PDA

View Full Version : Very slow PC

mzee
16-02-2008, 10:56 AM
I have a very slow computer, Celeron 1.7ghz, 2 DDR memory slots 256 + 512 RAM, running Windows XP Pro, Puppy Linux. Avast anti Virus, Zone Alarm, BO-Clean.
Tried 2 drives, Western Digital & Maxtor, both 80g 7600RPM.
It has been getting progressively slower over time. It is now out performed by a 1999 Celeron 400mhz with 256meg SD Ram, running the same software on an old Quantum 12gig drive!

I have checked the BIOS, reinstalled the Windows XP Pro, removed surplus programs,fitted a larger fan, swapped the memory.
Takes ages to load Windows. If you go to the Control panel the Icons come on one at a time. ( the Celeron 400 brings up Control panel immediately )

It also freezes from time to time with Windows & Linux.

Have I missed out something?

feersumendjinn
16-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Power supply unit (low voltages? causing slow data speeds in cpu/chipset?); worth a try replacing it ;)
Or high voltages, possibly overloading/damaging motherboard etc, also likely :horrified

darroll
16-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Did you run defrag? Without that it will turn your OS into a snail. dc

feersumendjinn
16-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Did you run defrag? Without that it will turn your OS into a snail. dc

I have checked the BIOS, reinstalled the Windows XP Pro
:D

wainuitech
16-02-2008, 11:22 AM
What happens if you install XP Pro - Single Drive, no updates additional software apart from Drivers, only XP Pro - no Linux - does it boot /run faster - from what you put theres a lot of things happening in the PC, with 2 OS's / Drives etc.

pctek
16-02-2008, 01:57 PM
I have a very slow computer,

Avast anti Virus, Zone Alarm, BO-Clean.

It has been getting progressively slower over time.

Yes they do.

Its now time for a clean new install of Windows.
Back up your stuff and start from scratch.

Then when you have the new install all configured back to your liking make an image of it for when in a couple of years it starts to bog down again.

Its another wonderful feature specially bought to you by Microsoft.

beeswax34
16-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Yes they do.

Its now time for a clean new install of Windows.
Back up your stuff and start from scratch.

Then when you have the new install all configured back to your liking make an image of it for when in a couple of years it starts to bog down again.

Its another wonderful feature specially bought to you by Microsoft.

He's already re-installed on 2 different drives. How could he be more cleaner?

wainuitech
16-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Regarding the Freezing - when it freezes and you reboot ( or what ever you do to get it going again) click start/Run type in eventvwr Look through the log files bot system and Application.

Someplace there will be an event either Error or Warning, look for "Application Hang" at the exact time it froze, double click it to open, copy/paste back the complete file - this may shred some light as to whats happening.

Jibaro
16-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Well,apparently you have 2 problems slow data transfer and freezing. You said you have 2 PC's which is perfect for testing.Start by switching the hard drives.If the older PC can handle the others' HD you can discard program conflicts or malware.If that checks out try the ram. Take out all your peripherals (sound cards, graphics,modems..ect.) Just try one of your cards if it shows no change give it a clean up you'd be surprised how much trouble a little dirt or humidity can cause.Don't forget the slots if you have access to compressed air try that.If things are still the same replace the thermo cream between the possessor and the heat sink. The heat might not be transferring efficiently. That should solve your "freezing" problem.
If it starts to work right add everything back one thing at a time making sure you test before adding the next one. Eventually,you'll find something that bring your system to a near halt. Then work from there. Hope this is useful.

Speedy Gonzales
16-02-2008, 03:28 PM
It'll probably crash if you swap hdd's.

What about DMA and PIO?? Is it connected to the same IDE connection as anything else?

If it is, is it jumpered properly?

pctek
16-02-2008, 04:38 PM
He's already re-installed on 2 different drives.

:blush:

mzee
19-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the advice.
Have other things to do, and as it is a spare I will do it some other time.