PDA

View Full Version : Windows Defender - worth it?

FoxyMX
29-02-2008, 11:51 AM
I've got a couple of Vista Home Basic PCs here, both with just 512MB RAM which I will advise the owners to increase, that I am trying to speed up.

Is Windows Defender worth leaving on or is it a resource hog best removed and replaced with non-Microsoft alternatives?

wratterus
29-02-2008, 11:59 AM
In a word - NO.

It's not worth it, if your trying to speed a PC up. It is a bit of a system hog.

nofam
29-02-2008, 12:03 PM
I'd get rid of it - I don't really know if it's a resource hog, but that's secondary to the fact that it's detection/removal rates are very average at best.

Get your self a decent 3rd Party app like Spyware Doctor, or (gasp!) Norton Internet Security 2008.

Both are really good, and NIS isn't even that bloaty anymore. . . (there's a statement I never thought I'd make!!) :D

HTH

FoxyMX
29-02-2008, 12:11 PM
You've made my day. :p

Gah! Just discovered that it can't actually be removed from Vista, you can only disable it. :mad: :badpc:

wratterus
29-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Gah! Just discovered that it can't actually be removed from Vista, you can only disable it. :mad: :badpc:

yip... :yuck:

:lol:

drcspy
29-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Get your self a decent 3rd Party app like Spyware Doctor, or (gasp!) Norton Internet Security 2008.

why would any sensible person waste good money on NIS ?......

nofam
29-02-2008, 12:43 PM
why would any sensible person waste good money on NIS ?......

Because it would seem that that Symantec have actually listened to people telling them their software was bloatware, and have done something about it.

The lastest PC World rates it ahead of Kaspersky And Bit Defender I believe - and most reviews I read are pretty positive. You also get 3 licenses when you purchase it, which makes it pretty good value IMHO

I must confess I haven't actually used it myself though! :p

wratterus
29-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Right. Use it. It's slightly better than 06 and 07, but not much. It's still dysfunctional, and bloated, and is lousy at getting rid of viruses.

FoxyMX
29-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Because it would seem that that Symantec have actually listened to people telling them their software was bloatware, and have done something about it.

I'm not too sure about that. These two PCs are similar in specs except one is a laptop and the other a desktop. The laptop has NIS and takes forever to boot up and is slower at tasks than the currently AV-free desktop. It will no doubt slow down a tad once Avast has been put on but I'm sure it won't be as slow to boot up.

If I had my way I would ditch NIS as well but the owner still has 10 months to go on her subscription. :(

nofam
29-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Right. Use it. It's slightly better than 06 and 07, but not much. It's still dysfunctional, and bloated, and is lousy at getting rid of viruses.

Fair enough - but how is it that you can get glowing reviews for apps like this one http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2180639,00.asp

and then guys like yourself Wratterus (who's opinion I respect a lot! :) ) say it's rubbish??

Seems to happen a lot with Anti-virus apps??? :confused:

wratterus
29-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Fair enough - but how is it that you can get glowing reviews for apps like this one http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2180639,00.asp

and then guys like yourself Wratterus (who's opinion I respect a lot! :) ) say it's rubbish??

Seems to happen a lot with Anti-virus apps??? :confused:

:blush: :lol:

I don't understand it either..its almost as if some AV companies pay reviewers, I don't trust AV reviews at all anymore. Nortons has got good reviews for years, McAffee has too. They are both more bloated than a dead cow, and tend to not do a very good job at removing threats. It's possible the reviewers use a supercomputer with a brand new install of Windows and no other software installed to test nortons, but who would know.

Sorry I don't have a real answer for you there mate. :o

Guess it just comes down to what you're willing to try, or pay good money for, and what works for you. Trev (http://pressf1.co.nz/member.php?u=10437) runs Nortons and swears by it, he gets constant (good natured) ribbing from me and several other users about it too...

I'd still far rather run AVG Free or Avast and other free apps (Spyware doctor etc) than go anywhere near Nortons or McAffee, and probably a few others too.

Eset products in my book kick some serious (anti)virus ass.

jason_f90
29-02-2008, 01:14 PM
We don't all work at huge companies like Symantec and get a Core 2 duo machine with 4gb of RAM to work or play with.

That's one of the worst reviews I've seen, EVER. They didn't even make any mention what a bloated, memory hogging POS it is. They gave it 4.5/5 but only 2/5 from the user reviews. I'm sure you know why.

My mates laptop came with a free trial of NIS too and one of the first things he asked me was how to remove the bloody thing!

Imho, the threat of viruses and spyware is greatly exaggerated these days. I've been using Avast for the past 2 years and I've never had some popup like "MuHAHA i R 1337 H@x00r j0oR PC n0W M1n3" come up. I think common sense > military grade protection, any day.

pctek
29-02-2008, 02:05 PM
but how is it that you can get glowing reviews for apps like this one http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2180639,00.asp

and then guys like yourself Wratterus say it's rubbish??

I've always wondered that too. Like our own PCWorlds AV test this month.

My "tests" are based on the PCs that come in stuffed full of all sorts of malware, Nortons sitting there saying all is well, and then I clean it out with other products.

I test new products the same way.
Run a scan with a few things but don't clean, note whats found, then try the new one to see how many it finds.

I suspect mags just have a few handy files lying about and they test only with those.

And in any case its not Nortons only problem, which mags never test for.........

nofam
29-02-2008, 02:41 PM
I've always wondered that too. Like our own PCWorlds AV test this month.

My "tests" are based on the PCs that come in stuffed full of all sorts of malware, Nortons sitting there saying all is well, and then I clean it out with other products.

I test new products the same way.
Run a scan with a few things but don't clean, note whats found, then try the new one to see how many it finds.

I suspect mags just have a few handy files lying about and they test only with those.

And in any case its not Nortons only problem, which mags never test for.........

Looks like I stand well and truly corrected on NIS 2008 - thanks guys!! I think it may be time to stop reading mag reviews! :D

At any rate, I use Kaspersky IS 7.0 and I love it - super-quick product updates, low system footprint, and really good detection rates. . . .probably should've just recommended that!! :o

wratterus
29-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Looks like I stand well and truly corrected on NIS 2008 - thanks guys!! I think it may be time to stop reading mag reviews! :D

At any rate, I use Kaspersky IS 7.0 and I love it - super-quick product updates, low system footprint, and really good detection rates. . . .probably should've just recommended that!! :o

I have heard good things about Kaspersky. Never used it though, might have to give it a quick go.

nofam
29-02-2008, 03:03 PM
I have heard good things about Kaspersky. Never used it though, might have to give it a quick go.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the makers of Kaspersky used to be part of a Russian Hacking/Virus designing syndicate!! :D

I guess that would give you a few pointers on how to come up with effective removal techniques!!;)

It's interesting that Kaspersky is Russian, Softwin (makers of BitDefender) are from Romania, and Eset are from Slovakia. . . .go Eastern Bloc countries!!!

pctek
29-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Yeah I've recommended Kapersky to people, although I don't think anyone ever asked on here.

wratterus
29-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Eastern Europe FTW!

But yeah, being in the Virus Making business would definitely help with designing software to remove viruses. :lol: