PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO: Laptop Purchasing? Where? How? What? Who? (and now :P)

AnokFero
14-02-2008, 02:12 AM
I'm looking at putting on Hire Purchase (aka finance) a new laptop since Dell wont even think about doing Finance with a home user - the only reason why I chose Dell was because of the Product Red campaign.

I wanted to get a laptop in which at least let me customise some features (not that I know what I'm looking for), has colour (any laptop that is black is going to be put on the bottom of the to-buy-list!) and comes with easy payment options.

I've tried different sites, and nothing seems as easy as the stupid Dell website, it seems to be all private businesses, which more than likely doesn't provide any HP agreements, and whats worse is they are all that freaking awful colour BLACK! (I say this because EVERYONE else has a black laptop, not that I hate the colour itself).

The laptop from Dell was going to be around 4000 - 5000 dollars with their finance offerings being quite low over a 36 month term at 20ish dollars a week.

-----

The laptop will need to be able to stand up to the treatment some games create. While I'm not always playing the latest game, playing Oblivion would be great without that 3 minute load time every time you exit into the wide world around you.

Playing music and DVDs, and being able to cope with visual effects similar *but more powerful* than windows media player would be a nice trick.

Internet games will need to be played as well so hopefully to allow for that wireless feel to it all a wireless solution could be found for that - I'm hopeless at knowing whats needed for that and whats not (You tell me I need it I more than likely will get it). I would rather not go "all out" on this however so something around 250-500 dollars is a bit to much - at least without knowing why I need to pay more than that!

On the issuse of wireless internet, since I have a Desktop PC already, will this interfere with that internet connection? Will I need to get a connection in which will allow it to connect as well? Both Laptop and Desktop will need internet access, thou likely not at the same time (but still possible).

Keyboard is okay to not need to have an external, thou a mouse would be the best thing since the new laptop I hope to get. Bluetooth options at the moment fascinate me - what do people here think of doing this? The mouse will need to be one to stand up to the "drop factor" and possibly "spillage" damages.

Headphones would be nice and nicer still if using bluetooth (thou since I don't know how bluetooth works, am I asking for two much if I'm using a Bluetooth mouse and headphone?) Sixty dollars for this would be the most I'm looking at simply cos I don't need something flashy, just something that does it sounds okay.

Printers/scanners aren't needed unless a package deal is offered and there is a good reason why I should include it.

Carrying bag (which more than likely wouldn't be the bag it came with) would be nice too, for example, something that has colour, isn't totally black (but not white - to easy to get dirty :() and can fit some extras inside as well.

Weight isn't a real issue as it should be setup in two or three locations which will be able to handle such problems as "its to heavy"!

Thats all I can think of I need to provide, I hope its not to much to ask such a question, but I am serious about finding a laptop that can handle things by itself without me having to log on the Desktop computer, as I wont be able to do this all the time.

beeswax34
14-02-2008, 02:59 AM
Welcome to PressF1 :)

Can the mouse and the headphones be black? A waterproof Bluetooth mouse isn't going to be $60 or less by the way.

Morpheus1
14-02-2008, 07:01 AM
Are you here in New Zealand? I see you posted at 2 AM, and $5k for a laptop??!!!

pctek
14-02-2008, 09:35 AM
I'm looking at putting on Hire Purchase (aka finance)

I wanted to get a laptop which has colour (any laptop that is black is going to be put on the bottom of the to-buy-list!)

-----

All PC shops have finance options.
Either time payment or rent to own.

ASUS have silver laptops too.

If you want pink or something then buy a mac.

stormdragon
14-02-2008, 09:52 AM
Sony have a number of coloured laptops in there VAIO (http://www.sony.co.nz/products/product/computer/vaio-notebook.jsp) range.

AnokFero
14-02-2008, 12:18 PM
beeswax34:
The only thing that cant be black is the laptop itself, and hopefully (if I get it) the extra carry bag. So yes, the Mouse and headphones can be black, white, brown, yellow... anything so long as it works. Looks like we will be removing the waterproof option :) And thanks for the welcome :)

Morpheus1:
Yes I'm in New Zealand, after finding out that the customised laptop from Dell wasn't going to be able to be financed by me, I started looking for local, then New Zealand wide Laptop websites. This lead me to getting so confussed that I didn't know which laptop was going to met my needs, which was the better deal, and which is good for the price they are offering.

pctek:
The idea of owning a mac has never even been on the radar. I have never used one except when I was a kid, and that wasn't such a good experience - thou I'm sure this would have been greatly improved.

The only thing with a PC shop is that there is nothing online I can browse, if you mean local, non-chained retailers. And chains like Noels (like I've had happen before) simply want me to shop with them and don't always tell it like it is!

stormdragon:
I like this range, do people here think that this range will be able to stand up to being used by itself?

The Purple Laptop (http://www.sony.co.nz/products/product/computer/vaio-notebook/vgntz27gnr.jsp), and as for the bluetooth mouse, is this a decent one, that price would suggest waterproof (!) or am I paying for "product logo" (click for mouse (http://www.sony.co.nz/products/product.jsp?sku=VGPBMS33B)).

Any other suggestions are welcome.

SolMiester
14-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Hi, I wouldnt go for a Sony Vaio, they are expensive compared to others, though have pretty colours........ahhhhhhh!.

Cant understand Dell not doing finance for you, why not arrange finance 1st then. If you want to play Oblivion, you'll need a Dell M1730 or there abouts or better yet a mate in Oz for an Alienware jobby!

However 5K down on a lappy is out there!

AnokFero
14-02-2008, 12:34 PM
"though have pretty colours........ahhhhhhh!."Exactly my thinking lol.

In their (Dell's) words: "In relation to your below question [regarding finance], yes we do only offer funding to Sole Traders / Partnerships & Businesses. If you are not applying for one of these we unfortunately are unable to provide funding."

So just to make sure I'm following you correctly SolMiester, the Vaio laptop above would be able to sustain Oblivion and semi-recent games?

stormdragon
14-02-2008, 12:44 PM
The VAIO laptop you selected doesn't have that higher spec's and is built more for mobility/battery life thence the 11hr max life. One of the VGNCR35G model laptops has a lot higher specs and would be capable of playing your games at the loss of battery life (4hrs max).

AnokFero
14-02-2008, 12:50 PM
AND its cheaper! ?? I always think thats werid! How can that be possible that since this seems "beefier", yet is cheaper than the other one.... Thats why I don't buy computers myself lol!

stormdragon
14-02-2008, 12:59 PM
The more expensive model includes a higher capacity battery which would cost more, the CPU thats in it is a ULV (Ultra low voltage) chip which cost a lot.

AnokFero
14-02-2008, 01:02 PM
As a friend of mine would say "Bloody Technology".

It seems its all set, I just have to wait till next week to process it.

I wish to thank everyone for their input! You guys have helped me much, as I would never have found out the details I have.

If you think of anything to add please let me know, I'm still open to see if this is could be beat :}

stormdragon
14-02-2008, 01:03 PM
If you do buy an VAIO laptop do so from a Sony Style store as they will upgrade your warranty to 2 years for free.

AnokFero
14-02-2008, 01:05 PM
:eek: :dogeye: :cool: :thumbs:

WOW, hehe I was going to do that, but if I do it that way, I may have to wait a week as the site reports its out of stock. But I can wait.... I think. :P

stormdragon
14-02-2008, 01:11 PM
The website says "Temporarily unavailable online". Their stores may actually have stock. List of stores (http://www.sony.co.nz/products/showrooms.jsp) just give one a call if your near by and ask if they've got them.

You would have ended up having to wait for a dell anyway!

AnokFero
14-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Contacted their email address, since I live in Southland, I don't have a local store near by.

So lets wait and hear back from them... *tries not to get excited*

SolMiester
14-02-2008, 01:34 PM
"though have pretty colours........ahhhhhhh!."Exactly my thinking lol.

In their (Dell's) words: "In relation to your below question [regarding finance], yes we do only offer funding to Sole Traders / Partnerships & Businesses. If you are not applying for one of these we unfortunately are unable to provide funding."

So just to make sure I'm following you correctly SolMiester, the Vaio laptop above would be able to sustain Oblivion and semi-recent games?

No, they are expensive because of the brand, not because they use any better components.

SolMiester
14-02-2008, 01:37 PM
As a friend of mine would say "Bloody Technology".

It seems its all set, I just have to wait till next week to process it.

I wish to thank everyone for their input! You guys have helped me much, as I would never have found out the details I have.

If you think of anything to add please let me know, I'm still open to see if this is could be beat :}

Dont tell me you just bought a VAIO with the ULV chip!......you wont be playing any recent games on that! Its low voltage because it doesnt run very fast!

vitalstatistix
14-02-2008, 01:43 PM
If you want pink or something then buy a mac.

Apple don't do Pink MacBooks - Dell Does pink Laptops. Apple does a pink iPod Nano to promote breast cancer awareness

The only other "Pink" Macs were the original G3 iMacs back in 1998 which actually came in Blueberry, Strawberry, Lime, Tangerine and Grape.

stormdragon
14-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Dont tell me you just bought a VAIO with the ULV chip!......you wont be playing any recent games on that! Its low voltage because it doesnt run very fast!

I do believe the Original Poster is going to get a VAIO with an Intel Core2 Duo Processor T8100. Not the ULV chip which they were originally looking at. One of these (http://www.sony.co.nz/products/product/computer/vaio-notebook/vgncr35gw.jsp) in some colour.

SolMiester
14-02-2008, 02:38 PM
I do believe the Original Poster is going to get a VAIO with an Intel Core2 Duo Processor T8100. Not the ULV chip which they were originally looking at. One of these (http://www.sony.co.nz/products/product/computer/vaio-notebook/vgncr35gw.jsp) in some colour.

Well, better than spending $5k at least, class 4 graphic, he wont be doing any gaming though!

AnokFero
14-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Okay I'm confused again lol.

The laptop from the CR series has a sub-par graphics with a ATI Mobility Radeon X2300?

stormdragon
14-02-2008, 06:13 PM
The graphics should be fine if your not expecting the highest detail. I have a laptop with ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 chipset and can can run games like Battlefield 2 and Age of Empires 3, Joint Task Force on decent settings. You could never run something like crysis on it but most desktops struggle with that.