PDA

View Full Version : Widescreen

EviLClouD
01-03-2008, 11:46 PM
If i was to buy a 22" widescreen monitor, what would happen if i ran games at 1024x768 resolution? (in other words 4:3 ratio). Would the image be stretched and made to fill the screen or will both sides be cut off so it's shown in a 4:3 ratio? Thanks in advance.

Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2008, 06:19 AM
Most of the games, I play here in fullscreen, take up the whole screen. These are 19' WS.

Dont think it matters what the size of the screen is tho.

EviLClouD
02-03-2008, 10:40 AM
I don't quite get your answer sorry. Could you please look at the image i've created and let me know the answer with either an A, B or neither...As of now i'm assuming your reply meant B...
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/2894/54287458pd8.gif
Here's what i'm asking. Will the original be shown as A or B?
Thank you.

Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Well like I said it takes up the whole screen.

No black bars

It'll probably be b

Either way it's good enough for me

Rod J
02-03-2008, 12:31 PM
I recently bought a Viewsonic 22" widescreen myself and most games will simply stretch to fill the screen like your "Widescreen B" image. However, look at the video options of the game, you may find that it has a setting for widescreen. I started playing Tomb Raider Legend in 1024x768 mode at first before I realised it had a widescreen setting in the options. I actually liked the stretched look of the game in any case, but the widescreen option does allow you to see more horizontally. Some older games surprisingly have settings for widescreen (e.g. "The Wheel of Time" can run at 1680x1050 which is the native resolution for this Viewsonic monitor).

EviLClouD
02-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Oh ok. Yea , I was just wondering cause i didn't know if any of these older games support widescreen...it seems that every game I play has a max resolution of 1280x960 or something...but yea, thanks for your replies. :)

autechre
03-03-2008, 09:58 AM
It depends on your video card. nVidia drivers have an option so that the picture doesn't stretch out and look crappy. So if you game at 1024x768, there will be a black border around the picture, but the pixels are still at the "native" resolution.

utopian201
03-03-2008, 10:01 AM
Not sure if the video card drivers can do that, I would have though it depends on the monitor. Some monitors have scaling to keep the aspect ratio. However this additional processing in the monitor can introduce input lag.

For some lcd monitors, resolutions lower than native resolution can be displayed either as stretch, fill (and have black bars on the sides), or 1:1, leaving black borders all around, but keeping a pixel sharp image.

wratterus
03-03-2008, 10:24 AM
You can set it how you like it as long as you have an Nvidia card.
:lol:

However, if you haven't got an 8800 card (or something that can run games at nuts resolutions), make sure you get a monitor that can 'downscale' well. (Display resolutions the are less than native and still look OK.)

I would highly recommend Viewsonic's 22" widescreens for this.