PDA

View Full Version : My Broadband wont load after using p2p software

Digby
15-02-2008, 06:29 AM
Hi Guys

I am on broadband with an ADSL modem.

I am finding that my connection is very unreliable. My Firefox browser will not load and my Outlook Express fails.

If I reboot my computer it works perfectly.

I also use a p2p program (name withheld) and I am convinced that I only get the above problems after I have been using my p2p program.

Could this be possible ?

And if so I wonder if the fault is with p2p program somehow clogging up my ports or is it my ISP (name withheld) playing funny games (I am sure they have throttled my p2p program)

Regards

Digby

wainuitech
15-02-2008, 07:42 AM
Errrr stating the Obvious - remove the program then do a full spyware scan.

Some of those P2P programs come bundled with "extras" - Spyware, which can cause all sorts of problems.
is it my ISP (name withheld) playing funny games (I am sure they have throttled my p2p program) I wouldn't ba at all surprised if your ISP who ever it is MAY be doing something - I Was reading a few weeks back that some of the ISP's in NZ are throttling back P2P programs to try and deter the illegal downloading of software/music and Movies.

Legal ones don't have a problem as they can have their own download software - take MS for example if you download some big programs, they offer their own down loader in case of disconnection.

wratterus
15-02-2008, 07:45 AM
You didn't download Kazaa did you?

If so, kill it immediately and scan for nasties like Wainui suggested.

nofam
15-02-2008, 11:20 AM
As per above, you've got to be REALLY careful choosing P2P apps - spyware galore if you're not careful, and also you're opening up your PC (and potentially your whole LAN) to strangers. Unless you're comfortable with locking things down, I'd steer away from using them at all.

Having said that, if you wanna know how to lock your PC down, you've come to the right place!! :D

limepile
15-02-2008, 05:57 PM
ALWAYS ALWAYS scan downloads with your anti virus before opening. Do regular spyware sweeps. Do not use kazaa imho its a dangerous program.
Do use PeerGuardian , it helps keep spyware, of a sort, off your system.

Use Google to find relevant forums where matters such as this are welcome to be discussed.

And may I recommend Jamendo, a site for free LEGAL creative commons music downloads. It has software that it recommends , and the music there ranges from fantastic to rather less so !!

And if you don't know what creative commons means, then wiki is your friend.

Digby
16-02-2008, 07:45 AM
HI Guys

A bit of success I think.

I ran Spyware Doctor and it found a trojan - Dobobra CP.

And now I seem able to go back and fro between my Firefox browser, my email, and my p2p program with no problems.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Regards

Digby

I will kepp you posted after a few more days.

Speedy Gonzales
16-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Well thats what happens when you use P2P programs.

Agent_24
16-02-2008, 09:26 PM
I found that when running eMule with KAD network or Azureus with DHT enabled on my old D-link 302 I would get dropped connections constantly.

I think the amount of connections these programs (especially using these options/networks) can cause some routers to become overloaded and crash the connection...

msnforum
16-02-2008, 10:04 PM
If you go over 100 connections, this 302g router will not work correctly, that's on top my mind, I couldn't figure out the exact amount.

In this case, refreshing a long list of game servers or running p2p will make the connection unstable therefore causing internet browsing problems.

Speedy Gonzales
17-02-2008, 04:34 AM
And if you've got XP SP2 and you havent used the tcp/ip patch, it'll probably be this thats stuffing up P2P.