PDA

View Full Version : Windows Services - Latest PCW Tip

Winston001
29-02-2008, 09:52 PM
I don't have my copy of PCW with me and there was a tip about stopping processes - but I don't know the website - Paul or Phil...? I've used Black Vipers lst ages ago but thought I'd check this out since my lappie is playing up - full cpu usage, won't close down.

Speedy Gonzales
29-02-2008, 09:56 PM
I would be careful, with disabling some of those services, listed on that site.

I killed some, a while ago, and I couldnt network properly.

Winston001
29-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks Speedy but I don't even know the site to get started.

All I want to do is find out whats using the processor and stopping it from logging off.

Jen
29-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Doesn't the Task Manager show you that?

wainuitech
29-02-2008, 10:44 PM
If you go into task manager you can kill under the Processes Tab - some items will stop ( after a warning) and you wont notice any difference until you try something and it no longer works, some come up with a message saying it cant be stopped as its a critical service needed for windows ( words to that effect) and wont let you.

Others you can stop and POW - System goes silly or crashes - OOPS! don't touch that again, of course they all restart on next boot.

Winston001
29-02-2008, 10:49 PM
The three finger salute? Yessss....sort of. System - bounces between 50 - 80% cpu - not much help, thats the problem. Other processes almost nil. Just opened OE6 and System got really excited....groan.

Pagefile 536mb which suggests 512 RAM isn't cutting it. Got Opera open with 23 tabs but most inactive.

Suggestions?

Winston001
29-02-2008, 10:51 PM
OK - I'll kill System - see ya later........... :D

HAH - it ignored me! Who's the boss here??

sal
29-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Just to clear confusion, Black Viper's site (http://www.blackviper.com/) deals with Services which aren't the same as processes. When using the Task Manager (I think only in Vista) there's both a processes tab (as usual) and a services tab.

If you're talking strictly about processes, a freeware program that done the rounds recently is Process Lasso (http://www.bitsum.com/prolasso.php) which you can use to manage process priority better. I gave it a quick whirl but it didn't suit my needs although seemed like a nice enough app.

Erayd
29-02-2008, 11:02 PM
The HijackThis process manager is awesome - guaranteed to kill any evildoer with just a click. And it does it *now*, not after waiting for windows to think. And you don't get access denied on processes.

Sal, services are processes - they're just persistent ones. Commonly called daemons in a unix-type environment.

sal
29-02-2008, 11:04 PM
I know, but there's still a separation there.

Winston001
29-02-2008, 11:11 PM
Yes I was thinking of Hijackthis next, but in truth wouldn't know what to kill. I'll give Sals suggestion a run, then maybe HJT and post a log.

mikebartnz
01-03-2008, 02:41 AM
Thanks Speedy but I don't even know the site to get started.

All I want to do is find out whats using the processor and stopping it from logging off.
Try ProcessExplorer it is ten times better than TaskManager which wouldn't take much.

Winston001
01-03-2008, 02:53 AM
Ok, Process Lassoo tells me that "System" is unknown which sounds suspicious but.....

It also says that swdsvc.exe is trying to use too much CPU power now and then. Can't find anything helpful at all about this. Ideas?

Sweep
01-03-2008, 07:32 AM
Try here:-

http://www.file.net/process/swdsvc.exe.html

HTH

Winston001
01-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Cheers Sweep, diagnosed that. Spyware Doctor process which is correct and was running at the time. One down, many to go...... :badpc: