PDA

View Full Version : New LCD Monitor and Cabling needs - DVI

Kaypee
21-02-2008, 09:10 PM
I have just purchased a Samsung widescreen 22in LCD but the cable is not long enough for my needs. I have looked for an extension cable and been advised not to join but to get a single longer length...which I have done. The cable supplied with the monitor has (DVI) 18 pins in 2 blocks of 9 (3 rows of 3) with a gap in the middle....and a single wider pin on the right.
The cable sold to me has, however, 24 pins in 3 rows of 8 with the wider pin on the right. i.e. there are 6 extra pins in the middle of the original two blocks of 9. (Hope that's not too complicated).
Have I got the wrong cable - the dealer says they are 'all the same' but I am just learning this computer business and don't understand how two different connectors can be the same!!! Does the pin configuration give a different quality picture or something?? Maybe it has something to do with DVI-I and DVI-D and similar codes I have seen. Samsung say something about DVI-D??
Hope someone can put me on the right track - will be grateful. Thanks. Cheers. Kaypee

robbyp
21-02-2008, 09:24 PM
I have just purchased a Samsung widescreen 22in LCD but the cable is not long enough for my needs. I have looked for an extension cable and been advised not to join but to get a single longer length...which I have done. The cable supplied with the monitor has (DVI) 18 pins in 2 blocks of 9 (3 rows of 3) with a gap in the middle....and a single wider pin on the right.
The cable sold to me has, however, 24 pins in 3 rows of 8 with the wider pin on the right. i.e. there are 6 extra pins in the middle of the original two blocks of 9. (Hope that's not too complicated).
Have I got the wrong cable - the dealer says they are 'all the same' but I am just learning this computer business and don't understand how two different connectors can be the same!!! Does the pin configuration give a different quality picture or something?? Maybe it has something to do with DVI-I and DVI-D and similar codes I have seen. Samsung say something about DVI-D??
Hope someone can put me on the right track - will be grateful. Thanks. Cheers. Kaypee

I think there are different versions of DVI, where the higher grade has more pins. However I think the cable with more pins will work fine on both versions. I recall going through something similar when I purchased a DVI cable about 3 years ago, and I just purchased the more expensive with more pin cable to be sure.

Speedy Gonzales
21-02-2008, 09:36 PM
There maybe 5 different DVI connections (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvi)

2 DVI-I, (digital/analog), 2 DVI-D, (digital only) and 1 DVI-A (analog only)

utopian201
22-02-2008, 09:48 AM
I think your cable is a dual link dvi cable. The extra pins are required to carry extra bandwidth when high resolutions are used (2560x1600+). But otherwise, it will work as a normal dvi cable :D

hazza87
22-02-2008, 12:08 PM
You will have no problems using that cable on your 22" monitor. But it also gives you the option of using it on a larger monitor with better resolution in the future.