PDA

View Full Version : Regcure

gary67
01-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Has anyone tried this program

Regcure (http://www.regcure.com/lp/11/?uid=kkiy)

supposedly found 620 things wrong with my registry yet ccleaner says there is nothing wrong, don't want to actually run it without some input from others, it is free to register it at the moment.

I found it by accident while surfing for something totally different so thought would see what it could find

:confused:

Speedy Gonzales
01-03-2008, 02:50 PM
I wouldnt bother.

Some programs wouldnt know the diff, delete the wrong entries, you'll be installing Windows again.

feersumendjinn
01-03-2008, 03:01 PM
I'd do a malware scan if I was you, after using that (use something like Spybot).

wainuitech
01-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Seen that on many PC's - dont bother - I remove it as normally the PC is running like :yuck:

gary67
01-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the feedback I had already uninstalled anyway, just running S & D now but clean so far. It's hard to know sometimes with these programs but as usual your prompt replies are helping me to learn.

kahawai chaser
01-03-2008, 03:49 PM
I recall reading a web post that at least 3 registry cleaners should be run to ensure a full system clean out. Though CCleaner seams to be the one and all, but can't find authoritative documented evidence or comparisons yet on the effectiveness of it's registry cleaner...

wainuitech
01-03-2008, 04:50 PM
About reg cleaners - I use RegistryFix (http://www.registryfix.com/help/) read a few good reviews before trying it on workshop PC's Its not free, but When ever I run it on a customers PC there is a noticeable speed increase. ( then uninstall the program) I think from memory it lets you alter the first 50.

Usually its on XP. Just tried it on Vista found 112 - no ill effects so far.

I use this along with the one in Ccleaner.

BUT like any thing to do with the reg it pays to do a back up BEFORE doing anything - just in case.

nofam
01-03-2008, 05:00 PM
I'm a big fan of Registry Mechanic, by PC Tools - always seems to speed up PC's that I run it on, and it lets you compress the registry too, which seems to make bootup quicker.

I also have TuneUp Utilities, which has a similar Registry Cleaner component - both find things the other misses!

Bottom line, unless the reg. cleaner you're considering is from a reputable company, or has been recommended by the folks on this forum, steer clear I'd say! :)