PDA

View Full Version : personalised shortcuts

shione83
14-02-2008, 09:40 PM
have been trying to work out how to create shortcuts for a program that i use all the time plus a shortcut for a folder within My documents.
i read that to create a short cut to find the program click on properties and assign a key from there.( i have lots of shortcut keys on my keyboard... now want to assign the program and folder to them)
however...when i click on properties in the program i cant do anything in the shortcut box as i cant delete where it says none...my cursor just flashes at the end of none... cant hilite it or anything.
when i tried with my folder that doesnt have a shortcut box in properties at all.
i tried going into my keyboard properties in control panel and theres nothing there to let me do anything either
anyone have any suggestions?
Thanx
p.s. did any of that make sense?? :D

TGD
14-02-2008, 10:24 PM
There are lots of ways to skin this cat if I understand right what you want
Probably the easiest way is go to the file / right click on it and send to desktop (create shortcut)

You can do this the other way from your desktop as well. by right click / new short cut and browse for file

Whenu
14-02-2008, 10:26 PM
when your cursor is in the shortcut box that displays "none", tap the key you want use as the shortcut and the box should change to "Ctrl+Alt+the pressed key" hope this helps

beeswax34
14-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Whenu is right about how to add a shortcut to a program but for folders, do this:

Do you have a folder to which you want instant access from anywhere on your computer? For example, if you want the My Music folder to pop up while Internet Explorer or Word is maximized, follow these steps:

Select the folder in Windows Explorer.

Create a shortcut, and place it on the desktop. (You create a shortcut by opening the folder, pointing to New on the File menu, then clicking Shortcut. Drag the shortcut to your desktop.)

Right–click the new shortcut, and then click Properties.

In the Properties dialog box, click the Shortcut tab, and in the Shortcut key box, enter a Control key combination or a Control–Shift key combination, (that is, CTRL+ALT+M or CTRL+SHIFT+M when M is for music), and then click OK.

Anytime you hit the key combination you specified, your folder will open, even when other programs are maximized! This tip can be applied to folders, programs, and text file shortcuts that are placed on the desktop.

shione83
15-02-2008, 01:40 PM
thanx for the replies but as i said ..my keyboard already has the short cut keys e.g shortcut 1...shortcut2... plus others i guess i should be able to configure for whatever i want to....and i just want to apply personal shortcuts to them so i can just hit the key and it opens whatever it should... i know it can be done coz i used to have it set up but lost all shortcuts due to formatting and now have no idea how to redo them again

FoxyMX
15-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Reinstall your keyboard driver from the CD then setup the shortcut keys again with the keyboard software.

shione83
15-02-2008, 05:56 PM
cant do that ..dont have the cd for keyboard.... keyboard came with my last computer which i no longer have...so is an hp keyboard with a different brand pc.
starting to think it might be easier to just go out and buy new keyboard! LOL

beeswax34
15-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Or try and get the drivers from HP's website.