PDA

View Full Version : Trying to choose a modem

Robinz
01-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Hi, Any recommendations on a new broadband modem. I'm so frustrated with the constant dropouts of my Internet connection with ihug that I'm prepared to spend out on a new modem so I can eliminate that as a source of my problems. At the moment I'm using a DSE branded router/splitter but I want a replacement that I can be confident in. Haven't decided whether to get a laptop (don't own one at the moment) or a new desktop or both so I might get one with both wireless and cable capabilities. Any suggestions appreciated!

Safari
02-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Wireless Dynalink RTA1025W seems to be reasonable if you want to go to a wireless one. Haven't experienced any problems with it.

pctek
02-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Non-wireless Dynalink is OK too, I've used one for ages.

password
02-03-2008, 08:56 AM
I have a D-Link DSL-504T 4 port modem and it has been awesome =)

bk T
02-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Your problem is most probably with Ihug rather than the DSE router. ISPs' helpdesk people are fond of blaming users' equipment. By changing to another router may not help your frequent connection droppings if the problem is with the ISP or the telephone line. BYW, what makes you think that it's your DSE router that's causing the problem?

Anyway, I am using a DLink 502T without any issues.

Robinz
03-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Your problem is most probably with Ihug rather than the DSE router. ISPs' helpdesk people are fond of blaming users' equipment. By changing to another router may not help your frequent connection droppings if the problem is with the ISP or the telephone line. BYW, what makes you think that it's your DSE router that's causing the problem?

Anyway, I am using a DLink 502T without any issues.

Well I don't know that it is a problem, just trying to eliminate it as a possible one so that if I'm blaming ihug I don't have that nagging doubt in the back of my mind that I haven't done all I reasonably can to eliminate any problems my end. I guess I don't put much store in DSE branded products. I tend to think of them as repackaging some $1 no-name from china and reselling it on for $80!

Robinz
03-03-2008, 11:49 PM
OK D-Link and Dyna-link have both been put forward, and I noticed in other threads that Linksy seems to have a good name too so maybe I'll stick with these three to choose from. I thought perhaps there would have been a clear leader,don't know why!
Maybe I should have asked what not to buy! :lol:

Digby
04-03-2008, 06:47 AM
I had constant drop outs (for over a year) so that I had to re-boot my PC and reset my router.

I had a lot of noise on my line - so got some plugs re-wired. Still got drop outs.

So I blamed my modem Dynalink RTA 1320.

I bought a Netcomm NB5Plus 4 and my connection goes for days and days - such luxury and no more frustrations !

Cicero
04-03-2008, 10:25 AM
My Dynalink rta 1335 has never dropped me!

wratterus
04-03-2008, 11:20 AM
I've had Dynalinks for a long time, never had a hint of an issue. Using an RTA 1320 at the moment.

Neil McC
04-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Wireless Dynalink RTA1025W seems to be reasonable if you want to go to a wireless one. Haven't experienced any problems with it.
No problems with this one also.

cajetan
04-03-2008, 12:30 PM
got one of these last week

Linksys WAG200G Wireless-G ADSL2+ with 4 ports

Incredibly Dick smiths has them cheapest at $129 normal retail is $199 even little Pc shops can't beat them

sooo easy to set up but the security setup was new to me but even then no probs!

bk T
04-03-2008, 01:47 PM
... I guess I don't put much store in DSE branded products. I tend to think of them as repackaging some $1 no-name from china and reselling it on for $80!

The question we have to ask these days is: "What is NOT made in China?" :D

DSE is certainly not the only company in NZ that is "repackaging some $1 no-name from china and reselling it for $80!"

If you are looking for a router (modem) which is not made in China, good luck to you!

The issue here is not China vs other countries. It is xx brand (or model) vs yy brand (or model).

Cicero
04-03-2008, 02:09 PM

DSE is certainly not the only company in NZ that is "repackaging some $1 no-name from china and reselling it for $80!"

If you are looking for a router (modem) which is not made in China, good luck to you!

The issue here is not China vs other countries. It is xx brand (or model) vs yy brand (or model).
One does appreciate a bit of profundity.

Robinz
05-03-2008, 12:39 AM

Of course your right. I was indeed trying to imply some thing particularly cheap in it's design and function and not that it must necessarily come from china, only that this price-range of products normally do. :)

bk T
05-03-2008, 09:15 AM
How long have you been with ihug? If possible, change to another ISP and that most likely will solve your problem. If the problem is with the ISP, by buying the best router in the world will not solve your problem.