PDA

View Full Version : Is leaving it on OK??

RusEvo
27-02-2008, 08:01 PM
OK Im going away for ten days & I will not have access ot a TV.

I want to leave my computer on for the ten days so that I can PVR all my favorite shows etc (how could I miss House & Prison Break lol).

Is there any issue with leaving on the PC and a TV program running for that amount of time??

I can set it to turn off automatically using the PVR, but I know of no way for it to turn back on as it is needed?

What would the power consumption be on that??

Any thoughts or wisdom?

Speedy Gonzales
27-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Cant see anything wrong with that. Just turn the monitor off

qazwsxokmijn
27-02-2008, 08:23 PM
No problem. Back when my big brother was still living here (thankfully not anymore) my computer was left on basically 24/7 45 weeks a year.

If you have a power hungry video card, just downclock it to a very low frequency. I always leave my 8800GTS downclocked when not used for gaming.

wainuitech
27-02-2008, 08:23 PM
LOTS of people leave PC's , Servers etc on 24 /7 with no problems.

I personally have 2 servers in the workshop that have not been turned off for close to a year, apart from 1 that I went to upgrade on the weekend.

Did a power test one once ,leaving the workshop PC's on for a month (over Night), then then looking back over previous power Bills the difference was so slight it was not worth worrying about.

Taking a couple of extra long showers / baths will suck up more power.

CYaBro
27-02-2008, 08:32 PM
My TV Server runs 24/7 and has been for about 6-7 months now.
Just needs a restart every now and then.

Myth
27-02-2008, 10:06 PM
I have a media server that has been up now for over 40 days (not bad for an old Presario :p)

This computer (once I finish ironing out problems) will also be left on

Just turn the monitor off :)

RusEvo
27-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the reassurance.

Ive got a cooler running dual core and my 8600GT doesnt even need a fan.

I guess it would be smart to leave the side panel off and give some space to the thing.

Oh and I suppose I will have to make sure it isnt going to power off.

Just something in me worries about leaving on an appliance for a week and a half!!!!!! No one to keep an eye on it etc.

CYaBro
27-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Oh and I suppose I will have to make sure it isnt going to power off.

There should be an option in the BIOS under Power Management to set the Power Failure option (or similar) to Power On if there is a power cut.
It is usually set to Stay Off.

RusEvo
27-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Oh that sounds handy.

I just went through and punched in 12 shows.

Filling up the old rainy day inventory of good shows.

5 of the 10 days I will be without television........I havent gone that long...perhaps EVER......new experiences:D

RusEvo
27-02-2008, 11:09 PM
One last question:

Should I set power management turn the hard disks off between tv shows (when the PC will be on but doing nothing)?? ie When its time to record is it able to restart the disks or will that only happen when a person taps the keyboard or something??

Deathwish
27-02-2008, 11:31 PM
Yeah, it's fine for the computer, as long as there is sufficient cooling (depends on your setup). The modern computer is the type of thing that is more likely to shut it self down before it can get too hot to cause a fire or anything if thats what you're worried about. And definately, if you've got an overclocked proc./gpu, remember to put them back to original settings, or downclock, if you're going to leave it on for a while. When I used to leave my computer on for a long time, I noticed durastic rises in temperature after about 10 days, and taking my proc back down to 2.8 from 3.2~3.4 definately helped (its a hot old pentium d).

CYaBro
27-02-2008, 11:33 PM
One last question:

Should I set power management turn the hard disks off between tv shows (when the PC will be on but doing nothing)?? ie When its time to record is it able to restart the disks or will that only happen when a person taps the keyboard or something??

Yes good idea to do that too. No point having the hard drives running if nothing is happening.
They will spin up again automatically when it is time to record or when needed for something else.

Ninjabear
28-02-2008, 07:23 AM
I actually haven't turned my computer off at my hostel for um like a year and a half.lol

It's a good feeing that when I wake up emails are waiting for me to read .lol.I feel special

wratterus
28-02-2008, 04:57 PM
I guess it would be smart to leave the side panel off and give some space to the thing.

Theres not gonna be a cat in your house at all is there?? Don't really want various animals crawling in there... :lol:

I personally would downclock everything and leave the side of the case on. Double check the auto-shutdown temps are set up in the BIOS.

Agent_24
28-02-2008, 07:37 PM
It's a good stress test for your PC if anything - you'll know it's good if it's still going fine when you come back

I was running an old P2 for about 3 days doing torrents, never noticed any problems before that, but I woke up on the 2nd day to find BSOD because one of the ram sticks had died.

Replaced that, never had a problem since

mikebartnz
28-02-2008, 09:19 PM
I guess it would be smart to leave the side panel off and give some space to the thing..
Not usually a good idea as it can actually interfere with the proper airflow.
Have you thought of using the bios to have the pc turn on when you require it and then have the program scheduled to start as well.