PDA

View Full Version : Monitor has gone funny colours - and no, degauss does not work

rpgsimmaster
01-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Exactly as the title says, my monitor has gone funny colours, and attempts to degauss it fail.

More specifically, I have a computer monitor which I provided a signal to while it was upside down. (Don't ask me why) That was all fine and dandy - it showed perfectly normal colours. But lo and behold, I turn it the right way up, and the colours go completely strange. Yet rotate 90 degrees one direction, and the monitor looks fine, 90 degrees the other direction and it I'm saying hello to the old days of green phosphorus monitors.

First thing I tried was completely disconnecting the screen and reconnecting it - no luck. Second I tried rotating it BACK upside down, unplugging it, turning it the right way up, then turning it back on. Still no luck.

I have made two attempts to degauss the screen - one by sitting it next to another screen and degaussing it, the other by using a powerpack to degauss it - neither to any success. The screen itself is a 1994 model and doesn't have inbuilt degauss circuitry (heck, it can't even take 1024x768 resolution)

Any ideas whatsoever?

wainuitech
01-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Hmmmm Sounds a bit Odd :confused: Could be something lose inside with the wiring not making full contact.

while it was upside down. (Don't ask me why) That was all fine and dandy - it showed perfectly normal colours. But lo and behold, I turn it the right way up, and the colours go completely strange

I'm gonna say this before some one else does :D --Turn it upside down and rotate the screen 180 degrees --- Sorry couldn't resist that :lol:

jwil1
01-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Try switching it off then on again 10 mins later.

rpgsimmaster
01-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Yeah, thanks - occurred to me right after I posted this, so I left it off over dinner, and it's back to normal...

lakewoodlady
01-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Well, if it fails again, I have a perfectly good second hand monitor you can have for $20. if you want to pick it up from Taupo Lol!

Digby
01-03-2008, 08:49 PM
I my limited experiecne of monitors over the years 1980's and 1990's when you start getting funny colours it means that one of the 3 guns in the montior is crapping out and you should start looking for a new monitor.

Also check that your graphics card (if you have one) is seated properly.

pcuser42
02-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Time to gt an LCD monitor. :D

blanco
03-03-2008, 03:16 AM
If this problem recurrs, take a look inside
your monitor to ensure that a speaker has
not come off it's mountings, especially as
you've had your monitor upside down!
Permanent magnets cause havoc with
CRT monitor screens.
Also, if it is CRT, there should be degauss
coils fed via a twin Thermistor component
called a PTC. This Circuit is energised
every time you power up and the failure
of the PTC is very common after a few
years use. I have had to replace many of
these as a TV technician. Also, check any
fuse in line with the PTC.
blanco.

Stirringaxe
03-03-2008, 09:27 AM
INHO sounds like a broken wire in the monitor cable to me, fairly commom fault on CRT monitors. Give the cable a good tweak at both ends & see if that cures it. Eventually it will get worse till you can;t use it anymore.