PDA

View Full Version : Lost my internet connection

R.M.
21-02-2008, 08:21 AM
My problem for today is that I have lost my Xtra Broadband internet connection. I run Windows XP Pro, and have the DSL-302G modem with a Belkin Wireless G Router. All the correct 'lights' are as they should be with the exception of the Status light on e DSL modem - it is flashing, not on as it should be.

I rang Telecom last night - but the guy there couldn't help me - said I would have to ring AVG. I HAD turned off both Avg and ZoneAlarm on his instructions.

Is the above problem one I can 'fix' myself - or should I get the 'man from the repair shop' either in (do not usually do that) or take my 'box' to the repair shop - something I do very seldom! Of course - I usually get you guys to so capably help me (but difficult to do without an active internet connection!)

And again - many thanks in anticipation. :)

Speedy Gonzales
21-02-2008, 08:29 AM
Somehow, I think calling AVG will do jack. Pull the plug and put it back in.

Safari
21-02-2008, 08:35 AM
What has AVG got to do with it.
It seems you have DSL but is not connecting to Xtra as indicated by the flashing status light.
Reboot both PC and router and if it still does not connect check you still have the correct username and password in the router config page.

If that is ok call Xtra and report the fault, these sort of problems usually require a reconfig or reset in their equipment.

sam m
21-02-2008, 08:39 AM
If anything a firewall update would be a possible issue, AVG?, I dont think so. Have you eliminated the router as the problem by plugging straight into modem. The status light on my modem is constantly flashing, and I have had no internet issues.

R.M.
21-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Somehow, I think calling AVG will do jack. Pull the plug and put it back in.

Did that - didn't work. :(

Speedy Gonzales
21-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Try resetting the router / and putting your login info back into it.

If that doesnt work, its probably the exchange or ISP, thats the prob.

Then ring Xtra back and speak to someone who knows what theyre talking about

And check if the ips under your LAN connection are right.

Or check the filter / cable on the router / your computer / going to the jack

R.M.
21-02-2008, 12:08 PM
What has AVG got to do with it.
It seems you have DSL but is not connecting to Xtra as indicated by the flashing status light.
Reboot both PC and router and if it still does not connect check you still have the correct username and password in the router config page.

If that is ok call Xtra and report the fault, these sort of problems usually require a reconfig or reset in their equipment.

Thought I had done all that. I was VERY doubtful that Avg was the issue. I'm just not absolutely certain that the correct username and password used. When you put the details in the "I don't know what you call it" box on the screen for Xtra Broadband connection I wasn't sure whether adsl (no that is not quite what I mean - but near) had to go in or just my normal username. I know I used the 'adsl - nearly' when I set it up.

I got no useful help from Xtra Helpdesk.:(

R.M.
21-02-2008, 12:09 PM
If anything a firewall update would be a possible issue, AVG?, I dont think so. Have you eliminated the router as the problem by plugging straight into modem. The status light on my modem is constantly flashing, and I have had no internet issues.

I haven't reinstalled the router - that is the one thing I haven't tried. :groan:

drcspy
21-02-2008, 12:25 PM
I rang Telecom last night - but the guy there couldn't help me - said I would have to ring AVG. I HAD turned off both Avg and ZoneAlarm on his instructions.

those xtra helpdesk people are COMPLETE MORONS......AVG cannot and will not have ANY effect WHATSOEVER on your internet connection......i've heard this one too many times they're fools........even had em tell folks to UNinstall AVG and other a/v progs.......

R.M.
21-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Aha - I'm back to annoy you on-line again! It was, of course, the Belkin Router - not as the man from Xtra (in Manilla!) told me - AVG.

So all is well - thanks for your support - and I will probably be back again within the week, when I try to reinstall the Router!!!

Cheers :)