PDA

View Full Version : Live video feeding!

aonghas
14-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Hey guys,

I'm involved in video and technical stuff at my school and this year we are wanting to have talent shows etc.

I was wondering if anyone has ever set up a live video feed with one or more cameras so that the video displays on the projector behind?

If anyone has done this, or has had any experience with this sort of thing, could you give me advice in terms of what equipment would be needed, how it would be set up, and any specific software packages that are required?

Cheers
aonghas

vitalstatistix
14-02-2008, 08:01 PM
What computer software/hardware does the school currently have?
My suggestion would be Macs as they are geared towards TV and video production.
Macs were responsible for the video and audio feeds at the Grammy awards this year.
http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/news/index.cfm?email&NewsID=9486

aonghas
14-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Not a lot. Most of the time I bring my personal gear because it's just easier. However, I don't have anything too fancy, my equipment basically includes a laptop with Adobe CS2 (Premiere, AE, etc..), my HDV camera, tripod. I am aware of switch boards etc, but this is the area that I don't know much about and what I would need. The school does have a budget for this kind of equipment though, so any suggestions would be great.

Cheers

vitalstatistix
14-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Most of the switch board set up you have should be able to plug into a Mac. Have a read of the article as they mention a lot of stuff in it although most of the stuff is fairly top end.

Apple does Final Cut Express for video, Logic Express for sound mixing and Quick time so it should just be a matter of you plugging your additional hardware in and going from there.

The other option would be to try running it through iMovie and Garageband which would be the cheaper option than getting Final Cut and Logic Express.

somebody
14-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Does it have to go through a computer? The last time I did something like this for a local theatre group, we just ran a long coax cable (with RCA adaptors on both ends) between the camera, and the projector. We never did any live mixing of multiple feeds, one of the guys had a small video mixer he'd picked up 2nd hand which was floating around in case we needed it.

vitalstatistix
14-02-2008, 08:15 PM
That sounds like a good cheap plan somebody. :thumbs:

somebody
14-02-2008, 08:30 PM
If you must do multiple video streams, then I'd suggest that you hire a simple video mixer and plenty of cable. They should be fairly readily available from AV hire places, and very straightforward to set up. There really isn't much point in buying one, unless it will be used regularly (or is so cheap that it isn't worth hiring one instead).

I've hired stuff from these guys http://oceania-audio.com/ before, and they were very helpful. Another option might be to get in touch with other schools in your area, and see if they have gear you can borrow - i.e. you borrow stuff from them now, and they can borrow stuff from your school in the future.