PDA

View Full Version : Eee PC Memory type

jwil1
02-03-2008, 02:53 PM
What type of memory is used in the Eee PC? Am thinking if buying one for uni and want to upgrade to 1.5GB (from 1/2GB) when I purchase it. One assumes it can run XP Prof...

How much would it cost and where to get the RAM from?

Also is it worth getting an extra 4GB of storage (in the form of an SD card)? PC will mainly be for uni related stuff. The reason I want 1.5GB of ram is because I want no paging file so I will have max space on the 4GB HD.

Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2008, 03:13 PM
If its one of these it uses DDR2 ram (http://www.asus.com.tw/search.aspx?searchitem=1&searchkey=eee)

According to the ASUS download site, there's 7 versions of the EEE PC.

The others are Linux based

jwil1
02-03-2008, 03:17 PM
If its one of these it uses DDR2 ram (http://www.asus.com.tw/search.aspx?searchitem=1&searchkey=eee)

According to the ASUS download site, there's 7 versions of the EEE PC.

The others are Linux based

I want to get the 4GB one (running Linux) from DSE or wherever, then possibly upgrade it to 1.5GB of ram and install XP. Which type of DDR2 ram should I get? (eg DDR2-400, DDR2-667 etc etc)

Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Pass. Read the manual

There's 2 4GB Linux versions

The 4G version (http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePC/EeePC4G(701)/e3605_EeePC4G_080125.zip) <- direct link

And there's the 4G Surf/Linux

Looks like both use the same manual

LiquidSolidity
02-03-2008, 06:28 PM
This forum seems to have all the answers: http://www.eeeuser.com/

somebody
02-03-2008, 08:43 PM
The Eee PC only has one RAM slot. So whatever you do, you will have to discard whatever is in there.

beeswax34
02-03-2008, 10:29 PM
PM Chilling Silence and he'll give you all the specs you need.

Chilling_Silence
02-03-2008, 11:42 PM
That would be DDR2 SO-DIMM 667Mhz (PC2 5300) memory. Check Pricespy for prices but IIRC it'll be around the $45 mark for 1GB.
The default kernel only supports 1.5GB, and lets be realistic it runs pretty smooth on just 512MB as-is... In Linux at least ;)

WinXP can see 2GB by default, and there's a ton of How-To's available out there, including installation to an SDHC card.
Not sure if its still affecting people but there were mixed results with SDHC cards, some people had to throttle the USB controller back to USB1.1 speeds making them less-desirable.

Personally I'd opt for a 2GB SD card (Ive got 512MB and its not being used at all, still using the remaining 1.4GB from the Linux install -- Im a Uni student also!)

Now IIRC there's only one slot so you have to replace the 512MB stick rather than add to it, and you'll want to keep the old chip because if you have to ship it back to Asus for replacement they request you put the original RAM back in.

Hope this helps

Chill.

Chilling_Silence
11-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Just thought I'd drag this sucker up

Ive just ordered 2GB Ram for $60-ish for my EeePC.

I did an nLite'd XP installation using only my Thumbdrive / SD-Card and over-wrote the Linux install on the main 4GB Drive. Took a little fiddling but the EeePC was fine with booting from the SD Card and the USB Drives too so that was handy.

XP with 512MB Ram and a <100MB Swap = bad news! DEFINITELY needs 1GB+.. I open Outlook 2003, Firefox & Live Messenger and I get an error telling me its trying to increase my Swap file size... NEVER had that issue in Linux on it.

I could open the Music Player (in the background), play a video, have OpenOffice Writer, Adobe Reader, Pidgin (msn), Firefox with around 15 Tabs, and it was snappy as anything!

XP sadly isnt, and also takes around twice as long to boot and 5x longer to shut-down.

Still, Im going to give it a good thrashing with 2GB Ram and see how I go, HDD space remaining is minimal but still around 600MB remaining.

Cheers

Chill.

somebody
11-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Just thought I'd drag this sucker up

Ive just ordered 2GB Ram for $60-ish for my EeePC.

I did an nLite'd XP installation using only my Thumbdrive / SD-Card and over-wrote the Linux install on the main 4GB Drive. Took a little fiddling but the EeePC was fine with booting from the SD Card and the USB Drives too so that was handy.

XP with 512MB Ram and a <100MB Swap = bad news! DEFINITELY needs 1GB+.. I open Outlook 2003, Firefox & Live Messenger and I get an error telling me its trying to increase my Swap file size... NEVER had that issue in Linux on it.

I could open the Music Player (in the background), play a video, have OpenOffice Writer, Adobe Reader, Pidgin (msn), Firefox with around 15 Tabs, and it was snappy as anything!

XP sadly isnt, and also takes around twice as long to boot and 5x longer to shut-down.

Still, Im going to give it a good thrashing with 2GB Ram and see how I go, HDD space remaining is minimal but still around 600MB remaining.

Cheers

Chill.

Hmm... I have XP, Firefox, Office 2007. Eee PC with 512mb RAM, 4gb SSD, 4G SDHC for data.

I've simultaneously run Firefox, Powerpoint, and played a video (mov format) without any issues.

Chilling_Silence
14-03-2008, 08:22 AM
How big is your swap file?

Mine was 75MB IIRC and it kept trying to increase it...

pctek
14-03-2008, 10:01 AM
I want to get the 4GB one (running Linux) from DSE or wherever, then possibly upgrade it to 1.5GB of ram and install XP.

The thing only has A 4gb Flash drive in it. XP would take up too much room.
ASUS are bringing out a new model of it soon - with XP on it. And presumably a small (but actual) HDD.

SKT174
14-03-2008, 10:33 AM
I've installed 2GB RAM on my Eee PC, I've set up a RAM drive of 768MB, using a fixed size of 512MB for SWAP file and the rest for Internet temp and windows temp files.

It runs extremely smooth.

somebody
14-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Chill: Swap file on my machine is 256MB.

pctek: I have XP, Office 2k7, Firefox, and a couple of other small programs installed on my 4GB Eee, and still have just under 1GB of free space. It runs fine.

The new 9" models come with either 8, 12, or 20GB of solid state memory - 8GB for the XP model, and 12 and 20 for the Linux model. See: http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/09/asus-spills-more-details-on-the-9-inch-eee/

Chilling_Silence
14-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Yeah, still no Hard Drive, SSD only..

somebody, I had much less SWAP, it kept popping up, sucks that it wants one so badly thats 100MB+

And a clean XP install can be smaller than the default Linux install, however by the time you've added Office and a browser, chat client, skype & drivers, its roughly the same, leaving you with 1-1.5GB (Depending on how good you are with nLite and slim your Office installation is).

That's plenty of space for a device like this.
Want more room? 2GB SD-Card = $20 :)

Sure you'll never have hundreds of compressed h.264 files on there, but hey, its not intended as a Desktop Replacement device! ;)

jwil1
14-03-2008, 05:35 PM
I have already made a nLited copy of XP - takes up just over 400MB when installed (and when there's no swap file!) :D

I've optimised it for the Eee - I removed things like floppy drive support, integrated CD burning and the hoplessly slow Help and support centre.

Still considering buying a 2 or 4GB SD card to have permanently in it - how reliable are they in the long run??

Whats a good price to pay for one? the DSE ones look bl**dy expensive! $150 for 4GB, $100 for 2GB.

Chilling_Silence
14-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Nah dont go to DSE! I stopped by friendlycomputer.co.nz's physical shop just the other day and got a 2GB one for $20...

They're quite reliable, and if you've just got it plugged in and not actually doing anything then the power will reduce your battery life by approx 1 -> 2.5 minutes on a full 3 1/2 hour discharge :P Nothing!

Dont get a 4GB one, the card reader inside the EeePC has mixed results with SDHC cards, stick with 2GB and play it safe or get a 4GB USB Thumbdrive (Around $25 IIRC from Qmb.co.nz)

You're not in Auckland though I see, so www.pricespy.co.nz is your friend :)

somebody
14-03-2008, 07:45 PM
I got a 4GB SDHC Class 6 (equivalent) card from LaptopBattery for something like $30. It works great.

Chilling_Silence
15-03-2008, 12:43 AM
You must be one of the lucky few, myself along with hundreds of others at eeeuser.com arent quite as blessed with our SDHC card purchases :P

If you know the exact brand / model of SDHC card though, I'd love to buy one myself!!! :D

somebody
15-03-2008, 07:51 AM
One is this one (https://laptopbattery.co.nz/products.asp?product_no=20766) - note, their picture is wrong, it actually has a gold label on it, and is the "4GB MUT Tachyon SDHC" model.

The one I'm using full time is a 4GB A-Data SDHC Class 6 Turbo card.

jcr1
15-03-2008, 08:43 AM
I got an Adata Turbo CLASS 6 SDHC Card 4Gb, from Acquire, for $27, and it works fine.
Also got a 2gb thumb drive, on special for about the same price, from Harvey Norman.
So, I'm prepared for the next time we go away, with my trusty eee PC in my camera bag:thumbs:

Haven't been tempted to install XP or anything else on it; it's better just like it is, IMO.

jwil1
15-03-2008, 11:10 AM
A bit off topic - but where can you get bags for Eee's from??

stormdragon
15-03-2008, 11:43 AM
A bit off topic - but where can you get bags for Eee's from??

I thought they came with a neoprene sleeve?

jcr1
15-03-2008, 12:11 PM

Mine did. It was in the box.
From DSE.

jwil1
15-03-2008, 12:28 PM

I was meaning something like the traditional 'laptop bag' - one that has a strap and a zip-up compartment etc with space for cables.

stormdragon
15-03-2008, 12:35 PM
I was meaning something like the traditional 'laptop bag' - one that has a strap and a zip-up compartment etc with space for cables.

Don't know that anybody makes them for the EEE as its that small and can take a bit of a knock, that it can go it a normal backpack or shoulder bag.

somebody
15-03-2008, 01:23 PM
There are aftermarket "laptop bag" type products available, produced by 3rd parties. You would most likely be able to find them on Ebay etc.

Chilling_Silence
15-03-2008, 02:40 PM
I have a carry case for my Wii, goto TradeMe and search "Wii Bag" and you get:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Gaming/Nintendo/Wii/auction-145005735.htm?p=2

Cost ya $30, and it fits the EeePC quite well, plenty of room for the power adapter to fit in there and a few other things like Thumbdrives / SD-Cards...
Beats going out and spending $100 for an EeePC-specific bag :(

But yes, the EeePC can take quite a thrashing surprisingly, they're quite strong, eeeuser.com had a link to a Video / review a short while ago on the bashing they can stand up to!

beeswax34
15-03-2008, 03:08 PM
I have a carry case for my Wii, goto TradeMe and search "Wii Bag" and you get:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Gaming/Nintendo/Wii/auction-145005735.htm?p=2

Cost ya $30, and it fits the EeePC quite well, plenty of room for the power adapter to fit in there and a few other things like Thumbdrives / SD-Cards...
Beats going out and spending $100 for an EeePC-specific bag :(

But yes, the EeePC can take quite a thrashing surprisingly, they're quite strong, eeeuser.com had a link to a Video / review a short while ago on the bashing they can stand up to!

Here's the link to that video (http://www.dailymotion.com/search/eee/video/x4dhhl_tests-resistance-chocs-chaleur-froi_tech)