PDA

View Full Version : Xtra - email smtp problem

Morgenmuffel
13-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Hi

Ok a client is having issues with xtra

And I haven't seen this error before, ironically this is the client that had virtually no problems during the bubble fiasco

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was 'xxxxxxxx. Subject 'Re: Message from the company', Account: 'mail.thesite.com (1)', Server: 'send.xtra.co.nz', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '553 From: address not verified; see http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/edit/alternate_email/index.html' (http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/edit/alternate_email/index.html%27), Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 553, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

First thing you need to know is that, this a domain that is not hosted by Xtra but xtra blocks 3rd party smtp servers so it has to use Xtras Smtp server, this has all worked fine until this morning and now she can no longer send emails,

As i am not an Xtra customer i am not really au-fait with this bubble Yahoo alternate emails thing, has anyone else come accross this?

Speedy Gonzales
13-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Looks like that error (0x800CCC78), means the from email is wrong.

And I take it SSL is meant to be enabled?

Morgenmuffel
13-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Yeah but why, the issue is that this has been working fine since Yahoo/Xtra first got in bed together, and suddenly today it's not working.

Nothing has changed on my clients settings, but they suddenly don't work anymore, makes me think Xtra have altered something

The last time the client had issues Xtra had changed something and it took me ages to find any mention of it on their site

Speedy Gonzales
13-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Pass I'm not with Xtra either.

Tell whoever to ring Xtra. They do nothing, change ISP.

Morgenmuffel
13-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Pass I'm not with Xtra either.

Tell whoever to ring Xtra. They do nothing, change ISP.
I've already told them that, however they are in a new-ish rural area so if they change ISPs they may loose the broadband option (with a full exchange out that way, or at least thats what i have been told), i am starting to think about recommending they get port 25 filtering turned off

Safari
13-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if Yahoo have changed something.
Make sure the email address is all lowercase, they might be rejecting any with caps.

What they could try is in their email program change the email address to their Xtra one.
Then in the Reply Address put in the domain email address.

If Yahoo are only allowing mail to be sent with Yahoo or Xtra addresses they are probably only checking the first email address and not the reply address.

decibel
13-02-2008, 07:11 PM
My understanding is that if the sender has signed up with the Yahoo bubble, then the outgoing server is send.xtra.co.nz with SSL, but if not [like me], then it is still smtp.xtra.co.nz and no SSL involved.

CYaBro
13-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Hi

Ok a client is having issues with xtra

And I haven't seen this error before, ironically this is the client that had virtually no problems during the bubble fiasco

First thing you need to know is that, this a domain that is not hosted by Xtra but xtra blocks 3rd party smtp servers so it has to use Xtras Smtp server, this has all worked fine until this morning and now she can no longer send emails,

As i am not an Xtra customer i am not really au-fait with this bubble Yahoo alternate emails thing, has anyone else come accross this?

I just set up a customers email this morning.
They have their domain hosted elsewhere but their ISP is Xtra.
I could not get the email sending to work at all using any of the Xtra settings - smtp.xtra.co.nz - send.xtra.co.nz - SSL etc etc.
So in the end I had to set it up using their domain host's smtp server and it worked.

greenie
13-02-2008, 07:39 PM
i had the same problem. we get email forwarded from another domain to an xtra account and have outlook reply from the other domain. all was working until today. i did the a verify alternate email address as per http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/edit/alternate_email/edit-29.html via the xtra bubble account settings and after about an hour for xtra to sync systems i can send again.

another great xtra change with no warning

stu161204
13-02-2008, 11:24 PM
xtra blocks 3rd party smtp servers so it has to use Xtras Smtp server,

That not true, I use at lest 2 different smtp server, & I donít need to use xtra's smtp server, that only applies if you run a smtp server from home.

I would try getting the client to turn off the SSL setting & see if that helps (I have found that send.xtra.co.nz, works with both SSL on & off.)

And if that does not work, try using smtp.xtra.co.nz

Morgenmuffel
14-02-2008, 07:22 AM
That not true, I use at lest 2 different smtp server, & I donít need to use xtra's smtp server, that only applies if you run a smtp server from home.

I would try getting the client to turn off the SSL setting & see if that helps (I have found that send.xtra.co.nz, works with both SSL on & off.)

And if that does not work, try using smtp.xtra.co.nz

Are you sure you haven't had port 25 filtering turned off, as originally we used the domains smtp server (hosted elsewhere), but Xtra changed something and we were unable to send using the smtp server on port 25, so we were sending on an alternate port number, then a couple of months later they altered something again and we couldn't send on that either.

pcmedia2003
17-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Yup, Xtra / Yahoo have screwed it up again!!!! Have a read of
http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-8603572,00.html

Basically it means (and I have had this confirmed from Xtra Complex Tech Support) that if a business or user has a domain name that has not been registered by Xtra, and they use the domain name for sending emails, they will have to register EVERY SINGLE email address they have on their domain with Yahoo. Some businesses will have 20, 30, 50 email addresses in their organisation. Not to mention that every time an employee joins or leaves the business, the time to add and remove email addresses is significant. We have done this process for some customers already, and the verification process is very time consuming.

This change is due to Yahoo /Xtra's attempts to reduce spam - although no other ISP has resorted to this heavy handed and unwieldy tactic.

My advice - change from Xtra to some ISP that actually cares! Vote with your feet and they (might) get the message - although I doubt it.

berryb
17-03-2008, 11:28 PM
I spoke to Xtra today. Managed to get a Kiwi answer the phone within the third ring, amazing. One of the networks I manage has their domain hosted somewhere else but uses Xtra as ISP. The network has it's own mail server. All incoming mail is direct to the server and all out going is to smtp.xtra.co.nz. Have port 25 filtering off but only did this since it was available, not due to any issues. Have not had an issues with this setup at any time and the guy I spoke to today said there shouldn't be with the new changes. The changes are due the a Yahoo policy change that Xtra have to confirm to. Hence if you are not with Yahoo Bubble then the changes should not affect you.