PDA

View Full Version : Cable connection very slow

Robbie W
02-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Hiya hoping to find some help here.

80 mins to get hold of paradise tech so thought I'd have a try here.

I get very slow connection speeds at times during the last few days,made no new installations etc,for some reason the connection just slows down then later on goes well for a while.I can't understand it no info re slow server on paradise site.

Quite easy tell when it is on slow go I just start outlook and if it doesn't download email in secs I know "here we go again".

I was hoping to find a thread here suggesting it was paradise not my computer.

I had this sort of problem about 5 weeks ago when I finally got in touch with them they said they would send a technician out at my expense of course and 2 hrs later I got a phone call to say they had fixed the problem.

This time it has been going on for about 3 days and as I have paid subs for online games it is getting very frustrating.

Comments or any help most appreciated.

As a point of interest it took me 19 mins to acess this page so I could write this.

Just ran outlook not even 1sec to get the no messages.

jamesmcphersonvrx22rochel
02-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Hi Robbie,

What sort of plan are you on? Is it possible that you have been capped?

I had a similar problem (im with Telecom though) where i would lose connection with Telecom. I rang them up and got them to do a port reset which solved the problem. but that was a total loss of connection not a slow connection.

You should try to update your network card drivers (or if the network card is built in to your motherboard then update the motherboard drivers instead)

Another thing to try is see if there are any firmware updates for your modem. (make sure you do a backup of the modem's config first)

cheers,

James

tutaenui
02-03-2008, 08:57 PM
First port of call should be Paradise home page and check network status. This should tell you if it is a general problem or something particular to you.
There has being some problems in Paradise over the last few months and hopefully they will be over soon.

Robbie W
02-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Hi James not capped new month just started and they charge not cap :).Any way since writing I have been playing my online game nonstop no problems.Got back to this site and page before I could say "Jack Robinson"I also point out that I can watch the connection icon just stays blue when a good speed.

Thanks for reply just can't see it being the modem all lights are as normal at all times and the status is connected 20mps.

Tuta no they never put it on the home page and very seldom have a message like that on the support site,pleased to see you say they have been having problems hopefully that is what is wrong.They never give a credit for poor service though.

Regards Gramps

plod
02-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Hi James not capped new month just started and they charge not cap :).Any way since writing I have been playing my online game nonstop no problems.Got back to this site and page before I could say "Jack Robinson"I also point out that I can watch the connection icon just stays blue when a good speed.

Thanks for reply just can't see it being the modem all lights are as normal at all times and the status is connected 20mps.

Tuta no they never put it on the home page and very seldom have a message like that on the support site,pleased to see you say they have been having problems hopefully that is what is wrong.They never give a credit for poor service though.

Regards Gramps

for faults its best to check the status page (http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co.nz/) at telstraclear

jamesmcphersonvrx22rochel
03-03-2008, 05:39 PM

Regards Gramps

Hi Gramps,

Even though the modem lights seem normal, manufacturers of modems release new firmware for their devices which fix problems. It is worth a shot to see if it makes a difference. I have often fixed intermittent problems like this with basic updates. It is a good place to start, update everything to latest versions then try troubleshoot the issues.

What make and model is your modem?

Cheers

James

Robbie W
03-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Thanks James

Motorolo SURFboard SB5100 USB cable modem supplied by Telstra.I will look into this about the only item i have not updated drivers.

Regards Gramps

DUNK
04-03-2008, 02:08 AM
Don't worry about a 'Firmware Update' Telstra do them automatically. You mayneed to 'reboot' the modem though (Pull the power lead from the back of modem. Small black one at the bottom) Leave it 'unpowered for about 5 minutes, then replace it. That's how the modem 'reboots' with cable.
There's a way to check the modem status too. But the URL escapes me at present!
Regards.

the_bogan
04-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Thats the 192.168.0.1 isn't it? Or is that the router....

wainuitech
04-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Had a similar problem with my connection last year, up and down , slow then ultra fast - wouldn't stay stable.

The guy from Telstra came attached his box of tricks - and a few ewwwws and arwhhhs thats not right - and he adjusted the settings and that fixed the problem.

It was something to do with the frequency being to high, and causing the modem to cut out, the db rating was up around 60-70.

After adjustment Here are the settings today (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Modem1204572430.jpg) - they do change slightly all the time, but the Tech guy said the Signal to Noise Ratio should be in the Low 40's at the most, lower the better, last night it was around 41.
There's a way to check the modem status too. But the URL escapes me at present The address is http://192.168.100.1

michael_elliston
08-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Had a similar problem with my connection last year, up and down , slow then ultra fast - wouldn't stay stable.

The guy from Telstra came attached his box of tricks - and a few ewwwws and arwhhhs thats not right - and he adjusted the settings and that fixed the problem.

It was something to do with the frequency being to high, and causing the modem to cut out, the db rating was up around 60-70.

After adjustment Here are the settings today (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Modem1204572430.jpg) - they do change slightly all the time, but the Tech guy said the Signal to Noise Ratio should be in the Low 40's at the most, lower the better, last night it was around 41. The address is http://192.168.100.1
Why isnt the modem self selecting the right bands to use? software fault?

wainuitech
08-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Why isnt the modem self selecting the right bands to use? software fault?
The story I got from the Telstra Tech was ---- Telstra had made some changes to the Cable connections, upgraded equipment or something like that.

At the time my Modem had a filter of some kind attached because the original signal was WAY to strong and would cause problems, when they "upgraded" the filter was now causing problems - when he removed it, the setting were all " up the wop" - so he reset it to the required settings and apart from the odd outage( which any service gets) its been fine.

michael_elliston
08-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Interesting
I guess if your really close to the exchange,and theres not much line attentuation it could be 'too loud' - requiring a unit to drop it down to a reasonable level. (I have a backround in analogue/digital/some ICT)