PDA

View Full Version : System Configuration

aidanmaz
24-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Hi
I was called to llok at my friends computer as it was working perfect yesterday and now it is't. Its a Compaq Presario SR1600AN, it goes through the normal boot process with the win XP boot screen, then an hour glass appears, and an error box pops up with the title of:
"System Configuration Error"
In the box it says
"Your system has detected a configuration error. Please report this error to Customer Care using the phone number found on the Warranty and Support Guide that came with your PC. Unless corrected, this error will prevent your PC from starting properly. Turn off your PC by pressing and holding the power button. After a few seconds your PC will automatically turn off (Code Purple)"

I tried restarting the pc and pholding f8 down and using last known good configuration, but that doesnt work. Booting into safe mode gives me an error saying the system has not been setup. As its an OEM machine there isnt any recovery CDS as its a partition (i assume) On the bios screen it gives me an option of xpress recovery by pressing f9, which i do and it says there are no HPA drives avaible to boot from. Any ideas how to get the pc back to normal without losing any data (as my friend isn't PC smart so doesnt make any backups.

Cheers

Jen
24-02-2008, 05:06 PM
A google search for "compaq code purple" reveals some interesting info. Your friend didn't try to update the BIOS or anything?

You should be able to remove the hard drive and slave it to another PC to back up his data.

aidanmaz
24-02-2008, 05:12 PM
A google search for "compaq code purple" reveals some interesting info. Your friend didn't try to update the BIOS or anything?

You should be able to remove the hard drive and slave it to another PC to back up his data.

No offense to my friend but he can barely burn a CD, so no, he hasnt tried to upgrade the bios (nor do i even try that myself) it really weird. I know i can rip the hard drive out, but i think id like he would like to keep the PC the same. recovery would be the best idea.

zcc
24-02-2008, 07:15 PM
yet another reason not to buy compaq/hp products, BIOS from hell.

aidanmaz
24-02-2008, 07:20 PM
haha yes.....i prefer to stickto home built machines.....so much less hassle. how the hell do u get the hdd out, as its one of those cases where only one side is unscrewable

wainuitech
24-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Awhhh The old Code Purple - Sorry couldn't resist that.
Had that problem on a Customer Compaq PC once, tried the following and it worked. You may need to go into folder Options/ View Tab and tick "Show Hidden Files and Folders"

below is copied from several sites that I put in the " must keep" folder/ word documents I have.

According to several places its suggested that the file that was causing the message is the anti-piracy check.

Code Purple can be bypassed by accessing and renaming the file run.py to run.p_. The file is found at "c:\hp\bin\configcheck\run.py"

OR

To access the "C:" drive to rename the file:
1. Boot the system with a Win Xp Original Disk.
2. When you have to select "Enter" to reload or "R" for Recovery Console select "R".
3. Select the "H:\minint" Drive to bring up the System
4. At the "H:\minint" prompt, change to the "C:" prompt
5. Change directory to the "C:\hp\bin\configcheck"
6. Rename the file with the command "ren run.py run.p_"
7. Reboot the machine and there should be no "Code Purple" error.

wainuitech
24-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Edited after 15 Minute on posts time ran out ------If you dont have a XP CD you can try taking the drive out, put it on another PC as a Slave and try accessing the file from there. Have not done it that way before as I have XP Cd's handy.

aidanmaz
24-02-2008, 08:42 PM
hey guys! thanks very much worked like a charm

aidanmaz
25-02-2008, 05:08 PM
turns out someone had tried to use the HP restore and turned the machine off 1/2 way (i love the lack of info ppl give me when im tryin to solve an issue) what do i do about (gulps) windows product activation.....as the key is already registered.

wainuitech
25-02-2008, 05:27 PM
turns out someone had tried to use the HP restore and turned the machine off 1/2 way (i love the lack of info ppl give me when im tryin to solve an issue) what do i do about (gulps) windows product activation.....as the key is already registered. :lol: Welcome to our world - "No One touched anything - Honest" :D

If the product Key on the side of the PC was used to install the OS, when it comes up with activation select "Activate by telephone" it will give you a 42 digit Number to punch in over the phone, then you may have to talk to MS and tell them the PC was reinstalled using the Product key on the PC and they normally reactivate it for you to that PC.

You may get asked a few questions like has this been put on any other PC - ( figure out the answer:) ) Legally It is on that PC.
You have to do this sometimes if theres a HD failure with built in Recovery Partition, and No CD's.

If its been reinstalled using the recovery CD(s) don't worry, it will activate fine all on its own, the problem may occur if hardware has been changed, this is what triggers the Code Purple.

aidanmaz
26-02-2008, 04:49 PM
returned the pc to the owner, who promptly informed me it has returned to its original state. It says "starting recovery program" it seems im going round in circles. any ideas?

wainuitech
26-02-2008, 05:38 PM
If it was stopped half way through the recovery process then it will want to carry on again.

Two Options.

let it finish and hopefully it will work OK
Start again, when the PC boots, log into the recovery partition, or boot from the Recovery CD's and this time let it run through

If there has been additional hard ware installed from when originally purchased I'd suggest its removed, as the recovery process will be looking for drivers it doesn't have. Once up and going, then replace the hardware along with drivers.

If its being installed from a XP CD, then reformat and start again. Its not a 5 minute job.

aidanmaz
26-02-2008, 06:01 PM
i followed wanaguitech's steps to rename run.py and this got the machine to continue with the restoration proogram which i panicked over as i was scared i lose all the documents. It completed and i spend all today on the phone to M$ trying to get XP reactivated which i did. It makes no sense its gone back to the recovery again as it started windows all today without a hitch, no one has changed any hardware.

wainuitech
26-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Sounds Like something has gone screwy with the OS.

In this business there comes a time when you have to say - ENOUGH - save the data you don't want to lose to someplace, usually either having the drive as a slave connected to another PC, or take a complete copy / image of the drive, then wipe the original clean and start from fresh, and put the saved data back once done.

You can run around for days trying to fix something only to get no where fast, or slow as the case may be, and end up right back where you started.

Its knowing when to admit defeat with a damaged system - or as I look at it - I didn't lose - I'm gonna wipe ya! Take that :lol: ;) POW - gone