PDA

View Full Version : At what point does XP tell you "your running out of space on your...."

wratterus
18-02-2008, 09:46 AM
XP.

Had a dodgy 40GB HDD, out of an old HP PC. (Maxtor, naturally)

Used Acronis to clone it to a new 80GB drive. (Seagate, naturally) :p

Now the recovery partition, (which I didn't change the size of), had 2MB free, and still does, but obviously the "you are running out of space on your d:" message keeps coming up.

I'm not concerned about getting rid of the message, but rather at what point. (I assume it's a percentage of the drive left empty) does Windows start bitching about having no space. I'll simply resize the partition to suit, but rather than mucking around, trial and error, hopefully someone knows exactly when Windows starts moaning.

TIA. :cool:

wainuitech
18-02-2008, 09:55 AM
From Memory - and its to early in the week to be accurate:p I think its around 5-6Mb,on a 40Gb Drive

Erayd
18-02-2008, 10:37 AM
From Memory - and its to early in the week to be accurate:p I think its around 5-6Mb,on a 40Gb DriveUnless it's the drive on which a swapfile lives - in this case the warning is displayed when the free space drops below the maximum allowable swap size. We have a whole bunch of PCs at work reporting low disk space at 2GB free because of this :groan:.

wratterus
18-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Ok guys, thanks. Think I'll add 50mb just to be safe. They are hardly short of space now.

rob_on_guitar
18-02-2008, 11:42 AM
I think the general rule was when there is only 15% left?
I cant remember exactly

wratterus
18-02-2008, 11:57 AM
I think the general rule was when there is only 15% left?
I cant remember exactly

Maybe your thinking about the defrag thing? Windows says it won't defrag properly if your drive has less than 15% free space? :illogical

rob_on_guitar
18-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Oh yea. Maybe your correct.