PDA

View Full Version : TV Tuner Card buying & performance hint

prayami
28-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Hi,

I have never used TV tuner card before. I can see, there are varieties of TV tuner card available in computer shops starting from around $65 to $200.

But I don't have any idea, what should I look for to buy TV tuner card?
My intension is to view online program running in PC to the TV screen.

It will be also good, if anybody can advice what are the system requirements on PC side for reasonable performance.
As per I know, there must be good graphics but again what is good? which
specification or minimum requirements we should look for?
Assuming the processor is Dual Core and frequency is at around 1.8GHz and 2GB RAM.

Please also let me know any other things required to consider.

Thanks,

CYaBro
28-02-2008, 08:03 AM
It depends on what you are wanting to watch/record.

There are TV cards that accept a standard analogue signal from a normal VHF and/or UHF aerial. This would allow you to watch/record the free-to-air channels. These will also take an input from a VCR or Sky decoder via RCA or s-video inputs.
There are TV cards that accept a digital signal from a sattelite (DVB-S) and this allows you to watch/record Freeview.
There are TV cards that accept a digital signal from a UHF aerial (DVB-T) and this allows you to watch/record Freeview, when & if it will be available in your region.

Then there are hybrid cards that can do a combination of any of the above.

What do you mean when you say 'view online programs'?

The specs you quoted would be fine for TV watching/recording.
The graphics card doesn't matter too much. What would matter more is the type of outputs on the graphics card like HDMI/DVI/VGA/S-Video.
My Media PC I use here only has onboard graphics but has HDMI output for the LCD TV.

prayami
28-02-2008, 08:55 AM
What do you mean when you say 'view online programs'?

Means view Online Cricket or any sport or serial from the internet to TV Screen.

Thanks,

CYaBro
28-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Means view Online Cricket or any sport or serial from the internet to TV Screen.

Thanks,

Oh well you won't need a TV Tuner card to do that.
Just need a graphics card with some sort of TV output on it to match the input on the TV you want to connect the PC to.

Speedy Gonzales
28-02-2008, 08:58 AM
If youre going to watch it from the internet, you wont / dont need a tuner

All you'll need is a good connection / broadband. So, it doesnt stop and start.

jberries
28-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Yes, if you are only watching internet streams, then you only need a graphics card that outputs to the TV. This will be driven by the inputs you have in the back of your TV. Such as
Composite (Red-White-Yellow)
S-Video (circular input, like a PS/2 soctket)
Component (Red-Green-Blue inputs)
HDMI....more

prayami
28-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Thats great, I got that TV out put in my computer. But I didn't realize that.

Thank you all of you,