PDA

View Full Version : BIOS Errors

Espresso_Addict
25-02-2008, 08:19 AM
My computer has suddenly decised to stop at irregular intervals rangeing from seconds after power on, up to 30 minutes or so.

The only way to restart it is to disconnect the power supply, wait till all the lights on the MoBo have gone out, connect pwer and re boot.
Atthis point it automaticly enters the BIOS and warns that the system hung for an incorrect cpu speed, or incorrect clock speed or an incorrect combination of these.

Eash time I check the setting and they are all correct.

Any suggestions as to what may be causing this to happen.
Ihave replaced the cmos battery but haven't flashed the BIOS

Cheers

Grant

Speedy Gonzales
25-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Go into the BIOS, set it to its default settings. Then reconfigure the BIOS.

Then save the settings then reboot

Espresso_Addict
25-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Cheers Speedy

Speedy Gonzales
25-02-2008, 08:29 AM
Does the system / mobo support the CPU thats on it??

Whats the mobo ?? And whats the version of the BIOS on it?

drcspy
25-02-2008, 02:16 PM
motherboard or powersupply fault

Espresso_Addict
25-02-2008, 07:00 PM
MoBo is an Asus P4PE

Its been running sweetly for 5 yrs with this cpu so its not that

I still have the original BIOS ver1001 as I read on the Asus site to leave it alone unless you are having errors

I'm starting to think along the lines of intermittant power failure too...

Bloody thing runs great for hours on end one day and stops every 5 minutes the next...........

Espresso_Addict
25-02-2008, 07:01 PM
I have reset all the MoBo defaults and adjusted only those that need it.

Still stops when it feels like it

drcspy
25-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Its been running sweetly for 5 yrs with this cpu so its not that

hate to tell you this but machines DO fail........even if they have been 'running sweetly for 5 years'.....in fact that's an old mobo now and a 5 year history of 'sweet running' is NO guarantee that it's not reached it's useby date.....in fact consumer electronics are designed to last 5 years.........have you actually LOOKED at it to see if theres any blown capacitors......? have a look into the powersupply unit to look for them also as they DO fail .........

Speedy Gonzales
25-02-2008, 08:40 PM
I would update the BIOS (In DOS)

As 1002 fixes this as well, if it hasnt happened yet.

Add check and correct code to patch Broadcom Lan Chip EEPROM first byte be destroyed issue after AC power lost

The BIOS is now up to 1007.

And according to the ASUS site (http://support.asus.com/download/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us) most are for new CPU's.

Type in P4PE top left-hand corner

Graham L
26-02-2008, 10:58 AM
I would NOT update the BIOS.

There is an unresolved hardware problem which causes the computer to halt. A halt in the middle of a BIOS update can make it totally unusable. That would certainly "fix" the problem, permanently. ;)

Speedy Gonzales
26-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Replace the mobo then, have fun trying to find another one

Dont know where you are, but if you're in Auckland somewhere, a shop in Newmarket, still deals with 478 pin mobos

Agent_24
26-02-2008, 02:23 PM
The old Asus boards are pretty useless at determining what caused a hang, it just defaults to telling you that "something was clocked incorrectly" - and like you said, using the same CPU for 5 years that isn't the problem - same with the BIOS

Something will have gone faulty from age - or perhaps dust. 5 years is a long time if you've never cleaned the inside of your computer (I can get mine terribly dusty in less than a year!)

Check the motherboard for leaking capacitors too, could be a loose power connection or faulty RAM. have you tried running memtest?

What brand is your PSU? some cheap thing like Hyena would be leaking caps after 5 years guaranteed, could be causing voltage instability and causing the hanging