PDA

View Full Version : XP/Vista Networking Problems

PaulBNZ
27-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Hey guys,
Recently my family installed a home wireless network with a wireless router running through our ADSL modem and hardwired to our desktop running XP.
A mate of mine got my sister's laptop (XP powered) running no sweat. The laptop can get on the web, swap files and share printers with the desktop.
However, when it comes to my mother's laptop which runs Vista we're not getting full functionality. The Vista laptop will access the web but won't share files or printers. They just don't show up on the network locations.
Now, I don't know much about networks at all; but can anyone think of something that is perhaps obvious that would cause this scenario to happen?
Cheers,
Paul

Speedy Gonzales
27-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Whats the printer connected to? An XP or Vista PC?

If the printer is on a Vista PC, disable UAC

Install this (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4f01a31d-ee46-481e-ba11-37f485fa34ea&DisplayLang=en)

On the XP PC's.

CYaBro
27-02-2008, 11:38 PM
I haven't got a Vista machine in front of me at the moment...
You need to open the Network & Sharing Center window and make sure Network Discovery is turned on.
Turn on File & Public folder sharing as well if you want to be able to access the Vista machine from the others on the network.

PaulBNZ
28-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Cheers guys. Just double checked the settings on the Vista machine which all seem in order. I will give that app a go on the XP machines, and let you know how that goes.
Speedy Gonzales; the printer is connected to our XP desktop.

Speedy Gonzales
28-02-2008, 09:59 AM
Go to printers and faxes in control panel

Highlight the printer / properties / sharing tab.

Click on share this printer.

Then all you have to do, is go to printer / whatever Vista has, and look for the printer.

And if any firewalls are installed (besides the default Windows firewalls, these may have to be configured as well).

wainuitech
28-02-2008, 01:59 PM
I haven't got a Vista machine in front of me at the moment...
You need to open the Network & Sharing Center window and make sure Network Discovery is turned on.
Turn on File & Public folder sharing as well if you want to be able to access the Vista machine from the others on the network.

Just adding to the above - Make sure also that the PC's are all on the same workgroup, other wise there may be problems. Also under network sharing make sure password protect is disabled other wise it bugs you every time.

Now to folder sharing - With Vista to get it to share easy its a two step process, I have a full instruction list with pictures on my dead server :groan: But I need to fix that SO the next best thing is I also have a few videos I have created on "how to" do certain things on Vista.

One is folder sharing.

If you want to Download a Video (http://dl5u.savefile.com/9723b34a6243aa4e10202e804644ec2a/Sharing_a_Folder_In_Vista.avi) on how to share folders the easy way, click that link. Its 7.4 Mb, its a bit blurry, and no audio. But easy to follow. You will see a new folder made, shared 1st, not showing in Network Places, then made to share, and finally actually showing and available.
The XP PC's may need a reboot to see the shares, but they shouldn't have any problems after this.

The original is Cristal clear with me giving verbal instructions, but they are to big to download - I need someplace to stream them from. ( free of course) The video above was done rather quickly, normally I'd go slower than that, but to save size it was done quicker.

beeswax34
28-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Just adding to the above - Make sure also that the PC's are all on the same workgroup, other wise there may be problems. Also under network sharing make sure password protect is disabled other wise it bugs you every time.

Now to folder sharing - With Vista to get it to share easy its a two step process, I have a full instruction list with pictures on my dead server :groan: But I need to fix that SO the next best thing is I also have a few videos I have created on "how to" do certain things on Vista.

One is folder sharing.

If you want to Download a Video (http://dl5u.savefile.com/9723b34a6243aa4e10202e804644ec2a/Sharing_a_Folder_In_Vista.avi) on how to share folders the easy way, click that link. Its 7.4 Mb, its a bit blurry, and no audio. But easy to follow. You will see a new folder made, shared 1st, not showing in Network Places, then made to share, and finally actually showing and available.
The XP PC's may need a reboot to see the shares, but they shouldn't have any problems after this.

The original is Cristal clear with me giving verbal instructions, but they are to big to download - I need someplace to stream them from. ( free of course) The video above was done rather quickly, normally I'd go slower than that, but to save size it was done quicker.

Put them on Youtube or Dailymotion? Or see if Dannz has badnwidth available and stream it from there perhaps...

wainuitech
28-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Thanks beeswax - I'll look into that. :thumbs:

NOTE: if anyone wants the video above and the link above is coming back as invalid click Here (http://dl5u.savefile.com/9723b34a6243aa4e10202e804644ec2a/Sharing_a_Folder_In_Vista.avi) for some reason the original Link only works sometimes. maybe there site is having problems.

wainuitech
29-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Here also (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx) is alink to MS that shows you what I put in the video above, thats if you want to print it out.