PDA

View Full Version : Help Setting Up A Seagate Sata 320GB Harddrive

ruup
19-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Hi,formatted my friends computer,running XP,and when we try to load XP Home (Genuine),the computer refuses to 'see' the hardrive.I can load up Windows ME no trouble,but XP will not load.I have contacted Seagate via e-mail and checked their website,but have not been able to fine the correct information.There must be a driver we are missing.Any help would as usual be greatfully recieved.
Cheers
ruup

nofam
19-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Is it a SATA drive?

jwil1
19-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Win XP doesn't have drivers for SATA drives. It's as simple (and as annoying) as that.

You need to load/find/download drivers for the device (these probably came with your mobo) and load them onto a floppy (you can load them directly into the XP CD but that's complicated :) ) If your mobo doesn't have a floppy connector (or you don't have a a floppy drive), you need to load them directly into the CD.

Boot from the XP CD, then press F6 when prompted (at the bottom of the screen), insert the floppy you created and load drivers from there. It (should) be able to see the HD now.

beama
19-02-2008, 07:18 PM
have a look in the bios of the machine and see if the sata emulate Ide if so set as such and hopefully your problem will go away

If you do a forum search there is thread on this very subject

Thebananamonkey
19-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Or have you set slave/master priorities? I was silly enough to be confused for an hour one day not too long ago by the little toggles at the back. If they're set to slave/master or just not there then I'm out of suggestions. Uselessly enough. But would be a good idea to check.

feersumendjinn
20-02-2008, 12:07 AM
There are no "toggles" on sata drives, they are all set to Master and on their own channel/s, the (small) jumper you can see on the back of the drive is to limit the data speed to 150MB/sec for earlier motherboards that only do Sata1, for Sata2 you remove the jumper :nerd: :thumbs:

PaulD
20-02-2008, 08:05 AM
The other thing not mentioned so far is that XP has to be SP1 or higher to have support for disks larger than 137G.

Speedy Gonzales
20-02-2008, 08:12 AM
The other thing not mentioned so far is that XP has to be SP1 or higher to have support for disks larger than 137G.

True, but you have to get XP on it first.

It'll be what Beama said. Altho, not all systems need SATA drivers either

Agent_24
20-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Pretty sure IDE emulation disables AHCI, which is what SATA uses to enable things like NCQ and other features. avoid doing this if possible as turning it back on after you've installed windows can cause a lot of issues.

best to use the floppy disk with the drivers and leave all the advanced options for your SATA enabled, and IDE emulation (if available) Disabled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_Interface

Find out what their motherboard is, then you'll be able to find out what drivers you need to download to make it work.