PDA

View Full Version : Desparate to use my PC

Mark One
24-02-2008, 06:41 PM
I have an interesting (and seemingly intelligent) bug/vitus of some sort.

Dell 640m Vists Home Premium.

Symptoms
I lose control of scroll bars which appear to go into repeat mode and also down or up arrow keys sometimes don't work (EG: they move the field and then automatically go back to the top). The only was I seem to be able to change this (albeit only for seconds) is to go into Regional Settings and reset language to English (New Zealannd) because it keeps defaulting to Aafrikaans even though it often shows english.

I have a number of virus checkers active including Norton, Avast, Spybot and Bit Defender but they all show no issue.

Any help gratefully received

Renmoo
24-02-2008, 07:03 PM
1) Check that "scroll lock" has not been enabled (not sure if this step is relevant)
2) Does the weird issue still occur in safe mode? (Is there even such thing in Vista?)

Cheers :)

wainuitech
24-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Welcome to Press F1 Mark.

For starters lose some of the Antivirus programs, having Nortons & avast & Bit Defender is making your system more open to attack, not 3 times safer.

If you want the free one use Avast. Dump Nortons at least.

Download Spyware Doc from my sig, update it and run, update Spybot and do the same. Download HijackThis (http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html) Save it to a folder on your desktop, run it and select Save a Log, copy/paste the complete log back here, someone will look at it and advice you.

Mark One
24-02-2008, 07:43 PM
1) Check that "scroll lock" has not been enabled (not sure if this step is relevant)
2) Does the weird issue still occur in safe mode? (Is there even such thing in Vista?)

Cheers :) Thanks for the reply. Still occurs in safe mode. Scroll Lock not on.

Mark One
24-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Welcome to Press F1 Mark.

For starters lose some of the Antivirus programs, having Nortons & avast & Bit Defender is making your system more open to attack, not 3 times safer.

If you want the free one use Avast. Dump Nortons at least.

Download Spyware Doc from my sig, update it and run, update Spybot and do the same. Download HijackThis (http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html) Save it to a folder on your desktop, run it and select Save a Log, copy/paste the complete log back here, someone will look at it and advice you.

Thanks - will do. I have latest version of norton and use it's backup etc.

drcspy
25-02-2008, 02:18 PM
run a ram check program

Trev
25-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Thanks - will do. I have latest version of norton and use it's backup etc.
I run Nortons AV 2008 with no problems. Ditch the others and just use that.
:)