PDA

View Full Version : Joining midi files

JonB
18-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Hello Press F1'ers
Example....I have a midi file of a complete Piano Concerto in four movements.
Each movement is a separate midi file. Can anyone point me to software that could stitch these files together into one file?
Thanks
JonB

wratterus
18-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/).

Great app. I'm 99% sure it will work with midi files too.

JonB
18-02-2008, 04:02 PM
No, Audacity doesn't do midi yet. But it gave me the idea of converting the midis to wav,joining the wavs and then converting the result back to midi.
Drawn out process but I'll give it a go. If there is a dedicated midi joiner then I would like to know of it
JonB

JonB
18-02-2008, 08:52 PM
OK. I converted two midi files to wav using Midi to Wav Maker, joined them together using Audacity and then converted the new file back to midi format using AmazingMIDI. Bit of a performance, would be a lot easier if I could just join two midis!
JonB

Erayd
18-02-2008, 09:12 PM
No, Audacity doesn't do midi yet. But it gave me the idea of converting the midis to wav,joining the wavs and then converting the result back to midi.Not possible without re-transcribing the midi from sound, which almost always loses a ton of data. A midi file is like 'sheet music' for a computer, whereas wav etc are representations of the sound itself.

To join midi files (unless they are *identical* in their channel arrangement, which is extremely unlikely) you will need a midi authoring program. Something like Cubase will do an excellent job of this, although it may be a little overkill for what you actually need. If you run Linux, take a look at Rosegarden - that should be able to do what you need, and it's free too :thumbs:.

JonB
18-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks Bletch. Sorry I'm not using Linux, but the test file I made was perfectly acceptable using the software mentioned.

Trev
18-02-2008, 09:48 PM
About ten years ago when the first Creative Sound Blaster live card came out you got on cd a midi program called Cakewalk Gold. It showed midi files in notation which allowed you to copy and paste midi sequences together and save them as one piece. Do a search with google and you might find it to download.
:)

bevy121
18-02-2008, 11:31 PM
A tool called gnmidi (http://www.gnmidi.com/gnmidien.htm#download)can do a whole heap of things, including "making a MIDI medley (http://www.gnmidi.com/handbook/english/makemedley.htm)" which may do what you are looking for I think.

This somewhat limited 5 day trial demo will only join 2 files in a session tho - but you could join 2 into one then add another etc or something :)

I tried it quickly and worked good for joining 2 midi files - didnt try it any further myself tho

Hope it's of some use to you

JonB
19-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Thanks for that bevy121, I scoured the net and found a free version 1.0. It has not got all the bells and whistles of the latest version but it does just what I wanted.....it concatenates(big word!) midi files perfectly and instantly. PressF1 proves it's worth again!