PDA

View Full Version : Solitaire Program came with a gift :(

MMM
22-02-2008, 09:19 AM
I just downloaded a card game program called 2M Free Solitaire from www dot 2games dot com using Firefox Browser.

Before installing it I did my usual download virus check with Avast and up came a screen advising me of the presence of "Win32:Small-ISH [Trj] Trojan Horse VPS Version 080220-0 20/2/2008." :mad:

Avast advised moving it to Chest rather than deleting it, so that's what I did.
When I went back to the folder with the downloaded program, the program wasn't there, so I guess Avast put the whole lot into the chest, not just the virus.

So, does anyone know of a virus free, freeware solitaire program that I can download ?

Cheers
Marg :)

utopian201
22-02-2008, 09:42 AM
doesnt windows come with soliatire?

Greg
22-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Yeah it does, 3 or so versions... dunno why MMM would need to download anything.

MMM
22-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Yeah it does, 3 or so versions... dunno why MMM would need to download anything.

4 very boring card games :yuck: . Need a change.

This program I downloaded had 25 games, some of which were Alternations, Arizona, Bakers Dozen, Canfield, Easthaven, Fan, Fourteen Out, Fanny, Freecell, Four Seasons, Golf, Klondike, Limited, Russian Solitaire, Scorpion, Sir Tommy, Stalactites, etc.

Funny how Firefox let the virus through. Have only been using it for a few weeks.

So, does anyone out there know of some good card games I can download - pleeaaaassseee!

Cheers.

PaulD
22-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Funny how Firefox let the virus through. Have only been using it for a few weeks.

So, does anyone out there know of some good card games I can download - pleeaaaassseee!

Cheers.

Try here for various solitaire games. http://solitaire.vegard2.no/

It's your antivirus program not FireFox that checks downloads.

Speedy Gonzales
22-02-2008, 10:47 AM
If Webshield (right mouse on the a icon in the taskbar / on-access protection control) is enabled / has been started, it should pick up any viruses etc, AFTER it downloads the file/s.

Which will save you scanning it AFTER.

Well, it does here with Avast Home, with firefox.

Avast scans the file/s during and after the download. (It can even alert you, if there's a virus/whatever while the file is downloading).

CYaBro
22-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Download Solitude for Windows from here. (http://www.geocities.com/dbergis/freeware.htm)
It's pretty old now but runs on WinXP fine. Not sure about Vista.
Has about 90 different Solitaire games.

pctek
22-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Solitaires Journey if you can find it, Old as the hills but it has tons of them and runs on anything.

Morgenmuffel
22-02-2008, 11:38 AM
You could also have a look through here (http://www.pcworld.com/browse/1462/topic.html?page=1)

The other thing i would say is if you are into solitaire and getting a bit bored, Mahjong is also really good, i've know a number of solitaire fans to get thoroughly absorbed in Mah-jong

Py-Sol is also good but you need to install python first i think

Perhaps the editor could look at including a few of these card games on a cover DVD at some stage

MMM
22-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Thanks alot PaulD, Cyabro and PCTek - really appreciated your help :thumbs:

Hi Speedy,
my Avast webshield was enabled, have it set on high, but Avast only picked up the Trojan when I scanned folder containing the cardgame.
I googled for the name of the trojan but didn't find anything, except my post from here, lol. Sorry for calling it a virus, dumb moment there :blush: .
Cheers
Marg :)

MMM
22-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Hi Nigel,

you must have posted while I was typing. Looks like I'll have a lot of choices!
Thanks for your help, appreciated it.
Cheers :thumbs: