at the moment, but will also want it for ADSL also; I'm assuming I'm keeping it at this stage, and while we're on Telstra now, I might be on Telecom et al in the future;
*It will be used between three people, all with laptops; my flatmates will be using it for e-mail and light surfing; I will be using it for e-mails, a bit more surfing and at some point possibly torrenting, although I would be happy to plug into the router direct for this (many-hundred MB downloads over wireless I imagine would take a while! lol)

Firstly, can anyone recommend what specs or criteria I should be looking for? I realise the above is a bit sparse!

Can anyone recommend any brands and rough pricing I should be looking at? D Link apparently had a few quality issues last year (do they now?) others are meant to be okay, Linksys pretty good... I don't know. :D I went to the Telstra shop in Wellie and someone there recommended a Netgear Rangemax for $130. Looks to be a good price on Pricespy...

Thanks for your help everyone!

Speedy Gonzales
03-03-2008, 12:29 AM
Wireless isnt that slow, even when copying files on a network.

If there's a good sgnal, its as good as ethernet.

Altho, not as fast, but you dont really notice.

But it would still be fast, if youre on adsl or cable.

As if you were using ethernet

All you have to do, is make sure its secure.

Wouldnt a cable modem, be different from an ADSL modem?

Sick Puppy
03-03-2008, 12:56 AM
Dunno, I was told that the Netgear one was suitable for both types, but I had the impression that it was one type for cable and another for ADSL, unless it was the wireless function only the guy was talking about... dammit, I wish I know more about this stuff, but then that's why I'm asking I guess. We already have a box here for the modem, so my purchase is either for a modem/ router (replacing the box) or just a router (plug into box), assuming I have the parts etc right... sorry I can't be of more help with the description Speedy!

Speedy Gonzales
03-03-2008, 01:11 AM
I think they are different

ie: this (http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/sbg900/default.asp)

Click on view larger back images

Altho it has USB and ethernet, (I think thats an ethernet port), it uses coaxial (same as a TV connection)

Whereas an ADSL modem, may have USB and ethernet, but doesnt have a coaxial connection, it has an rj45 jack, whatever its called..

beeswax34
03-03-2008, 02:12 AM
I think they are different

ie: this (http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/sbg900/default.asp)

Click on view larger back images

Altho it has USB and ethernet, (I think thats an ethernet port), it uses coaxial (same as a TV connection)

Whereas an ADSL modem, may have USB and ethernet, but doesnt have a coaxial connection, it has an rj45 jack, whatever its called..

You're right, theres a Ethernet port AND a USB port on the back and the coaxial port thingy too.

MushHead
03-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Generally, most ADSL modems around are in fact routers. What you need for Telstra cable is an ethernet-only router. For the typical wireless router, you get 4 ethernet LAN ports + WiFi LAN + a WAN port. In an ADSL one, the WAN is the ADSL connector, whereas the one you want just has another ethernet port as the WAN port. The "wireless router" description you see in the blurb refers to the latter, otherwise you'll see "wireless ADSL router".

If you switch to ADSL later (can't see why you'd want to voluntarily unless you moved to a cable-less area), you can feed your router's WAN port into the ADSL modem's LAN port (OK, plus some settings to fiddle about with).

I've just bought myself a Linksys WRT54GL for my Telstra cable connection to replage my ageing D-Link (with flaky wireless - no other problems BTW) & I'd be happy with either brand. There's probably not a lot wrong with any brand you've actually heard of these days.

Sick Puppy
03-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Yeah, that motorola box is what we have at the mo, so I'm assuming what I want is the wireless router to broadcast/receive internet and e-mails to plug in the back?

Sorry I haven't got terminology etc right- not on top of my game at the mo, while trying to keep my lunch in- bit of a stimach bug at the mo!

pheonix
03-03-2008, 06:54 PM
The key word for what you want is a Wireless AP or Access Point.

An example here (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=139988)

pheonix
03-03-2008, 06:58 PM
It will plug into your Ethernet socket of your Telstra modem. It will enable you to plug other computers into any of the 4 ethernet ports it has , or connect via Wireless. It will allow all these to access the Internet via the Telstra modem and also if the computers are set up, transfer data between each other.

Sick Puppy
03-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks Phoenix- the netgear one I was recommended in Telstra appears to be $90 more in DSE- I think I had better check with them when (if!) I go to work tomorrow- maybe on special offer? This one work you you assuming you bought it, or just an example?

Sick Puppy
09-03-2008, 11:47 PM
ALright then, did some reading and stuff, and I'm still having issues with the difference between a wireless access point and a wireless router (router seems to be a wireless AP as well as doing routing stuff?), a geekzone thread about routers on Telstra connections seems to recommend the Linksys WRT54GL:

http://www-nz.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=NZ%2FLayout&cid=1139414762580&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=6258069027B07

Things I'm curious about however, are:
1. Price- $200 in DSE, about $110-140 online (checked pricespy)? I realise DSE is a high street shop as opposed to online shops, but that is still a big difference- are the low prices about right?
2. Software- from the reading I have done I can see that G is the standard version, GL is the linux version enabling third party software modding. I'm not worried about the difference in price, but is the GL one more suited for Telstra/ wireless networking in general, and would it be easy to work with? I am willing to have a go, but am very new to wireless networking, and searching for componentry is a lot muddier than looking for PC's etc... thanks for your help!

ughnz
10-03-2008, 06:12 PM
ALright then, did some reading and stuff, and I'm still having issues with the difference between a wireless access point and a wireless router (router seems to be a wireless AP as well as doing routing stuff?), a geekzone thread about routers on Telstra connections seems to recommend the Linksys WRT54GL:

http://www-nz.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=NZ%2FLayout&cid=1139414762580&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=6258069027B07

Things I'm curious about however, are:
1. Price- $200 in DSE, about $110-140 online (checked pricespy)? I realise DSE is a high street shop as opposed to online shops, but that is still a big difference- are the low prices about right?
2. Software- from the reading I have done I can see that G is the standard version, GL is the linux version enabling third party software modding. I'm not worried about the difference in price, but is the GL one more suited for Telstra/ wireless networking in general, and would it be easy to work with? I am willing to have a go, but am very new to wireless networking, and searching for componentry is a lot muddier than looking for PC's etc... thanks for your help!

Depending on what version of the G you get it can have less RAM then the GL version, which for lots of torrenting can make a difference to your throughput.

Also some of the third party firmwares you can get for the GL can give you lots of neat features like WORKING QOS, better firewall protection and many other things to help manage your bandwidth.

Sick Puppy
16-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Sweet, will definitely be going for the WRT54GL. Cheers!