PDA

View Full Version : Xtra broadband usage meter not working

bellbird
01-03-2008, 01:44 PM
I chkd my usage via the Xtra website and found that no usage has been recorded since 19 Feb. My billing cycle ends tomorow and I want to watch some bike racing live timing today, hence the reason for chking if I was close to exceeding my 3GB plan. Forty minutes of circular discussions with two Xtra customer service people resolved nothing. Surprise surprise! Was told to ring if it appeared that I had been put on to dial up speed and they would return it to broadband, not very helpful if it happens in the middle of watching live timing. Is there a way I can check for myself within the computer system if I am on dial up speed. thanks

feersumendjinn
01-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Go here (http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml) to test your online speed.

beeswax34
01-03-2008, 01:56 PM
I suggest a usage meter that is hosted on your desktop and any other computers that you may have. Theres a great one in my signature below.

bellbird
01-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks. Test showed 2835kbps download and 113kbps upload. Next Q. If that is broadband speed, what would it be showing if it was dialup.

bevy121
01-03-2008, 02:12 PM
64kbps down

--Wolf--
01-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Well that sure as hell isn't half decent broadband, but it isn't dialup. You'd be lucky to finish that test within 20 mins on dial up, and I imagine it would be >100kpbs on dialup?

bellbird
01-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks and I'll check out the meter you've suggested Beeswax.

spaceman8815
01-03-2008, 03:01 PM
I chkd my usage via the Xtra website and found that no usage has been recorded since 19 Feb. My billing cycle ends tomorow and I want to watch some bike racing live timing today, hence the reason for chking if I was close to exceeding my 3GB plan. Forty minutes of circular discussions with two Xtra customer service people resolved nothing. Surprise surprise! Was told to ring if it appeared that I had been put on to dial up speed and they would return it to broadband, not very helpful if it happens in the middle of watching live timing. Is there a way I can check for myself within the computer system if I am on dial up speed. thanks

I think they may have stopped the usage tracking and someone i know who is on xtra dialup (limited to ~20hrs/month) rang them asking why the usage had not changed since the beginning of the month, and they said they had stopped the dailup usage tracking. I don't know whether is applies to broadband users though.

bevy121
01-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Well that sure as hell isn't half decent broadband, but it isn't dialup. You'd be lucky to finish that test within 20 mins on dial up, and I imagine it would be >100kpbs on dialup?

What on earth are you talking about?

1. 2835kbps download is certainly "half decent broadband".
Just because you get much faster speeds (according to all your posts on it), the near 3 megabit speed is the most a lot of users could hope for.

2. That speed test takes 29 seconds down and 12 seconds up to complete at 64kbps (dialup speed) - I've just tested it

Last Result:
Download Speed: 64 kbps (8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 63 kbps (7.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

3.You "imagine it would be >100kpbs on dialup"

No - dialup is 64kbps

beeswax34
01-03-2008, 11:22 PM
No - dialup is 64kbps

No, dialup is 56kpbs.

bevy121
02-03-2008, 03:15 AM
OK if you want to be picky (as you usualy are) - If you're talking about "being slowed down to dialup speed" on broadband, it's being cut to 64k - otherwise if you are actualy on dialup you have a 56k modem which on the best of days with the best of connections would be connected at 48 - 52 kbps MAX

Sweep
02-03-2008, 03:37 AM
OK if you want to be picky (as you usualy are) - If you're talking about "being slowed down to dialup speed" on broadband, it's being cut to 64k - otherwise if you are actualy on dialup you have a 56k modem which on the best of days with the best of connections would be connected at 48 - 52 kbps MAX

Very true. My dial up external modem usually connected with Xtra at 49.333
I still have it here and I might turn that into an answer machine.

bellbird
03-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Telecom have replied asking me to "provide as much info as to what happens with the fault". I don't know, all I can see is that the usage meter isn't recording usage.

They want "helpful screenshots". I don't know how to do screenshots or what would be helpful ones.

Apparently they can see from their end that usage isn't being recorded. I'm not sure about what (if anything) to do as in the past I had a problem with emails and was told by Telecom that the problem was my computer and to get a tech which fortunately I didn't do immediately because by the next day everything was ok and I learned it was a widespread technical problem at their end. As I am now into a new billing cycle and don't have any large downloads planned maybe I should just forget it until the last few days.

bellbird
19-04-2008, 01:36 AM
I emailed Xtra a few days ago and said I still had the problem and they emailed back to say the had looked into the matter and found that it was an internal problem which they've identified and they would fix it. Wonder why they couldn't identify the problem weeks ago. Anyway the usage meter is working now.

Blam
19-04-2008, 11:58 AM
If you get tired of Xtra's stupidity you can always change ISP's like I did! :)

R2x1
19-04-2008, 10:58 PM
You are all talking about dial up on a good day, 47 kbps in town is pretty fair dial up for many; but out of town, sandwiches and a reliable calendar are required for speed tests. ;)

j19000
19-08-2008, 07:36 PM
I experienced the same thing a couple months back when I was on the "Explorer" plan, before upgrading to "Pro" (6700Kbps/596Kbps) bypassing the "Adventure".

That "half-decent" download speed from that other post sounds like the "Adventure" plan and below speeds. Abandon Telecom, and go elsewhere (Not Slingshot or Vodafone though) unless you want the good speeds and in which "Pro" and above will do that from Telecom, but it's damn expensive. If anyone abandons Xtra for the same purpose, make sure you choose the right provider the second time around, I only see Telecom good for the Pro plans and up, because of the excellent speeds.

But yes, pathetic service when I cannot check my usage because the damn website encounters those problems; Deja Vu.
I'm on one of those Pay extra over the limit plans so I have to see what I use. Hope it never happens again.

beeswax34
19-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Oh God, he's back.

j19000
19-08-2008, 10:30 PM
I sure am, but this time, without any interruptions.

Poppa John
19-08-2008, 10:38 PM

ER, who were you before? PJ :confused:

j19000
19-08-2008, 11:22 PM

j19000
20-08-2008, 06:59 AM

Whoops, that was a duplicate post, anyway. I can't believe beeswax34 still thinks I'm a member of the Telecom staff, OR in the most likely scenario - he knows I'm not but is deliberately trying to put me down.

wratterus
20-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Mate you're a cocktoss, and obviously spamming.

And FTR, the broadband I'm using at the moment (definitely not mine) is with Xtra, and the Usage Meter has been broken for as long as I can remember, and many many calls to Xtra has yielded no result whatsoever, they are completely flummoxed.

Useless.

PaulD
20-08-2008, 11:15 AM
And FTR, the broadband I'm using at the moment (definitely not mine) is with Xtra, and the Usage Meter has been broken for as long as I can remember, and many many calls to Xtra has yielded no result whatsoever, they are completely flummoxed.

So this account has no usage charges or cap or does the meter work for them but not you?

FTR I set up TUC to track my Xtra usage and it's never failed to get a result.

wratterus
20-08-2008, 11:23 AM
So this account has no usage charges or cap or does the meter work for them but not you?

Nobody knows what plan we're on, and it doesn't seem to show up on any of the bills. I haven't bothered to ask Xtra.

Meter doesn't work for them, but they don't seem to be able to fix it. :confused:

FTR I set up TUC to track my Xtra usage and it's never failed to get a result.

TUC? :blush:

PaulD
20-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Nobody knows what plan we're on, and it doesn't seem to show up on any of the bills. I haven't bothered to ask Xtra.

Meter doesn't work for them, but they don't seem to be able to fix it. :confused:

TUC? :blush:

Traffic Usage Checker http://tuc.swaziboy.com/

If putting your user name and password (assuming you know that) in doesn't work why complain if you don't appear to be paying? Sounds like the perfect plan.

wratterus
20-08-2008, 11:40 AM

If putting your user name and password (assuming you know that) in doesn't work why complain if you don't appear to be paying? Sounds like the perfect plan.

Thanks for the link, I do know what the UN and PW are thankfully, will try that when I get home.

It's being payed for, I'm just not paying the bill. :punk

I meant the plan etc doesn't snow up on the bill.

j19000
20-08-2008, 09:13 PM

Oh my god! That's one to surely never forget, shocking. :eek: