PDA

View Full Version : Seagate External Hard Drive inaccessable

jmcnicol
21-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi can anybody help? I have an Acer Aspire 5310 running Vista Home Basic, with a Seagate 300GB external hard drive connected through a USB hub. I have the majority of my work files on this drive. After about 20-30 minutes, the drive goes to sleep and becomes inaccessable, necessitating switching it off then on again. This becomes a nuisance as I have lost data through this process. What can I do to sloce this?
Regards

John

CYaBro
21-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Do yo have the same problem if the drive is connected directly to a USB port on the PC?
I have had similar problems with non powered USB hubs in the past.

mzee
22-02-2008, 07:17 PM
I have found that USB hubs often do not support USB2, the drive feels disconnected :stare:

Scouse
22-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Hi jmcnicol. Have you considered changing the power plan to stop the USB device from sleeping? I have switched off all "sleep" function as I found the damn thing a real nuisance. While in there I did notice that under Advanced Power Settings, on the Power Options dialogue box, there was an option for USB Settings. I did not try it and am not too sure what it does as I did not wish to activate the process on my external hard drive - which runs sweet as..... :D .

Speedy Gonzales
22-02-2008, 08:27 PM
The double post is here (http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=87428)