PDA

View Full Version : WinXP License

emmerc
02-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Hello Friends,

I need your advice. Because of the software I use I need to use WinXP although I use also Ubuntu for several other purposes.
The point is, if I install WinXp in a machine and then later on I upgrade this machine substantially or simply I replace the said machine uninstalling the OS from the old PC and I wish to install the OS in the new, the end user license tells me "You may also need to reactivate the Software if you modify your computer hardware or alter the Software." I have heard about long calls to support service that arrive to nothing or that by the end of the day the end user needs to buy another installation CD.

Where is the truth and what to do? May I use my WinXP OS simply without registering it so I might migrate later to a new machine?

Thanks a lot for your so kind help

CYaBro
02-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Don't get confused between Windows Activation and Windows Registration.

Registration is optional and I have never done it.

Activation is required after 30 days otherwise you can't log in to Windows.

If a license was activated more than 6 months ago (I think this is the time frame) then you can easily use it on another machine and it should activate with no problems over the internet.
If you are wanting to activate it on another machine within the 6 months then you may have problems and you will have to do it by phone.
They ask you a couple of questions like "Is this the only PC this license of Windows is installed on?" & "Have you removed windows from the other PC?"
If you answer Yes to those then you get the activation key.

PENTIUM
02-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Provided you have uninstalled XP from the activated machine and provided you have not installed the same XP disk elsewhere, it should take you about 15 minutes to reactivate the program with the 0800 New Zealand reactivation people.
It could be helpful if you tell them you have made a hardware change.
Not registering XP will cause the installation to abort after 30 days.
Those persons who were not given an installation disk with their P C are the ones that all the palaver is about.

PENTIUM
02-03-2008, 01:34 PM
If you are really in the Philippines the support number will be different!

emmerc
02-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Thanks a lot CYaBro and PENTIUM for your advice I do appreciate it. All the best!