PDA

View Full Version : Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 not working on ps/2

utopian201
23-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Hi
I'm using an intellimouse Explorer 3.0 through a ps/2 adapter (I dont have any free usb ports left).

Recently, sometimes out of the blue, the red light on the mouse flickers and then stays off, and the mouse stops working.

I've tried resetting the computer, and switching off and on again :P and the mouse still does not work through ps/2. I've plugged the mouse into a usb port, and it works, so this rules out a faulty mouse right?

I have tried the mouse+ps/2 adapter on another computer's ps2 port and it works fine, so I guess that rules out a faulty ps/2 adapter.

I've also tried a different ps/2 mouse on the computer and it works, so that rules out a faulty ps/2 port. I tried 2 ps/2 mice; a genius ball mouse and a genius optical mouse (both native ps/2)

The only thing I can think of is heat somehow affecting the ps/2 port; it doesn't happen all the time, and sometimes happens only after the computer has been on a bit (not sure how long, I have only noticed it now). But even if it was heat, then other ps/2 mice should fail too right?

Anything else I can try to see what the problem is?

Renmoo
23-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Interesting hardware query here. :)

On the original computer where you plug in your Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 through a PS/2 adaptor, take a look at "Device Manager" and see if there is any yellow exclamation marks (!) under the entry "Mice and other pointing devices".

How long have you used the mouse? I suppose the red light comes from the optical laser of the mouse?

Cheers :)

utopian201
23-02-2008, 10:55 PM
The mouse was with my computer when i got it back in 2002. When the mouse in question is plugged into the ps2 port, there are nothing under the "Mice and other pointing devices" object, yet windows doesn't complain after booting up "No mouse detected" (which I thought normally happens when you boot up windows XP without a mouse).

The mouse's red led does not come on, so its like the mouse is 'dead' when plugged into the PS2 port. Other native ps2 optical mice work though, and the mouse in question comes alive when plugged into usb...