PDA

View Full Version : Raid....and I aint talkin fly spray

Espresso_Addict
21-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Help... my pc has 3 x 80gb hard drives. The first drive is partioned at 40gb/40gb and has C:\ and D:\. The other two drives where connected in a mirrored raid via a Silicone image raid controller pci card. Drives G:\ and H:\ both also 40gb each.

About 2 weeks ago drives G & H disapeared and after getting it looked at by a computer shop, they advise me to back up the hard drives and re - create the raid.

1. I have connected the primary drive off the raid as a slave on the same ide as c and the disk manage tells me its unallocated ......how do I get my data of it???
2. When I re-create the raid, do I partition one of the drives in two again..@ 40gb each partition and it will be mirrored on the second drive? or do I partion each of the 2 drives @ 40gb and leave the balance unallocated??

As you can tell I'm in deep s*&t and over my head.....lol
Sytem runs Xp pro on a p4pe m/board with no onboard raid

Thanks
Grant

CYaBro
21-02-2008, 10:31 PM
1. You can't connect a RAID drive to a standard IDE/SATA controller and read the data from it.
You need to leave it connected to the RAID controller. You should then be able to read the data from it. Try one drive at a time and if you can't read one try the other.

2. When you re-create the RAID you will only see it as one drive so just partition that as required. All partitioning etc will be mirrored to the other drive by the RAID controller.

tweak'e
21-02-2008, 10:46 PM
depnds. i used to recreate the raid, provided you used the exact same settings, it would go back exactly the way it was, no data lost.

your milage may vary ;)

CYaBro
21-02-2008, 10:55 PM
depnds. i used to recreate the raid, provided you used the exact same settings, it would go back exactly the way it was, no data lost.

your milage may vary ;)

Yes that's true. I have done that too.
Just make sure that when it asks you if want to wipe the discs say NO!
All the RAID controllers that I have used will ask you this before creating the RAID.