PDA

View Full Version : DVD/CD Drive does not appear in explorer

prayami
17-02-2008, 08:24 AM
Hi,

In one of my friends' computer (Windows XP), the DVD/CD Drive was working fine but he doesn't know when DVD/CD Drive disappear from the explorer.

If we insert the CD or DVD even it does not prompt to open the DVD/CD and does not show DVD/CD Drive in the explorer.

I have checked in the Device Manager: there is nothing like "DVD/CD Drive" over there.

Anybody has any solution about that?

Thanks,

sal
17-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Does it reappear if you put the computer in Stand By and then resume?

prayami
17-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Thanks for reply,

I haven't tried to put in stand by mode. But even though we restart, it does not show DVD/CD Drive ?

Thanks,

Speedy Gonzales
17-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Does the BIOS detect it?

If it doesnt check its cable and the power going to it.

It could be dead.It'll be under DVD/CD rom drives in device manager.

prayami
17-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Hi,

I don't know, how to check BIOS is detected or not? But I did the following things:
(1) I have checked the wiring inside the box for DVD and it seems fine. And it was not opened by anybody before.
(1) Under Device Manager, it does not show "DVD/CD Drive"
(2) In the Setup of BIOS, it is showing Secondary Master as "Sumsung DVD/CD", is it mean DVD/CD Drive is detected?

Any other idea, please...

Thanks,

Speedy Gonzales
17-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Hi,

I don't know, how to check BIOS is detected or not? But I did the following things:

You did find it, in (2) below

(1) Under Device Manager, it does not show "DVD/CD Drive"

Did you click on the + ? Or do you mean the DVD/CD-Rom drives entry isnt in device manager at all?

(2) In the Setup of BIOS, it is showing Secondary Master as "Sumsung DVD/CD", is it mean DVD/CD Drive is detected?

Is there anything on Master, and is it on the same IDE connection as this?

Or is this cd/dvd by itself?

Is power going to this?? The IDE cable maybe connected but is the power connected too?

It sounds like something is stuffed, change the IDE cable or plug another power adapter into it.

Try this (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/314060)

prayami
17-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi,

Did you click on the + ? Or do you mean the DVD/CD-Rom drives entry isnt in device manager at all?

I can't see any such entry in the Device Manager.

Is there anything on Master, and is it on the same IDE connection as this? Or is this cd/dvd by itself?

On the Master there is Hard Disk. And in Secondary Master there is only DVD/CD Drive.

Is power going to this?? The IDE cable maybe connected but is the power connected too

Power cable is also connected. And I can open and close the DVD Writer by
pressing button on it.

I don't know, what can be wrong. Or what should I do to start DVD/CD Drive.

The last option is install OS again. But still want to try some more things if we can solve the problem.

Thanks,

wainuitech
17-02-2008, 09:24 PM
One way to test if its the hardware or software is to put in a bootable CD, the XP disk will work as a test, if it detects and boots from the CD then its more than likely a software problem. No need to reinstall - this is to test the drives connection only.

If it doesn't detect:

If you are able - connect the DVD drive and Hard Drive on the same IDE Cable, make sure the jumper on the DVD is set to Slave.
This will tell you if the drive is faulty.

If it detects OK as A slave, try another IDE Cable - that may be at fault.

If it still wont detect it could be the IDE Header on the Board failing, one way to test this is if you have another HD, set it to slave and connect that, it should show in My computer as a second drive.