PDA

View Full Version : Duplicates

Ron24
01-03-2008, 01:11 PM
On the last disc with the PC World there was a duplicate finder. As a regular downloader of junk,I thought it would be a good idea to find how many duplicates were in the system.
On running the programme it came up with 2500 duplicates. What I want to know is, can all these be deleted, or do I have to sort through them to find two the same and delete one of them.
One hell of a job!!
Ron...

Jen
01-03-2008, 03:27 PM
I would be very cautious in deleting "duplicates". What sort of files are they? Your own documents, music, system files ...? 2500 is a lot of duplicates to find.

jberries
01-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Yeah wouldn't delete any duplicate system files, but at some stage up might have accidently copied one directory into another in Explorer. I do that occassionally - Ctrl+z fixes that - bit thats another story.
Yes you are actually going to have to see what type of files they are.

bevy121
01-03-2008, 04:06 PM
That programe will list all duplicates sorted into groups with the largest size files at the top. (groups are named by number starting at 1)

Each group will have at least 2 files - the original and the (possible) duplicate(s) that could be removed

But dont delete any files you didnt make/download yourself

Also, I'd run ccleaner first - you'll find there will probably be a lot less "duplicates" after it clears temp files etc

Ron24
04-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Many thanks for the replies. After looking at all this lot and taking your advice, I think I will leave things as they are. It sounds a lot more complicated than I thought, when I read about it.
Regards Ron..

bevy121
04-03-2008, 01:59 PM
That could be the safer option :)