PDA

View Full Version : Zone Alarm wont install with Spyware Doctor

Digby
24-02-2008, 08:09 AM
Hi Guys

I Just downloaded the latest ZoneAlarm Free Update.

When I click to install it, a dialog box comes up that says it cant be installed as I am running Spyware Doctor and that I should update to the latest version of Spyware Doctor !

Well I am running the latest version of Spyware Doctor Free.

Any thoughts ?

Regards

Digby

drcspy
24-02-2008, 08:32 AM
uninstall Spyware Doctor.....then install zone....then reinstall Spyware Doctor

Digby
24-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks drcspy

I had thought about doing that.

But two things

1. Why should I ? ZoneAlarm are just being obstreporous ! I have never in my life (25 years in PC's) been told to un-install some other software ! (Disable yes, but un-install - No)

2. I have forgotten the name of the Spyware Doctor install file ! So I don't really want to un-install it.

Any other suggestions ?

I would like to run both programs.

Kind Regards

Digby

wainuitech
24-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Digby - I'd suggest you uninstall Zonealarm and install Comodo (http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/) in its place.

Lately over the last couple of Zonealarm Updates other Antivirus /spyware programs have been detecting something New in ZA as a Bug.

Nod32 actually kills the download of ZA if you try to update it.

I used to use ZA all the time - but have now changed to Comodo, with no problems. Free Spyware Doctor link is in my sig if you need it.

password
24-02-2008, 10:43 AM
So if i have ZA installed and then install spyware doctor, will it be all ok?

Digby
24-02-2008, 11:29 AM
So if i have ZA installed and then install spyware doctor, will it be all ok?

I think it should be, its when you try to do it the other way round.

Regards

Digby

Digby
24-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Digby - I'd suggest you uninstall Zonealarm and install Comodo (http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/) in its place.

I used to use ZA all the time - but have now changed to Comodo, with no problems. Free Spyware Doctor link is in my sig if you need it.

Thanks Wainuitech !

I have used Zonealarm for 4 years now.

I did try Comodo, but found its interface very cluttered, and I could not find the settings for my local 3 PC XP network.

But in light of what you have said I may try it again.

You may have to tell me how to set it up for my network.

Regards

Digby

wainuitech
24-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Setting up the IP range is easier in this newer version.

when installing don't select the offer for the AV - Esp if you have another AV installed. (and thats charged for by Comodo) All you want is the Firewall.

When installing and after a reboot, you will get a window open with the Name of your Ethernet device (you'll see what I mean when you do it) rename that to something better Eg: Network ( original eh!) Once it's all loaded open the Firewall, Click on the Firewall Tab then My Network Zones (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Firewall_1.jpg), then on the Name of your Network single click it to highlight - Click Add Button (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Network_1.jpg) Click "A New Address" from the drop down box, then select A range Of IP Addresses (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Correct_IP_Address.jpg) Fill in the address range. My router is 192.168.1.1 as shown, if your IP Address from the router is 10.1.1.1, then the range would be 10.1.1.1 to 10.1.1.255 , click Apply, close open windows on the firewall - thats it :thumbs:

pctek
24-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Sometimes it pays to stick with older version, so long as they don't need definition updates. ZA 4 is still great. I don't like Commodos layout either.......

BTW Wainuitech - I had NOD32 delete my smitfraudfix - the newer version of NOD doesn't. Could just be a flase positive.

wainuitech
24-02-2008, 01:03 PM
BTW Wainuitech - I had NOD32 delete my smitfraudfix - the newer version of NOD doesn't. Could just be a flase positive. Thanks Pctek - My Nod keep on stopping smitfraudfix as well, have not tried since the newer version. I'm using Eset Smart Security Version 3.0.621.0

Could be a false positive - What happens is the update downloads, it get about 99% and Nod pops up saying its infected with Adinstaller and Deletes/Quarantines it.

PENTIUM
24-02-2008, 01:55 PM
If you have a hardware firewall with 'Broadband' you do not need ZA. If you are on dial-up, then it is a different matter.
I have encountered other situations where an un-install is needed rather than a disablement. Suspect this is because the disabled offender reloads on rebooting, which is usually part of the installation process.

Digby
24-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Do they still make Pentiums ?

I'd love to ditch ZA - have a netcom NB5 modem router, but I do not know if it has a firewall, or how to set one up.

Regards

Digby

wainuitech
24-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Set Comodo as I posted in #8 and you wont have problems.

Personally I wouldn't trust a Router Firewall only, hell mines set and the software firewall still catches stuff.

Do they still make Pentiums

I assume you mean Pentium CPU - If so Whats a Pentium got to do with a Router ??

Digby
24-02-2008, 06:26 PM
I assume you mean Pentium CPU - If so Whats a Pentium got to do with a Router ??

I was just joking !

Thanks for the tips on Commodo

Regards

Digby