PDA

View Full Version : d drive not accessible!

hm393
28-02-2008, 07:15 AM
i got virus in my computer so i had to reinstall windows with the recovery disks. My computer is working fine after the reinstallation but when i open my computer and click drive d...the error comes D: is not accessible.......access denied.
the drive c is working fine.
all the data in drive d: is still there as i checked the volume and it was same as before and i also tried changing some ownerships options which lead me through all the folder i have in d as it was changing the ownership of all the folders...
how do i make my drive D accessible?

darroll
28-02-2008, 07:44 AM
I looks like the virus blew it away.
You will probably have to reformat the drive... But... Then you loose your data.
You might try and look at your hard drive with another computer. This could spread the virus, be careful. darroll

FoxyMX
28-02-2008, 07:55 AM
I looks like the virus blew it away.

Not necessarily.

Not sure what you mean by "changing some ownerships options" but taking complete ownership may solve your problem. Do a search of this forum, it has been mentioned many times.

pctek
28-02-2008, 08:17 AM
i got virus in my computer so i had to reinstall windows

Um, no you didn't. Fixing the malware problem is what I do.

hm393
28-02-2008, 10:03 AM
i can see everything on d drive when i open command promt and i was able to copy few folders...it means my drive is not damage there is some option which is preventing me to access. And in vista you can change the ownership of the drive by going to the properties. i don,t how i am suppose to make it accesible and i am sure its not damage just cant figure out where to go and change the option as in security and ownership.

hm393
28-02-2008, 10:32 AM
how do i take complete ownership? so that i can acces my d drive....

Speedy Gonzales
28-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421)

Did D have the original version of Windows on it??

And you reinstalled on C?

Is C and D separate hard drives, or different partitions on 1 hard drive?

If theyre different hdd's, did you jumper them properly?

hm393
28-02-2008, 11:31 AM
the orignal windows was on C drive and i reinstalled on C again....
C and D are two partitions of my hard drive.!!!
i can see all files on ms dos D is working f9 but i cant access from my computer...i was able to copy few folders from d but the rest cannot be access.

Speedy Gonzales
28-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Try the link I posted

hm393
28-02-2008, 12:55 PM
thanks evry1 for helping i sorted out my drive. from safe made i copied all of the data in c as it was accessible in safe mode and i formated the d drive in normal mode and its working fine now,