PDA

View Full Version : "Read Error" when I Benchmark HDD.

gza
26-02-2008, 10:26 PM
I mentioned these two HDD's in a thread (" HDD's not detected in BIOS. Knackered or...) but have a question on the one that did eventually show, an 80GB Seagate Barracuda, ST380011A. (ATA IDE)
I did a check on this drive using " HD Tune 2.55". When I try to 'Benchmark' test it I get a 'Read error' notice and no info, of course. What is the reason for this to be happening?
'Error Scan' shows only one 30MB square in the complete grid as being damaged, this isn't really an issue, I guess.
'Health' shows 67% Performance, Reliability & Error Resistance. No need for concern, it informs me.(using HD Inspector Pro)
'Temperature' @ 100*F
My wonder is in the 'Read Error' in Benchmark.

Just to chuck this in as well though I guess the drive's stuffed, a 120GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 (ATA IDE).No show in BIOS, & no spin up. Gets rather warm at the power input area. Shorted out? Apparently it somehow had a meeting with a drop of beer, while it was receiving electrical juice. Not a good mix. Methinx that it's well dead but won't go cold. No need to reply to this query. I'll do my first HDD autopsy. :)

Any info on the Benchmark query welcome.
cheers

gza
26-02-2008, 10:52 PM
ps. The drive is to be used as a slave unit, but I installed WXP Pro+SP2 & some programs and have run it for two days to see haw it performed. Seems to be smooth enough. Read Error messages in benchmark can indicate deterioration of the drive I believe, hence the 67% health report.
Opinions welcome as said. ta