PDA

View Full Version : Internet Crisis

wertyfree
02-03-2008, 09:35 PM
:badpc: Hello, I'm facing a little problem; my homestay is draining my bandwidth. Is there a way in which I can control how fast his internet speed or prevent him from draining my speed without pulling out his connection altogether?

ps he is inconsiderate and asking him to get off or stop downloading useless random files and music won't help

beeswax34
02-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Welcome to PressF1 :)

May I suggest getting a new homestay?

Just joking. Go to your router and see if it supports QOS (Quality of Service) rules which means that you should be able to impose restrictions in terms of bandwidth to specific devices and applications.

KerryDP
02-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Get a spare PC and set up a proxy server on it... Route the traffic through it (make it the DHCP server) and you can throttle his bandwidth.

Agent_24
03-03-2008, 12:40 AM
I thought QoS was about making sure certain protocols get higher priority than others, rather then limiting certain ones. Besides, you'd want to limit his LAN IP address rather than the actual protocols or you might end up limiting them for yourself

I just looked at my own router, it supports QoS and looks like I might be able to make some IP addresses have 'low' piority (but what does that mean?)

Easier way or if your router doesn't have QoS options maye be to get yourself (or use) an old PC, put 2 network cards in and install smoothwall or other linux firewall on it - then you should be able to do anything you want....

apsattv
03-03-2008, 01:27 AM
Internet crisis?

The only thing going on here is STUPIDITY, tell your homestay to pay for their own internet or go to a netcafe.

Stop being so generous

beeswax34
03-03-2008, 02:08 AM
Well I have Device Priority in my QOS rules which means that I have to enter the MAC address of the device/machine I want to have less bandwidth than others and slow it down.

If the homestay uses a particular application that you dont then its even better, because they you can just absolutely give it 0 priority.

Myth
03-03-2008, 06:43 AM
Some routers have access control. You can use this to restrict where they go on the net, what times they can access the net, and which computer can access the net.

However, if this homestay is using your computer, you may just have to restrict what sites they can visit. Or password-protect your computer

utopian201
03-03-2008, 10:00 AM
They are still a guest in your house really. Depending on how much they are paying to live in your house and any prior agreements, internet access is a privilege, not a right.

If they don't agree, perhaps you could increase their rent and accordingly move to an internet with higher capacity?

motorbyclist
11-03-2008, 12:50 AM
tell him to pay the bill:2cents:

Billy T
11-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Is there a way in which I can control how fast his internet speed or prevent him from draining my speed without pulling out his connection altogether?

I assume that the cost is your key problem, so don't give him a connection by default, give him access on demand and terminate the connection after his allocated time has expired. If that doesn't work, or is impractical, stop playing the victim and cut the connection completely.

Then offer him the choice of paying for unlimited bandwidth as an extra sum on top of his homestay charges, or arrange dial-up for him at his expense (especially if you have to have an extra line installed to keep your phone free).

If you choose to do nothing, you have no grounds for complaint.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)